Trey Lance: 'I would've thought that I was going to play quarterback at the University of Minnesota'

Morgan was statistically better than Lance in every way except for INTs (Lance got the flukey 0) in 2019 and wasn't playing on a juggernaut D2 squad.

Seems it worked out better for Lance and the Gophers that he went elsewhere. Wish him luck in the NFL.

Crap I thought I was going to play linebacker for the University. Didn't offer me so went elsewhere. My weight was clearly good enough to play for them.

I don't think really anyone is bitching, but in hindsight was an obvious miss by PJ, but it'll happen

NDSU will get guys that MN missed, but if our focus is outrecruiting NDSU, we'll be a terrible B1G team

I know many NDSU fans, including @Herd feel if NDSU joined the B1GW they'd be immediate challengers to Wisconsin right off the bat, it's a why NDSU still comes up here. Most of us know NDSU fans that think they'd waltz right into B1G and dominate
Nebraska thought that as well.

Wentz is and will be a failure simply based on character and ability. Same for most NDSU players. In for themselves, their future, and nothing more. You can hold such types together for maybe 4 years, but after that real life kicks in.

The real world is nowhere near North Dakota. Growing up is tough for perpetual juveniles.

“I’m Number One and therefore your leader” don’t play in the real world.
Morgan was statistically better than Lance in every way except for INTs (Lance got the flukey 0) in 2019 and wasn't playing on a juggernaut D2 squad.

Seems it worked out better for Lance and the Gophers that he went elsewhere. Wish him luck in the NFL.
What tool does Morgan have that’s better than Lances tools? None. Morgan made a lot of hay vs the bottom of the B1G with that 2019 schedule. Good thrower, but not next level.

What tool does Morgan have that’s better than Lances tools? None. Morgan made a lot of hay vs the bottom of the B1G with that 2019 schedule. Good thrower, but not next level.
Leidner > Morgan?

I’ll bet Morgan is more accurate than Lance. And he did it against D1 competition.

Whatever tools allowed him to throw for more yards, more TDs, higher Y/A, against D1 competition than Lance could muster on the D2 globetrotters.

Morgan is a trained QB, you need some luck to start in P5, he has followed Fleck and it has paid off. Physically Morgan is out matched by most Valley Qb's. The Valley league is a league of running QB's, they want runners traditionally. Minnesota has not experienced many trained QB's. Lance is an athlete, he is not a trained QB. The big question will be how he is able to handle a real defense, that does not magically occur.

Wow, it's almost like different coaches have different systems, and those different systems have different requirements for the QB position.

FWIW, my personal opinion - Morgan is more accurate than Lance on the short and intermediate throws. But Lance is a much better athlete and a superior runner.

If they switched places, Lance could run the MN offense. But I'm not sure Morgan could run the NDSU offense, which relies much more heavily on designed QB runs.

that does NOT mean that Lance is "better" than Morgan. It simply means Lance is a better fit for what NDSU wants from the QB position.

the bottom B1G schedule is tougher than any schedule NDSU has ever had

lance was far superior runner

I like lance, good Qb.

I would worry at NFL level, but if I were vikings I'd take a chance, but he seems very boom/bust type

Pro football is a throwing league, there are a million athletes, I can find better athletes in Minnesota HS. You need to be a sharp shooter with brains and be physical enough to take the beating from some big boys. Lance is pretty lucky to be considered in the first round with minimal experience and minimal QB training playing against teams that did not have 1/2 the talent of NDSU.

Pro football is a throwing league, there are a million athletes, I can find better athletes in Minnesota HS. You need to be a sharp shooter with brains and be physical enough to take the beating from some big boys. Lance is pretty lucky to be considered in the first round with minimal experience and minimal QB training playing against teams that did not have 1/2 the talent of NDSU.
You don’t get considered a 1st RD QB prospect by being lucky, and certainly not from a DI FCS school. His QB coaching is some of the best in college FB. He was at NDSU 2 years, the first as a RS sitting out under Easton Stick, spending the very waking moment learning under Stick (49-2) and Hedberg. He passes the eye test in the first glance, has ++ arm and legs. His comparison isn’t to DI FCS teams, it’s to Trevor Lawrence, Fields, Wilson and the top QBs. Better athletes in MN HS?? He’s 6’4 230. You’re high Tommy! If he would have showed up on any college campus, including MN, he would have taken the keys quickly, assuming he would have had competent QB coaching.

Last edited:

When you go back and watch Lances high school highlights, you just go wow, how’s he not getting recruited as a qb, made it look so easy.

I hope NDSU had the courtesy to send PJ a fruit basket for letting that one slip through.

There’s probably dozens of players every year that are getting drafted that would have been happy to have come here if we had offer. Doubtful he beats out Morgan and ZA for the starting job two years ago, so he probably wouldn’t have started this past year or this coming year either. Morgan is the leader of this team, he’s made clutch plays to win close games, something Lance hasn’t been in position to do. Even if Lance is more gifted it’s so hard to bench a player like Morgan. Lance did great for himself by going to NDSU, had he come here he likely wouldn’t have seen the field yet. Of course it’s be nice to have him as a senior, if he would’ve stuck around that long.

He’s extremely risky. He’s played one season at the FCS level on an extremely good team that almost always played with the lead. He only threw more than 23 passes in a game once and over 200 yards four times. Doesn’t mean he can’t be good or even great in the NFL. There just isn’t much to go on.

When you go back and watch Lances high school highlights, you just go wow, how’s he not getting recruited as a qb, made it look so easy.

I hope NDSU had the courtesy to send PJ a fruit basket for letting that one slip through.
Go away. NDSU got lucky, just be happy about and go hang out with your FCS buddies.

Your whole roster has to slip through, not enough fruit baskets to go around.

Wentz is and will be a failure simply based on character and ability. Same for most NDSU players. In for themselves, their future, and nothing more. You can hold such types together for maybe 4 years, but after that real life kicks in.

The real world is nowhere near North Dakota. Growing up is tough for perpetual juveniles.

Sick burn!

Mark Craig at the Strib has a profile on Lance.
From the story:

The Gophers wanted him as a quarterback when Tracy Claeys was the head coach. But Claeys was fired and replaced by P.J. Fleck, who saw Lance as a safety or outside linebacker.

"We met with [Fleck] and he said, 'Trey, I'm going to recruit the heck out of you, but I brought a quarterback with me and I promised him and his family that I would not take another quarterback in his class,'" Angie said.

That quarterback, Brennan Armstrong, ended up decommitting and going to Virginia at the last moment.

"I respect Coach Fleck for being extremely honest with us," Angie said. "I remember Trey shook his hand and said, 'Thank you for being honest, but I'm a quarterback.' So, yeah, it stung. For about 30 minutes."

From the story:

The Gophers wanted him as a quarterback when Tracy Claeys was the head coach. But Claeys was fired and replaced by P.J. Fleck, who saw Lance as a safety or outside linebacker.

"We met with [Fleck] and he said, 'Trey, I'm going to recruit the heck out of you, but I brought a quarterback with me and I promised him and his family that I would not take another quarterback in his class,'" Angie said.

That quarterback, Brennan Armstrong, ended up decommitting and going to Virginia at the last moment.

"I respect Coach Fleck for being extremely honest with us," Angie said. "I remember Trey shook his hand and said, 'Thank you for being honest, but I'm a quarterback.' So, yeah, it stung. For about 30 minutes."
It is what it is. You can disagree with Fleck's approach, but he believed he had his QB and went with that, was upfront about it.

It ended up not working out in this case for either one of them (Lance didn't get to play for the U, Fleck didn't get his guy) but both did just fine with the QB position in their respective situations.

From the story:

Nice to see this. Just shows there's sometimes more to the story than a team "missing" on a recruit.

Brennan Armstrong had a pretty nice year last year too, his first as the full time starter.

Have to say it...

If being a Gopher was that important he could probably have ended up as a walk-on...and maybe a preferred walk-on. Maybe...would'a...could'a...

Lot of oxygen being used up for something that was going on as the old regime was going out and the new coming in. I know the kid looked good then and even better now...but at least he did not end up somewhere else in the B1G lighting us up, especially in 2020.

Fleck was left with a shtpile for qb and the past qbs at mn were sht. PJ couldn’t take a flyer. PJ knew the qb kids had to be first rate - Kill and co. Brought us the worst at that position but their regime paid the price for the bungle.

This is the most ridiculous take I've ever read on this board. You have NO clue about Wentz's "character" nor that of "most NDSU players."
North Dakota has nothing to do with "the real world?!" Good gosh, I can't comprehend the absurdity of what you wrote.

From the story:

Yeah, would have been a perfect QB for Claeys offense. What might have been...

Top Bottom