Transfer season 2024

What would you grade Ben for 23?/What do we need for 24?

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
We are almost to Transfer Season in Basketball!

Time to assess Ben’s 2023 class and what we think he needs for the 2024 class!

2023 Grade: A

Solid work by Ben and the staff bringing in Hawkins and Mitchell. Hawkins is going in the record books and Mitchell has been a solid starter all year. They both should be coming back with no more free transfer ability! A really solid performance at a position of critical need.

2024: What do we need?

This will depend on what we lose and is kind of hard to determine at the moment. So, for the sake of discussion let’s say all the starters return with Fox, Carrington and the freshmen Asuma and Grove.

Need depth in the front court: Would be ideal to get a big man who has a couple of years of eligibility to backup Garcia and Payne. My ideal candidate would be Owen Freeman from Iowa. But someone like him who can finish.

If either Payne or Garcia move on, this becomes a circle the wagons priority!

Still need a SF: We still could use a no-shit SF who can run the floor, slash to the basket and be a 3pt threat. Defensive ability is a must! Would love to be able to start Christie at SG and have someone who can guard the wing effectively. A Rodney Williams type, not that they grow on trees.

If, Christie chooses to go this becomes the number 1 priority.

Overall: Next year we should be deep at guard. I don’t see that changing. So those two listed priorities are what we need.

Please list candidates as the portal starts to fill the next couple weeks.

Kind of depends on who is going and who is staying. Without movement the roster is set.

Solid work by Ben and the staff bringing in Hawkins and Mitchell. Hawkins is going in the record books and Mitchell has been a solid starter all year. They both should be coming back with no more free transfer ability! A really solid performance at a position of critical need.

This will depend on what we lose and is kind of hard to determine at the moment. So, for the sake of discussion let’s say all the starters return with Fox, Carrington and the freshmen Asuma and Grove.

Need depth in the front court: Would be ideal to get a big man who has a couple of years of eligibility to backup Garcia and Payne. My ideal candidate would be Owen Freeman from Iowa. But someone like him who can finish.

Still need a SF: We still could use a no-shit SF who can run the floor, slash to the basket and be a 3pt threat. Defensive ability is a must! Would love to be able to start Christie at SG and have someone who can guard the wing effectively. A Rodney Williams type, not that they grow on trees.

Overall: Next year we should be deep at guard. I don’t see that changing. So those two listed priorities are what we need.

Why are people saying "if Christie decides to go". There is no indication he will do so. He is on a good team in a top conference and has a significant role featuring his talents. Going somewhere else provides no guarantees about playing time, fit, etc. Also, NIL is not going to be an issue - people need to relax on that.

I think you forgot to list All-American caliber Point, guard, wing, 4 and post players who are capable of taking over any game at any time, but 100% believe in team-first style of play, who also absolutely crave the college life and wish they never had to leave, loves Minnesota winters and hates every other Power 5 team in the country with a passion and would never consider playing there, plus stands out because of their consistently good grades and how amazingly coachable they are.

good transfers cost money. Does MN have the money to bring in quality players?

it's sad but true - with the recent court decisions, the NCAA is heading into near-anarchy where players can jump from school to school in search of the biggest payday.

yes, some players may value loyalty or relationships over money. but if a player is coming from a not-so-wealthy family background, and School X comes along and waves hundreds of thousands of dollars at them, that could be hard to turn down.

If you want to see MN add quality transfers, you'd better be donating to Dinkytown Athetes. (Yes, I have).

How many more shopping days before Christmas 🎄🥴?

There are two likely GOPHER transfer sources: Minnesota players who went away and want to transfer back for whatever reason, like Fox; and successful mid major players like Hawkins and Mitchell who want a bigger stage to prove their worth. I doubt that NIL is a main factor for these types of transfers.

good transfers cost money. Does MN have the money to bring in quality players?

it's sad but true - with the recent court decisions, the NCAA is heading into near-anarchy where players can jump from school to school in search of the biggest payday.

yes, some players may value loyalty or relationships over money. but if a player is coming from a not-so-wealthy family background, and School X comes along and waves hundreds of thousands of dollars at them, that could be hard to turn down.

If you want to see MN add quality transfers, you'd better be donating to Dinkytown Athetes. (Yes, I have).
I mean we must be doing something right in that we have brought in some pretty good transfers over the past few season. Battle, Garcia, Cooper, Fox, Hawkins, Mitchell, some of the one year guys from year one. Johnson has done a pretty solid job finding transfers that can compete. We won't be able to go after the big money guys but you can still find quality players without being a top player on the NIL/Pay for Play front.

I like Mitchell, but ideally next season he’s coming off the bench as instant offense.
Absolutely - If we can find a guy to come in as a Grad Transfer to fill that 5th spot, we would be in great shape. This type of guy is definitely available and gettable in the portal.

Assuming all the others stay.

*I actually wouldn't mind if they moved Carrington in the starting 5 now and slid Mitchell into that bench offense role.

Willis +
Stephens +
Loewe +
Sutherlin +
1st year Battle +
Garcia +
Cooper+
Hawkins +
Mitchell +
Charlie, Danny and Jack -
(Think that is all of them.)

Ben seems to do ok. Guess I would grade him a C overall.
Can see him scoring a couple more decent transfers.

Last edited:

Why are people saying "if Christie decides to go". There is no indication he will do so. He is on a good team in a top conference and has a significant role featuring his talents. Going somewhere else provides no guarantees about playing time, fit, etc. Also, NIL is not going to be an issue - people need to relax on that.

Ummm because of the landscape of the game these days. Any good player from lower teams will be speculated as possible depatures.

No one knows forsure.

And you are nuts if you think he will get his best NIL deal here. Or that he may not want a starting role somewhere like Uconn or Arizona instead.

Ummm because of the landscape of the game these days. Any good player from lower teams will be speculated as possible depatures.

No one knows forsure.

And you are nuts if you think he will get his best NIL deal here. Or that he may not want a starting role somewhere like Uconn or Arizona instead.
It makes projecting really difficult, so I just assume all the people getting regular minutes will be back. It's not that it's because I would be shocked if someone left, I just have no idea.

Next year's Gopher team is a prime example.

If Garcia leaves, we need to add some frontcourt help ASAP.
If Christie leaves, we need to add more guards ASAP.

All of that said, in college basketball, the answer is almost always "more guards". Even if everyone returns and with Asuma returning, I'd add 1-2 more guards.

No one knows forsure.

Then why did Christie go to a "lower" school in the first place?

He wasn't exactly under the radar.

You may be right and he may leave, but I expect him to stay.

Correct and none of this info is a state secret.

He has significantly better offers out of HS, including -

Sparty
Iowa
Iowa State
Illinois
Virginia
OSU
USC

He was the 84th player and 13 SG in his class with a pro brother.
The landscape is exactly the same as it was when he enrolled this year; Evans left for money and Cam didn’t = Fact.
No one knows forsure.
So reckless speculation based on nothing.
👏
And you are nuts if you think he will get his best NIL deal here.
Most of the smart people I’ve met in my life, make life decisions, solely based on monetary concerns. Besides this is simply speculation, no data to support said suppostion.
Or that he may not want a starting role somewhere like Uconn or Arizona instead.

Huh?

Im not even saying he will leave. Im saying its insane to be confused why people are saying he might leave.

Why would he change his mind now? uhhh because hes proven himself and now blue bloods may pay to play? Maybe a blue blood now has wide open playing time? Maybe he gets NBA draft feed back that says you should play for this type of team or this coach....or play somewhere with a good non con show case? Maybe hes secretly pissed off???

With no sit out rules there are about 20 legitimate reasons a rising player may transfer even if he originally committed to the school hes leaving. Kinda find it weird I even needed to say this.

Which is all I said, I have no damn clue what hes gonna do. Spoiler alert, neither do you or tucker. Making his shock at people saying "if", dumbfounding.

Correct and none of this info is a state secret.

He has significantly better offers out of HS, including -

Sparty
Iowa
Iowa State
Illinois
Virginia
OSU
USC

He was the 84th player and 13 SG in his class with a pro brother.

The landscape is exactly the same as it was when he enrolled this year; Evans left for money and Cam didn’t = Fact.

So reckless speculation based on nothing.
👏

Most of the smart people I’ve met in my life, make life decisions, solely based on monetary concerns. Besides this is simply speculation, no data to support said suppostion.
Yeah read my post above. Probably should posted sooner so I could have saved you nonsense

Top Bottom