Trib says Gophers ARE going bowling

the Swabbies have spoken.

basically, by playing the Army-Navy game after the Bowl selection deadline, Army and Navy are forfeiting their chance of going to a bowl game if they can't win 6 of their first 11 games. that's their choice.

in trying to get more information on this, I ran across some articles with Army and Navy players saying that beating Army or beating Navy is more important than going to a bowl game. In essence, the Army-Navy game IS their bowl game.

I'm glad I don't have to root against Navy. My dad was in the Navy in WWII, so it would feel wrong rooting for Navy to lose. (if you're wondering, he didn't see combat. he was an electrician's mate and spent most of his time in Newfoundland working on ships that were getting ready to make the Atlantic crossing.)

the Swabbies have spoken.

basically, by playing the Army-Navy game after the Bowl selection deadline, Army and Navy are forfeiting their chance of going to a bowl game if they can't win 6 of their first 11 games. that's their choice.

in trying to get more information on this, I ran across some articles with Army and Navy players saying that beating Army or beating Navy is more important than going to a bowl game. In essence, the Army-Navy game IS their bowl game.

I'm glad I don't have to root against Navy. My dad was in the Navy in WWII, so it would feel wrong rooting for Navy to lose. (if you're wondering, he didn't see combat. he was an electrician's mate and spent most of his time in Newfoundland working on ships that were getting ready to make the Atlantic crossing.)
Prior to 2008, Army-Navy would have been played this coming weekend. When conference championship games became a thing, they moved it back a week.

Prior to 2008, Army-Navy would have been played this coming weekend. When conference championship games became a thing, they moved it back a week.

Yep and both schools were adamant that they wanted the game to be played on a date where there were few, or no other games played. That stance hasn't changed.

This is direct from the Navy athletics website.
• Navy needs to beat SMU on Saturday to become bowl eligible. The Army-Navy game is after bowl selections are announced.

Navy Travels to Dallas to Battle 25th-Ranked SMU in Final AAC Tilt - Naval Academy Athletics

Navy and #25 SMU meet for the 25th time on the gridiron and for the 9th and final time as conference foes (SMU is moving to the ACC next year) when the two square

navysports.com

Navy was clobbered by SMU Saturday and are now 5-6. Service teams have to have six wins by Dec. 3, the bowl announcement date, to be considered. Navy is out, the Gophers are in (somewhere - probably Detroit vs, the MAC champion, but there seem to be other possibilities). Fox has us in Detroit vs. Marshall, ESPN in Detroit vs. Ohio U, but their other expert has us vs. Iowa State in the Phoenix-based Guaranteed Rate Bowl. Detroit Free Press has Gophers in Detroit vs. Toledo, as does Betting Pros. 247 Sports has the Gophers in the New Mexico Bowl vs. Jerry Kill! Athlon has us in Detroit vs. Eastern Michigan.

Last edited:

Top Bottom