Trey Potts injury

Ryan Burns likes to complain about this on "Gopher Gridiron Radio," but he's got a point.

the NFL is required to give updates on player injuries and status.

In College, it's up to each team, and most teams give out nothing. So the Gophers went into the Illinois game with the #2 RB and (arguably) #2 QB not available due to injuries, and no one knew anything about it. Likewise, Illinois gave no info on its QB position until just before kickoff when we learned DeVito would play.

I think colleges should provide injury info in a similar fashion to the pros.

you can bet that Tanner Morgan's status will be a secret until about 6:15pm on Saturday.

Ryan Burns likes to complain about this on "Gopher Gridiron Radio," but he's got a point.

In College, it's up to each team, and most teams give out nothing. So the Gophers went into the Illinois game with the #2 RB and (arguably) #2 QB not available due to injuries, and no one knew anything about it. Likewise, Illinois gave no info on its QB position until just before kickoff when we learned DeVito would play.

you can bet that Tanner Morgan's status will be a secret until about 6:15pm on Saturday.
The NFL only does it for gambling and it's somewhat of a sham.

I don't really have an issue with no one saying anything in the NCAA, it's almost more honest that way.

Nope. Collegiate players shouldn't have to provide anyone their medical information.

It's sad the NFL requires HIPAA waivers to appease gamblers, but at least the players get paid a lot of money in return.

Sadly, the Gophers didn't possess the ball long enough on Saturday to use a 2nd RB. He didn't miss much.

Glad he's back. When he's getting reps things are usually going well for the Gophers.

I can see where it is frustrating for fans, but I don't see why college teams/players/coaches owe it to fans to disclose the info.

Nope. Collegiate players shouldn't have to provide anyone their medical information.

It's sad the NFL requires HIPAA waivers to appease gamblers, but at least the players get paid a lot of money in return.
Wouldn't a reasonable middle-ground be that no medical information is released, but the simple "status" (will play, won't play) is announced on Friday afternoon?

Such a status could well be "game time decision", but in some cases it is known that there is no chance of that and the player won't have any chance of being on the field.

It might literally be illegal to without the players permission

why? in what way is it beneficial for the public to know that?

But now there is gambling on college games where inside info can easily be bought.
What harm is there in being honest about injuries vs the risk of corruption?
Because PJ plays that game does not make it right.

HIPAA places exactly 0 restrictions on football coaches.

edit: fixed the acronym, whoops

Last edited:

HIPPA places exactly 0 restrictions on football coaches.
No one said anything about Hippa

Public school students are entitled to a right to privacy

They can’t release medical information for the same reason they can’t release his grades

Why should teams disclose injuries?

But now there is gambling on college games where inside info can easily be bought.
Yep and it could always be bought in the NBA (coaches randomly rest players), the NFL (you don't know injury details until Saturday and can make bets all week), and every other sport.

Putting out some shallow injury report for the sake of gamblers to create the mirage of equal access to information should not be in the NCAA's priorities.

We get it your a Badger fan, so you've somehow found a way to make PJ the bad for not disclosing the medical information about college kids because it hurts gamblers. You're stock full of horrific takes.

D1 College Football is a big business. The B1G is signing new media deals that will provide every team in the conference close to $100-million a year. there are college coaches who make more money than NFL coaches.

but when it comes to letting fans, the media (and yes, bettors) know whether a starting QB or a star RB is going to play in the game, then it becomes "oh, we can't invade the privacy of these college students."

the same college students that are now free to accept NIL deals and make money while playing college football.

B1G teams IMHO should be required to release a depth chart and provide some type of update on injuries. as noted above, a simple "likely" or "unlikely" to play could suffice without giving any privileged medical information.

No one said anything about Hippa

Public school students are entitled to a right to privacy

They can’t release medical information for the same reason they can’t release his grades
They shouldn't release medical info IMO, regardless of policy/law. When John Robinson was HC at UNLV they had a player named Dominick Dorsey. He was out for a game or two and a reporter asked what was up. Robinson says, "He's got depression." Couldn't believe he said that. Dorsey's response was, "I am not suffering from depression!" Dorsey eventually had a pretty nice career in the CFL. Robinson was susceptible to some other real boneheaded moves late in his career. He blew a QB's entire red shirt season by having him sub for a couple of meaningless plays in the 2nd to last game of a lost season. The QB was Shane Steichen who I see is now the Eagles OC. I did hear that Robinson helped Steichen get his first job with the Chargers......I digress.

D1 College Football is a big business. The B1G is signing new media deals that will provide every team in the conference close to $100-million a year. there are college coaches who make more money than NFL coaches.

but when it comes to letting fans, the media (and yes, bettors) know whether a starting QB or a star RB is going to play in the game, then it becomes "oh, we can't invade the privacy of these college students."

the same college students that are now free to accept NIL deals and make money while playing college football.

B1G teams IMHO should be required to release a depth chart and provide some type of update on injuries. as noted above, a simple "likely" or "unlikely" to play could suffice without giving any privileged medical information.

Maybe the players can decide to sell their health “status” to a willing buyer. Of course, they could and should make it all up which would be all the more delicious and keeping with the spirit of the game. Caveat emptor. Million to one shot, doc! Million to one.

Personally I like the gamesmanship factor of not knowing, and inability to preemptively game plan for player XYZ. It adds to the anticipation and in-game stress on the coaches and players. Each his own.

For fairness reasons, I’d like to have decent officiating.

Don’t try and make this a Fleck issue when everyone does it. Or are you going to pretend we knew exactly who was going to start at QB for Purdue and Illinois?

There is always going to be a massive difference between the NFL and the NCAA when it comes to this. The difference is that the number of players an NFL team is allowed to keep "active" for a game is pretty small (53) compared to the travel size of an NCAA team (70). So the only time we ever REALLY find out is when players are declared inactive for a game. They only really do this because having a full roster going into a game is more important to the team than the "game" of the ongoing depth chart mystery.

Betters were able to bet all week on the Colts with Taylor being 50/50 (probably better than that because he practiced two days). He wasn't declared inactive until Saturday. So the media, the betters, and the fans didn't know until about 24 hours before kickoff. This is how it's almost always done in the NFL. The injury status of players is clear as mud.

I don't really see who it hurts. The media gets to talk about uncertainty all week (it's good for them), the betters should know to factor that in (the oddsmakers sure do), and I don't see how it impacts the fans at all.

We do have a little more clarity when it comes to away games in the NCAA because of the 70 person cap on the travel squad. So we could certainly cut that number to 60 or 55. But then we'd probably need to cap the home teams too (unlimited vs. 55 would be a drastic advantage). That would give us more clarity for 24 hours. . . like the NFL. I'd rather just keep the rosters large so we can watch FR and backups play in blowouts. I'd also like to allow those guys to travel with the team as soon as possible.

Yeah the NFL tradeoff for tons of money seems legit.

College it is much more variable, I would find it hard to justify requiring disclosure of some college kid's health status ... for who? People who want to gamble?

Top Bottom