Traveling to Lincoln

tihaberman

Reaction score
Im sure several of you have been to away Gopher football games before. I will be traveling for a game for the first time this fall. Me and 3 buddies are making the trek down to Lincoln for the Gopher Husker game. Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share some tips/advice on where to stay, things to do, pre game gatherings things of that nature. We are all in our upper 20's and love our Gophers. We are looking to be within walking distance of the stadium and the bar/nightlife area. Also, when can I expect to get the tickets I ordered through the Gophers for the game? Any help is appreciated. GO GOPHERS!

First if you are wanting to stay within walking distance there are 4 or 5 places north of O Street. You could expand your walk and find others. And walking is your best choice. The Stadium is about 6 blocks from O. Once you decide where you want to stay, try and book it as soon as possible. Tickets from Minnesota will be easier to get than finding that place to stay. Are you planning on arriving on Friday? And plan an post game session before you take off. The traffic heading out of Lincoln after the game is bumper to bumper. Visiting teams used to stay near the Airport about 10 miles away from the stadium. I have not heard where the Gophers will stay. But maybe there is some information out there. Now if you cannot find a hotel near the stadium, you might have to go to plan B. There are shuttles running from all over Lincoln running to the Stadium on Game Day. That would put you further from the campus, but could make your escape easier. The thing I am trying to convey is expect at least 50,000 fans from Omaha on I 80. Coming and going. They will block all the north south entrances I-80, 27th Street, 48th, and even 70th on Saturday Morning. So if you are lucky enough to stay inside the walking distance great. There is one additional huge hotel about 12 blocks from the stadium The Cornhusker. It has been remodeled and I think is a Marriott.

Tihaberman - you're in for a treat. For me the Cornhusker fans moved to the top of the big 10 slightly ahead of Penn State 1a. They are very friendly and complete strangers bought us beers at a steak house on Friday night (this was cool). I'm sorry I can't give you specifics but there are some fun bars a short walk from the stadium.

There is no shortage of nightlife downtown around O Street, ranging from frat boy hangouts to dive bars and some places with pretty cool atmosphere in between. Lots of terrific food options in the Haymarket area, especially if you are looking for a good steak.

As for places to stay, booking last December would've been the way to go. Football weekends in Lincoln are crazy. But it looks like Town House Extended Stay still has rooms - we stayed there last time and it's an easy walk, two blocks south of O Street.

You can expect your tickets to arrive in the mail from the Gophers ticket office about 2 weeks before the game. Visiting fans at Memorial Stadium are split up between the upper reaches of both end zones, with a small group in the lower level of the southwest end zone. We had 8 tickets last time, and 4 were in each end zone.

If you want to take in the atmosphere the Cornhusker Marching Band practices in the stadium 5 hours before kickoff. They reassemble at Kimball recital hall about 3 blocks south of Memorial Stadium. They dress, get last minute instructions and come outside for a pre game one and half hours before kickoff. They then hold their March on To The Stadium. They follow walk ways to the stadium and are marching 4 abreast. They used to encourage people to follow them.

If you are looking for a great steak, try Misty's in Havelock. Its away from the campus about 10 miles northeast. They also have a Misty's in the Haymarket, but I have never eaten there.

Husker 70 is right: traffic on I-80 from Omaha is a nightmare - get a very early start or arrive Friday night. The Haymarket area is an old town area very near campus - lots of bars and restaurants. Lincoln has a cool downtown, mixing college town atmosphere with modern small city. Total college football atmosphere with 90,000 + at games. A good weekend visit, even when there is not football.

Thank you all for the replys, I appreciate it! I can attest to the Husker fans being very sportsman like. They have been very nice at pre game establishments and at the games up here in Minneapolis. I was curious to see if they were the same way at home. We are planning on heading down Friday and getting a room Friday night and most likely Saturday night too. Not really feeling driving all the way home after the game if it for some reason is a late afternoon/night game. Plus, it'd be nice to a little post game celebrating after a Gopher win down there too ;) My buddies and I are very much looking forward to the trip and cant wait for the season to get started next Thursday! See ya'll at the bank! SKI U MAH

Top Bottom