Trucks anyone?

Wow but crazy!

Lucky student athletes.

Correction: gave them a leased truck. Once the lease is up the truck goes back.

Even the kids who don't even need to dress because they will never play?

We're getting very near shut it all down if you're not paying obscene NIL
Hint: Minnesota is not of those that will ever pay enough NIL (I don't think that's wrong btw)

Lease at $400/month for 85 players equals 🟰 $408,000/year (little extra in year one of lease for taxes and license). Substantially less than what the very top college QBs are getting in cash per year. So bizarre.

College scholarships usually require a disclosure of income by the benefitted student. Don’t think the USSCt has ever had any problem with such a mandated disclosure. NCAA should make a rule that all schools in P5 must, for all athletic scholarship players, (1) require the players to report total NIL payments to the school and (2) publish publicly aggregate NIL payments, monthly. Then, when teams played, fans could know, in addition to recruiting ratings, the extent of professional payments to scholarship players. (A few of the top paid players might opt out of scholarships, rather than report, I suppose.) Might give games like Ohio State against the Gophers a new form of David vs Goliath appeal: $12M vs $0.5M dollars. Like when the Twins play the Yankees. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Right after Coyle locks up the Vikings, Timberwolves/Lynx ... I'm confident he'll have 85 trucks for the boys.
Oh wait, "We would like to provide trucks for our football players but at the University of Minnesota we feel strongly that any NIL benefits should benefit all of our student athletes and, right now 1,576
trucks is more than one dealership wants to handle. So, we'll revisit this in the future."

6 month lease only
But, don't transfer, don't incur a string of traffic violations, stay academically eligible and it renews for another 6 months.
New truck insurance for a 20 year old is probably expensive? Who is paying that? Says the students are responsible for taxes...Utah have sales tax? License plates for new truck are hundreds? Taxes is a sizeable chunk. They must already be getting a monthly stipend too for all 85 guys or it's a burden vs a blessing.

But, don't transfer, don't incur a string of traffic violations, stay academically eligible and it renews for another 6 months.
New truck insurance for a 20 year old is probably expensive? Who is paying that? Says the students are responsible for taxes...Utah have sales tax? License plates for new truck are hundreds? Taxes is a sizeable chunk. They must already be getting a monthly stipend too for all 85 guys or it's a burden vs a blessing.
Plus it's a Dodge so it will be in for repairs half the time.

Lease at $400/month for 85 players equals 🟰 $408,000/year (little extra in year one of lease for taxes and license). Substantially less than what the very top college QBs are getting in cash per year. So bizarre.

College scholarships usually require a disclosure of income by the benefitted student. Don’t think the USSCt has ever had any problem with such a mandated disclosure. NCAA should make a rule that all schools in P5 must, for all athletic scholarship players, (1) require the players to report total NIL payments to the school and (2) publish publicly aggregate NIL payments, monthly. Then, when teams played, fans could know, in addition to recruiting ratings, the extent of professional payments to scholarship players. (A few of the top paid players might opt out of scholarships, rather than report, I suppose.) Might give games like Ohio State against the Gophers a new form of David vs Goliath appeal: $12M vs $0.5M dollars. Like when the Twins play the Yankees. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I believe the players have to pay the taxes too. It's cool on the surface but really isn't that big of a deal.

Gophers counter Utah's deal by putting together a plan to give one truck to one fan, well, not actually a truck, sort of a smallish SUV, but hey, it's a start. It only happens though if the Gopher defense scores a touchdown at a home game.
  • Utah = every scholly gets a truck while they're on the team.
  • MN = one fan may get a small SUV, but we get to keep it.
Now if you're a true fan and win, I say "sell the Toyota" and give the dollars to our NIL fund.

The super League will be composed of schools willing to play the nil game.. the gophers will not be in that league...
We're getting very near shut it all down if you're not paying obscene NIL
Hint: Minnesota is not of those that will ever pay enough NIL (I don't think that's wrong btw)

New levels of tax evasion will likely come out of this. I agree that anyone on scholarship should have to publicly report NIL. Who’s providing all the legal tax and other support while these kids are going to class.

Insurance on those will be a lot. Especially if not on a policy with mom and dad. Tax, title and license. Enjoy it kids. You just got a -$3000/yr gift

The NIL deal covers insurance. I’d link it but not cooperating
I’m guessing they got some kind of blanket fleet insurance deal.

The NIL deal covers insurance. I’d link it but not cooperating
I’m guessing they got some kind of blanket fleet insurance deal.
Man that can’t be cheap… the insurance.

I get they pretty much have to cover it (some kid won’t do it) … bunch of college kids can’t be cheap to insure.

Man that can’t be cheap… the insurance.

I get they pretty much have to cover it (some kid won’t do it) … bunch of college kids can’t be cheap to insure.
Federated is big Gopher backer...we should have an inside track on that part of the equation.
I agree tho, if there are a few claims and rates spike and it could be ugly.

Correction: gave them a leased truck. Once the lease is up the truck goes back.

Yup. It's cool.....don't get me wrong......but they can't turn around and sell the thing for 30-40k in a couple years when they're done at Utah.

Top Bottom