Trevor Mbakwe has accepted the position of Activities Coordinator at Eden Prairie High School

congrats to him

really shows the shortage of administrators in the state that a guy with almost no experience can land two different AD jobs in less than 12 months.

congrats to him

really shows the shortage of administrators in the state that a guy with almost no experience can land two different AD jobs in less than 12 months.
These jobs get more thankless by the day. Increasing demands and a less understanding constituency many of whom think you’re a power monger. Same issues as referees. Someone needs to do it but people are making it harder and harder.

These jobs get more thankless by the day. Increasing demands and a less understanding constituency many of whom think you’re a power monger. Same issues as referees. Someone needs to do it but people are making it harder and harder.
In addition to dealing with parents.

What is "Activities Coordinator?" Is this the AD? Or something else?

Well, it's this country's own fault for having this weird romanticism towards school teams in sports.

Schools don't have to have teams ... the world would survive. In fact, most of the rest of the world does not do that. Sports are clubs. Which we have that too.

Agree with everything you just said

What is "Activities Coordinator?" Is this the AD? Or something else?
Often times it also includes more than sports. “Activities”

sometimes that includes fine arts like speech and debate, clubs, intramural, etc

different districts do it differently.
Some districts ADs are assistant principals who are in charge of departments and oversee some curriculum. Other times it is basically a glorified secretary (usually at smaller schools). I don’t know specifics about either place, but Eden prairie is a really good job.

Good for him. He was an assistant with BSM...right? I wonder if this is a step towards a career in coaching or other.

Good for him. He was an assistant with BSM...right? I wonder if this is a step towards a career in coaching or other.
He was an assistant for BSM for about a minute before taking Irondale AD job. He never coached a game for BSM.

No idea on what happened before that. I’ve only really followed Mbakwe’s career post Damian Johnson getting hired by BSM because I follow DJ on Twitter

Last edited:

congrats to him

He is an AD. He is activities coordinator. They have multiple at EP.

Often times it also includes more than sports. “Activities”

sometimes that includes fine arts like speech and debate, clubs, intramural, etc

different districts do it differently.
Some districts ADs are assistant principals who are in charge of departments and oversee some curriculum. Other times it is basically a glorified secretary (usually at smaller schools). I don’t know specifics about either place, but Eden prairie is a really good job.
Not a lot of money but a cool opportunity.

Not a lot of money but a cool opportunity.
I'd guess it is the same as the teaching scale at EP. In a lot of school districts, teachers move into that position from the classroom, especially if they have been a coach.

It’s an at will position. Pays a little more than teaching.

He was an assistant for BSM for about a minute before taking Irondale AD job. He never coached a game for BSM.

No idea on what happened before that. I’ve only really followed Mbakwe’s career post Damian Johnson getting hired by BSM because I follow DJ on Twitter
He is an assistant AD not the AD

The head of the Activities Department at Eden Prairie would be Russ Reetz who previously served in that role at Prior Lake and has also recently been a member of the MSHSL Board of Directors. Not exactly sure what Trevor’s role would entirely entail but his position would be an assistant position to the district level administrator. Congratulations to Trevor on the new job!

The head of the Activities Department at Eden Prairie would be Russ Reetz who previously served in that role at Prior Lake and has also recently been a member of the MSHSL Board of Directors. Not exactly sure what Trevor’s role would entirely entail but his position would be an assistant position to the district level administrator. Congratulations to Trevor on the new job!
Makes more sense to me. Strike what I said from the record....I misinterpreted his new job

Top Bottom