Tubby addresses coaching rumors

Of course the VA people read those comments as a 'non-denial, denial' and take them to mean he's coming. They also take the fact that that the university has made no effort to squelch the rumors in the press as a sign that Tubby has expressed interest through 'back channels.' Otherwise they'd push back on the rumors to avoid building false expectations.

What's the real truth? Who knows. I still think it's unlikely Tubby's leaving, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous.

Without trying to read too much into the words/message, he very easily could have said "I have no interest in the Virginia job, and will be the coach at Minnesota in 2009-10."

I don't know if he'll come or not, but I do believe he's the #1 target and will at least listen.

He's not going to VA, but that doesn't mean he's not going. I agree with Chuck. All he has to say is that he's staying at MN and will not look at other jobs. I haven't heard that. I think that once a top 5-10 job opens up (AZ is almost in that category) he will very seriously consider it.

I don't think he's going

I've heard from a few people who have talked to Tubby/Donna many times and they are extremely happy here. I would be shocked if he left with this recruiting class coming in.

That being said - it does make me feel better knowing that if by some shocking chance he does leave - I firmly believe Flip is waiting in the wings.

I've heard from a few people who have talked to Tubby/Donna many times and they are extremely happy here. I would be shocked if he left with this recruiting class coming in.

That being said - it does make me feel better knowing that if by some shocking chance he does leave - I firmly believe Flip is waiting in the wings.

Flip has never had to recruit.

So?

Flip has never had to recruit.

It doesn't mean he can't. If Tubby leaves (which I don't think he will) - Flip would be my first choice. He's a well known name and he has strong ties to the University which means he understands and loves what the fans do about Minnesota basketball/Williams Arena, etc.

I think Tubby is here for the long haul but yeah knowing Flip is around does make me feel better.

He's not going to VA, but that doesn't mean he's not going. I agree with Chuck. All he has to say is that he's staying at MN and will not look at other jobs. I haven't heard that. I think that once a top 5-10 job opens up (AZ is almost in that category) he will very seriously consider it.

I agree. For all the people who are sick of having this issue come up every time there's a BCS opening, too bad. I need this support group to help convince me that Tubby will stay and everything will be okay.

Not only is Tubby's "response" to the current coaching rumors too vague for me, but he has always spokent that way about Minnesota. When he talks about the job he's doing here or the status of the program, he talks about "we" in terms of himself or the coaching staff, not the program. He uses phrases like, "We've done this everywhere we've been" ... "That's what we wanted to do when we got here." It hasn't been one or two times, it's in most of his interviews.

Go ahead and tell me I'm reading too much into it. But I have also moved from job to job, and to me his choice of words make him sound like someone who doesn't feel at home yet. He sounds more like a mercenary. I hope he's here for 10 more years, but I'm not confident.

I think his tenure he depends entirely on how he envisions the rest of his career. He can build the gophers into a consistent top 20 program. However, it is highly, highly unlikely he will win a national championship here. Again, not impossible, but nobody would put money on it. So, if he is driven to win one more and he only has a few years left, he will leave for a more elite program. (I could be wrong, but I don't think money is the issue because he's not going to make that much more at another school in this economy.) If other things are more important to him at this point in his life, he'll be more likely to stay.

I agree with HM in terms of his choice of words when he refers to this situation, but at least he's not acting like Lou Holtz. Let's face it, the U and Tubby are strange bedfellows. They both needed each other at precisely the right moment and a very unlikely hire was made. That may not be the case anymore.

I am old-time Kentucky fan and a new Minny supporter since Tubby became your coach. I've followed Tubby since I noticed this young black assistant on Coach Pitino's staff. He seemed very nice and something you don't see everyday on the UK Basketball Staff. I have followed his days at Tulsa, Georgia, and Kentucky.

I do not know him personally nor am I a friend, but I know his tendencies. I have never seen him happier than these past two year. He has a spark and energy that I've not seen before from him. Donna is happy again and he has Saul with him. Most important though is the fact he feels wanted, loved, appreciated, and needed. Folks, you have a keeper in Tubby Smith. My advice is treat him well and appreciate him for what he is doing and will accomplish at your fine school. One other thing, Tubby is a plain spoken man so you can believe what he tells you. He is not Lou Holtz. Tubby is all go and absolutely no show. Enjoy him because I do miss him at UK.

Personal note as a first time poster: I am 55 years old from near Owensboro Kentucky and have been a fan of Kentucky basketball since age 5. I am very old school that says if you were ever touched by the Blue then you're forever family and will be respected for life, because you enriched the history and glory of Kentucky Basketball. These loud mouth newbies have never been taught that important lesson and it detracts from our heretiage. Tubby certainly enriched our school's glory!!!

Thank you for letting me speak my peace. Good luck and God bless you. I will be watching your fine teams with increased interest.

I think his tenure he depends entirely on how he envisions the rest of his career. He can build the gophers into a consistent top 20 program. However, it is highly, highly unlikely he will win a national championship here. Again, not impossible, but nobody would put money on it. So, if he is driven to win one more and he only has a few years left, he will leave for a more elite program. (I could be wrong, but I don't think money is the issue because he's not going to make that much more at another school in this economy.) If other things are more important to him at this point in his life, he'll be more likely to stay.

I agree with HM in terms of his choice of words when he refers to this situation, but at least he's not acting like Lou Holtz. Let's face it, the U and Tubby are strange bedfellows. They both needed each other at precisely the right moment and a very unlikely hire was made. That may not be the case anymore.

Well that's it for me. He's leaving. I guess we better get used to it.:rolleyes:

If I wanted to send Tubby a letter... what would the address be? Anyone done that?

Just thanking him for the turnaround. The confidence is back. The spark is back. Recruiting... etc

Unfortunatly we are going to go through this...

Every time any job is thought to be "open" or "opening soon". I mean, Alabama fans are certain that Tubby will be in Tuscaloosa soon. Why would he go there? Alabama has no real history in Basketball, they had a little success with Wimp Sanderson, but nothing earth shattering. In their minds Alabama is a way better job. Just imagine what it's going to be when Arizona ends their season. It will be this way until he leaves, or we start to win big every year(Top 3 B10, 16 or 8 at NCAA.

For Tubby '98.......

thanks for dropping by. I am the same age, and have the same sort of reverence (albeit hokey) for Gopher basketball as you do for the Cats. Of course, I do not share as many quality triumphs here as you have had, but we have had some terrific people and players.

Although I do not know Tubby personally either, I'm taken by his down to earth manner. He's not the greatest "sound bite," in the world, but speaks the truth as he sees it, and he always gives the fan who really loves basketball, something good to chew on.

And Jmiche probably nailed it as well, Tubby can do whatever he wants becasue of the man he is, and his future depends on his personal goals, and those of his family.

But wouldn't it be great if he DID win ou a National Championship here. Hey, Clem got tothe Final 4Tubby can too.

Tubby '98.......come up and see us, we play all our games indoors!

>>Hey, Clem got tothe Final 4<<

Clem cheated and whined his way and had a very mediocre record to show for it all. He left the program in a state of disgrace, took his money, and slithered away. If I never see his name again, it will be too soon.

How many times does the man have to say he isn't interested in leaving. Personally, I think

1. he is trying to be gracious to other schools. As one of the bloggers on the thread said, he is an honorable man. He could simply be being respectful to the other schools.

2. He is trying to explain his rationale in being at MN rather then another school. He is wanted, needed and might I add greatly loved and appreciated. I would think if fans keep tossing it back and forth, he may even get a little annoyed and insulted.

He receives top money and the University will bend over backwards to keep him both here and happy so long as he continues to be an honorable man and building a highly respectable winning program.

TUBBY IS NOT LOU HOLTZ! I realize what are considered more upper echalon schools (whatever that may mean) will always consider the coaches from supposedly lessor schools, it is the nature of the business. But fans need to try and show a little backbone here.

Even if Tubby does decide there is an offer to good to refuse, which I think would be a huge mistake on his part since the more upper echalon schools would be returning to the unappreciated meat grinder, the Gophers have swung the door wide open for him and I highly doubt they could do more short of replacing the barn. Last I heard, Tubby has gotten to appreciate the charm of it.

Had to vent...getting more then a little weary of all the Tubby going elsewhere talk.

I am old-time Kentucky fan and a new Minny supporter since Tubby became your coach. I've followed Tubby since I noticed this young black assistant on Coach Pitino's staff. He seemed very nice and something you don't see everyday on the UK Basketball Staff. I have followed his days at Tulsa, Georgia, and Kentucky.

I do not know him personally nor am I a friend, but I know his tendencies. I have never seen him happier than these past two year. He has a spark and energy that I've not seen before from him. Donna is happy again and he has Saul with him. Most important though is the fact he feels wanted, loved, appreciated, and needed. Folks, you have a keeper in Tubby Smith. My advice is treat him well and appreciate him for what he is doing and will accomplish at your fine school. One other thing, Tubby is a plain spoken man so you can believe what he tells you. He is not Lou Holtz. Tubby is all go and absolutely no show. Enjoy him because I do miss him at UK.

Personal note as a first time poster: I am 55 years old from near Owensboro Kentucky and have been a fan of Kentucky basketball since age 5. I am very old school that says if you were ever touched by the Blue then you're forever family and will be respected for life, because you enriched the history and glory of Kentucky Basketball. These loud mouth newbies have never been taught that important lesson and it detracts from our heretiage. Tubby certainly enriched our school's glory!!!

Thank you for letting me speak my peace. Good luck and God bless you. I will be watching your fine teams with increased interest.

Send these good Gopher folks some Moonlight BBQ and maybe some burgoo also. A Taste Of The 'Boro maybe.

Well Clem.......

is at least partially responsible for Tubby being here. He lives in Kentucky and was one of was the first one to recommend to Smith that this was a great place to coach.

He lost control of the program, but we had some good/above average years with him and we WERE IN THE FINAL FOUR!

He is in a bit of a no-win situation with the comments. If gets specific and says 'I'm not interested in the UVA job' the Alabama and Georgia people will take it as code that he IS interested in them.

How many times does the man have to say he isn't interested in leaving. Personally, I think

1. he is trying to be gracious to other schools. As one of the bloggers on the thread said, he is an honorable man. He could simply be being respectful to the other schools.

2. He is trying to explain his rationale in being at MN rather then another school. He is wanted, needed and might I add greatly loved and appreciated. I would think if fans keep tossing it back and forth, he may even get a little annoyed and insulted.

He receives top money and the University will bend over backwards to keep him both here and happy so long as he continues to be an honorable man and building a highly respectable winning program.

TUBBY IS NOT LOU HOLTZ! I realize what are considered more upper echalon schools (whatever that may mean) will always consider the coaches from supposedly lessor schools, it is the nature of the business. But fans need to try and show a little backbone here.

Even if Tubby does decide there is an offer to good to refuse, which I think would be a huge mistake on his part since the more upper echalon schools would be returning to the unappreciated meat grinder, the Gophers have swung the door wide open for him and I highly doubt they could do more short of replacing the barn. Last I heard, Tubby has gotten to appreciate the charm of it.

Had to vent...getting more then a little weary of all the Tubby going elsewhere talk.

:clap::clap: Well said

He is in a bit of a no-win situation with the comments. If gets specific and says 'I'm not interested in the UVA job' the Alabama and Georgia people will take it as code that he IS interested in them.

How about if he says, "I have no interest in any other job right now and will definitely be the coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers in 2009-2010." I would be satisfied with that. UVA, Alabama and Georgia (not to mention Arizona and Minnesota) can all take that as code that he's not going anywhere.

"We have no reason to be looking at anything else" -- how Myron quoted him -- is code for "I'm not looking, but I'll answer the phone."

How about if he says, "I have no interest in any other job right now and will definitely be the coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers in 2009-2010." I would be satisfied with that. UVA, Alabama and Georgia (not to mention Arizona and Minnesota) can all take that as code that he's not going anywhere.

"We have no reason to be looking at anything else" -- how Myron quoted him -- is code for "I'm not looking, but I'll answer the phone."

It would admittedly be better if he made a stronger statement. Maybe he just wants to keep a little leverage with Maturi. "Hmm, you say we can't start fundraising for my practice facility for 6 months? It sure be nice if we could do it sooner. You say you'll get on it right away? Great."

Appreciate the personal insight. Thanks for stopping by!

It would admittedly be better if he made a stronger statement. Maybe he just wants to keep a little leverage with Maturi. "Hmm, you say we can't start fundraising for my practice facility for 6 months? It sure be nice if we could do it sooner. You say you'll get on it right away? Great."

I woudn't discount this at all...seems as reasonable an explanation as any other. It makes me think of when Tubby made that comment about the Gophers needing to look at another option than the the Barn long term...I always assumed he made the comment for the same reasons. It was a way to tell Maturi "Hey, I know TCF takes priority and I'm ok with that but don't forget you promised me some new facilities too". I kinda figured if he got the practice facility that the Barn would no longer be such an issue.

According to Andy Katz of ESPN, on coaching carousels:

• The coaching carousel won't move until some of these major jobs hire, since a lot of them are going after the same names: Capel, Minnesota's Tubby Smith, VCU's Anthony Grant, Missouri's Mike Anderson. Maybe I'll be proved wrong, but I can't see Smith leaving Minnesota. Capel and Anderson have good situations which they don't have to leave. Grant has Larry Sanders returning, and I'd be more inclined to see him go to the ACC than the SEC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3999354&name=katz_andy

This would not have been said 2 years ago or even last year. He's got a great thing going here. You don't leave great things.

QUOTE jamiche "However, it is highly, highly unlikely he will win a national championship here. Again, not impossible, but nobody would put money on it."

Jamiche,

I disagree with your attitude on us winning a national championship. Tubby has shown in two years he can recruit as well, if not better then Clem. If Clem can get us to the final four, Tubby can. With the incoming recruits we likely have similar talent to our final four team, if you can get to the final four you can certainly win it all.

I also think Minnesota is consistently putting out better talent then when Clem was here. If we had Woodside and Aldrich, how deep would we have gone into the tournament? Woodside is a senior so we can't compare him too heavily to sophomores, but he would have been a great fit with this squad. There are several other solid MN players playing elsewhere, but we saw that Tubby grabbed the best talent this year.

Minnesota has a huge advantage in that it's the only division one program in the state, with a major metropolitan area with good AAU teams. Recruiting could be as easy here as it is anywhere in the country. If Tubby can convince the best MN players to stay home then pluck a few other highly talented individuals from out of state, there's absolutely no reason we can't or won't win a national championship. We might not be able to get to the final four as consistently as UNC, Duke or a few other programs, but we're certainly on level playing field for recruiting against most schools. We just need a little more brand recognition and resume improvement and Tubby is quickly improving those.

Souhan has a less positive take:

Subject: Star-Tribune article (inside): "Virginia could be perfect fit for Tubby Smith"
Posted by: hooskerdu on Fri Mar 20 2009 8:42:38 PM
By Jim Souhan
Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
(MCT)
GREENSBORO, N.C. — Tubby Smith worked as an assistant
basketball coach at Virginia Commonwealth, South Carolina and
Kentucky.
He worked as a head coach at Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and
Minnesota.
He was born and raised in Maryland, and played college basketball in
North Carolina.
He has family in Maryland and Virginia.
A realist would probably look at Smith's resume and assume that he,
like most power coaches, is always looking for his next job, a place
offering a little more money, or better facilities, a more supportive
atmosphere, or a better chance to win a championship. Or that, as a
successful 57-year-old, he might take a hint from other well-off
Minnesotans and look for a warmer place to spend his winters.
The typical myopic Gopher fan would probably look at Smith's resume
and assume he has found his dream job in Dinkytown, that a man who
has spent most of his life in the South has, in two years, planted deep
roots in the frozen tundra.
We may find out soon whether Smith has any roots at all. If Smith's
intention was to take advantage of Minnesota's hospitality, relative to
the crazed atmosphere at Kentucky, he could stay. Minnesota is, after
all, an easy place to coach if you are competent.
Smith must already be the most powerful figure in the athletic
department, Williams Arena offers a distinct home-court advantage, and
he will never receive the level of criticism here for finishing seventh in the
Big Ten that he received in Kentucky for getting beat deep in the NCAA
tournament.
If he's looking to leave, though, Smith could depart quickly.
You couldn't run into a sportswriter or a basketball official in Greensboro
who didn't ask whether Smith is going to take the vacant Virginia job.
The speculation has yet to rise above the level of rumor, but we should
never let a power coach complain about these rumors, because power
coaches so rarely tell the truth about their intentions. Power coaches,
even those as classy as Smith, have taught us not to trust them.
Thus far, Smith has said only, "We have no reason to be looking at
anything else. And I'm very happy where we are."
If Smith wanted to quash the rumor, he could offer a stronger
statement, something along the lines of: "I have no interest in any other
job and will remain in Minnesota at least for the length of my contract."
Saying anything weaker than that invites speculation.
At his age, Smith's next move might be to a school where he will feel
comfortable coaching until retirement. He would be a natural fit in his
home state of Maryland, but Gary Williams snuffed rumors of his
impending firing with a strong late-season performance. Smith would
probably welcome warmer climes, which is why Arizona would make
sense.
Virginia could be a perfect fit for Smith. It offers many things Minnesota
doesn't — warmer weather, an up-to-date practice facility, a place his
wife would like to live, and an ACC pedigree. Virginia has struggled
enough that Smith could receive credit for rebuilding another program if
he has any success.
Smith could leave Minnesota bragging that he resurrected a program
that was in shambles when he arrived, and he would be right.
Smith did not grow up dreaming of coaching in Williams Arena. He
knew little about Minnesota- the program or the state — until, sick of
the abuse he was taking in Kentucky, he called old friend Clem
Haskins to ask whether he should be interested in the Gophers job.
Haskins probably told him something like, "It's an easy place to coach,
most of the media is soft, the fans are happy if you can get them to the
tournament, it's worth a look."
Minnesota is a nice way station for a power coach, but it is not a place
Smith can expect to win another NCAA title, or a place he expects to
retire.
Minnesota and Smith have been good for each other so far. That doesn't
mean this relationship is built to last.
———
(c) 2009, Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Visit the Star Tribune Web edition on the World Wide Web at
http://www.startribune.com
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Souhan has a less positive take:

Subject: Star-Tribune article (inside): "Virginia could be perfect fit for Tubby Smith"
Posted by: hooskerdu on Fri Mar 20 2009 8:42:38 PM
By Jim Souhan
Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
(MCT)
GREENSBORO, N.C. — Tubby Smith worked as an assistant
basketball coach at Virginia Commonwealth, South Carolina and
Kentucky.
He worked as a head coach at Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky and
Minnesota.
He was born and raised in Maryland, and played college basketball in
North Carolina.
He has family in Maryland and Virginia.
A realist would probably look at Smith's resume and assume that he,
like most power coaches, is always looking for his next job, a place
offering a little more money, or better facilities, a more supportive
atmosphere, or a better chance to win a championship. Or that, as a
successful 57-year-old, he might take a hint from other well-off
Minnesotans and look for a warmer place to spend his winters.
The typical myopic Gopher fan would probably look at Smith's resume
and assume he has found his dream job in Dinkytown, that a man who
has spent most of his life in the South has, in two years, planted deep
roots in the frozen tundra.
We may find out soon whether Smith has any roots at all. If Smith's
intention was to take advantage of Minnesota's hospitality, relative to
the crazed atmosphere at Kentucky, he could stay. Minnesota is, after
all, an easy place to coach if you are competent.
Smith must already be the most powerful figure in the athletic
department, Williams Arena offers a distinct home-court advantage, and
he will never receive the level of criticism here for finishing seventh in the
Big Ten that he received in Kentucky for getting beat deep in the NCAA
tournament.
If he's looking to leave, though, Smith could depart quickly.
You couldn't run into a sportswriter or a basketball official in Greensboro
who didn't ask whether Smith is going to take the vacant Virginia job.
The speculation has yet to rise above the level of rumor, but we should
never let a power coach complain about these rumors, because power
coaches so rarely tell the truth about their intentions. Power coaches,
even those as classy as Smith, have taught us not to trust them.
Thus far, Smith has said only, "We have no reason to be looking at
anything else. And I'm very happy where we are."
If Smith wanted to quash the rumor, he could offer a stronger
statement, something along the lines of: "I have no interest in any other
job and will remain in Minnesota at least for the length of my contract."
Saying anything weaker than that invites speculation.
At his age, Smith's next move might be to a school where he will feel
comfortable coaching until retirement. He would be a natural fit in his
home state of Maryland, but Gary Williams snuffed rumors of his
impending firing with a strong late-season performance. Smith would
probably welcome warmer climes, which is why Arizona would make
sense.
Virginia could be a perfect fit for Smith. It offers many things Minnesota
doesn't — warmer weather, an up-to-date practice facility, a place his
wife would like to live, and an ACC pedigree. Virginia has struggled
enough that Smith could receive credit for rebuilding another program if
he has any success.
Smith could leave Minnesota bragging that he resurrected a program
that was in shambles when he arrived, and he would be right.
Smith did not grow up dreaming of coaching in Williams Arena. He
knew little about Minnesota- the program or the state — until, sick of
the abuse he was taking in Kentucky, he called old friend Clem
Haskins to ask whether he should be interested in the Gophers job.
Haskins probably told him something like, "It's an easy place to coach,
most of the media is soft, the fans are happy if you can get them to the
tournament, it's worth a look."
Minnesota is a nice way station for a power coach, but it is not a place
Smith can expect to win another NCAA title, or a place he expects to
retire.
Minnesota and Smith have been good for each other so far. That doesn't
mean this relationship is built to last.
———
(c) 2009, Star Tribune (Minneapolis)
Visit the Star Tribune Web edition on the World Wide Web at
http://www.startribune.com
Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

Wow he thinks highly of the program/state doesn't he?

Seriously do people realize how hard it is to win a national championship? I mean Rick Pitino has only one and he's RICK PITINO. A lot of things have to go perfectly for things to happen. Look at 1997 - play that Indiana game over 100 times and 99 times out of 100 Indiana wins. If Indiana wins that game maybe we don't have the season we had.

Any school can win a championship with good players, a good coach, talent and a bit of luck. Gophers are no different. If Tubby leaves he leaves - I'm sure there are more than a few coaches who would be interested in picking up where he left off. I can think of one off the top of my head

"At his age, Smith's next move might be to a school where he will feel comfortable coaching until retirement... Minnesota is a nice way station for a power coach "

Here's what Tubby had to say last year:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S437281.shtml?cat=1

"It's certainly one of the best decisions I've made--in a long time. Maybe the best decision I've ever made. There's a lot of potential here. The people have been great."

Can you ease any fan concern that you might leave this job down the road for 'greener pastures?'

"I'm very satisfied with being here. I have a 7-year contract and I expect that---I expect to retire here to be honest with you. Donna and I are both very happy and very grateful to have this chance to lead the Gopher program. And people ask me, Why Minnesota? And I say, why not? I've never really lived in a city of this size, that has the diversity and the things to do. People ask me about the winter, and I'm like, what winter? That's all I know, is the winter we had and they say it's one of the tougher winters we've had here. But like I tell parents and other people, basketball is played in indoors."

Top Bottom