Treyton Thompson

Your ability to turn a positive thread into your hate for Pitino is unmatched. If Pitino has a solid 2020-21 season with a good recruiting class lined up we'll see him playing for Pitino. Simple as that.

A poster asked why I didn’t have anything to say so I said something.

Seeing how I hate Pitino it was an easy shot to take. ?

A poster asked why I didn’t have anything to say so I said something.

Seeing how I hate Pitino it was an easy shot to take. ?
Fair enough. At least we can both agree this is a good get for the program regardless of the coach.

nice to see a Minnesota native PF who wants to rep his home state cough cough Garcia

Hell yes. Welcome, Treyton.

It's nice to have two top 100 players headlining the next two classes. They also play positions we need the most help at. This is comforting after a disappointing weekend for Gopher sports.

Congratulations Treyton! Does uplift a bad Gopher weekend where the football team played not to lose and we saw how that turned out.

per the Alexandria Echo Press:

Thompson gave a verbal commitment to Minnesota and head coach Richard Pitino on Nov. 30, becoming the first commitment for the Gophers’ 2021 recruiting class.

“They have everything that I really want,” Thompson said. “The practice facility, the weight lifting and everything like that. The cafeteria for their athletes is right next to where I would be living. It’s one of the top places in the country now after they’ve redone it. Richard Pitino is a really good coach who has been around coaching his whole life with his dad being one of the better coaches. Overall, I just had a really good connection with them. I felt if I wanted to get to the next level after college, it would be a good spot to go to.”

Thompson grew up a fan of the Gophers and said that did play into his decision some. It started from his time performing with the Aces, Alexandria’s youth performance basketball team that put on shows at halftimes all over the country.

“I remember watching them play and wanting to be a part of that,” Thompson said of the Gophers. “That influenced me a lot. Also, I just want to make an impact on all the other Minnesota kids, trying to tell them Minnesota is a good college, stay home. My parents, my grandparents, they all want to watch me, so they’ll probably come to every single game.”

Go Gophers!!

I think kids in short just want to experience a different environment than where they grew up for college, especially when they have free tuition to consider.

I think kids in short just want to experience a different environment than where they grew up for college, especially when they have free tuition to consider.

I think this is correct. The fact that most of the HS basketball talent in MN lies within 30 miles of the U is a disadvantage, but it can be overcome. Better facilities than the competition helps.

We almost always have success landing Minnesota kids outside the twin cities. Wish there was more talent outside TC

We almost always have success landing Minnesota kids outside the twin cities. Wish there was more talent outside TC

Who have we landed outside the TC? I realize there isn't a ton of kids to land, but we've missed on a bunch of the betters ones in my opinion. Madsen x 2 (this year), Matthew Hurt, Illikainen, Trapp (I think gophers offered), Nate Wolters (walk on offered), Dahlman...

Russ Archambault, Rick Rickert, Jonathan Williams, Michael Hurt, Big Przy, Rychart (walk-on), Sanden is about what I can think of in the past 20+ years. Please advise if I am missing any, I'm certainly curious.

Edit: I'm going through the historical rosters. Its hard to find who else was D1 from anything before like 2010 (on 247 at least)

Ohnstad, Bauer.

Last edited:

Who have we landed outside the TC? I realize there isn't a ton of kids to land, but we've missed on a bunch of the betters ones in my opinion. Madsen x 2 (this year), Matthew Hurt, Illikainen, Trapp (I think gophers offered), Nate Wolters (walk on offered), Dahlman...

Russ Archambault, Rick Rickert, Jonathan Williams, Michael Hurt is about what I can think of in the past 20+ years. Please advise if I am missing any, I'm certainly curious.

If we had offered both Madsen brothers I'd bet money we would have gotten them. Same with Wolters. Hard to say we missed on them when we didn't give ourselves a chance.

If we had offered both Madsen brothers I'd bet money we would have gotten them. Same with Wolters. Hard to say we missed on them when we didn't give ourselves a chance.

Thats fair. The Wolters thing always confused me. I watched him play most of his high school games. Absolutely dominant. Not sure if he didn't look the part or his AAU team didn't play the right tournaments or what the issue was.

Thats fair. The Wolters thing always confused me. I watched him play most of his high school games. Absolutely dominant. Not sure if he didn't look the part or his AAU team didn't play the right tournaments or what the issue was.

I could be remembering wrong, but I think he played for a really weak AAU team that didn't get him any exposure.

I could be remembering wrong, but I think he played for a really weak AAU team that didn't get him any exposure.

He played for the Comets, before that organization was well known. Kid was cold blooded in high school, but hindsight is 20/20. Who knows how he develops if he doesn't play much for the Gophers, ya know?

Russ Archambault, Rick Rickert, Jonathan Williams, Michael Hurt, Big Przy, Rychart (walk-on), Sanden is about what I can think of in the past 20+ years. Please advise if I am missing any, I'm certainly curious.

Edit: I'm going through the historical rosters. Its hard to find who else was D1 from anything before like 2010 (on 247 at least)

Ohnstad, Bauer.
Trapp...best miss in the history of the world...if we actually offered him...which we did not...

Ohnstad, Bauer.

Adam Trapp plays DII ball as does Illikainen. I coached against Wolters and he was a beast in HS, but no one knew he'd have that level of success at SDSU. Even SDSU came in super late. Dahlman didn't play hardly at all at MSU and the other Dahlman was a 6'6 center. Bergren could be considered a miss of an outstate kid same with a Matt Janning maybe. Not a ton of outstate kids who are studs at basketball. A lot of those communities are hockey and wrestling dominated.

Adam Trapp plays DII ball as does Illikainen. I coached against Wolters and he was a beast in HS, but no one knew he'd have that level of success at SDSU. Even SDSU came in super late. Dahlman didn't play hardly at all at MSU and the other Dahlman was a 6'6 center. Bergren could be considered a miss of an outstate kid same with a Matt Janning maybe. Not a ton of outstate kids who are studs at basketball. A lot of those communities are hockey and wrestling dominated.

There are simply far far far fewer kids. Lower levels of competition, less overall talent and far less minorities

Dyami Starks could have helped the Gophers.

I think the Gophers should offer Eli King, FWIW

Dyami Starks could have helped the Gophers.

I think the Gophers should offer Eli King, FWIW
Woodard, Cory Johnson, and Manyang were more talented but headcases. Loved Dyami too. Dude hit a half court buzzer beater on the team I used to coach and made ESPN.
I think Eli King gets an offer honestly. Kid will be in the top 125 range

Last edited:

Just listened to Treyton on doogie's podcast. Obviously had a lot of good things to say about the Gophers and that he may try to nudge some other in-state recruits we'll be after in the direction of the U. Will be playing AAU for D1 MN this summer.

Eli King this kid could be either play basketball or football. Fun to watch. Go Gophers!

Going back a ways but there was Kevin Loge from Morris.

Top Bottom