Transfer Portal - Potential Targets

What is the story with OL portal transfer Karter Shaw?
Guessing he will compete for starting center spot with Boe? I assume one of those two will be the heir apparent to JMS, unless something lands in our lap from the portal.

You'd think it really would be quite difficult to find anyone who's a slam dunk in the portal, ever. After all, if you are that ... then why are you leaving?

The best "gambles" in a sense then are guys who are looking to "move up" from the lower levels. Think they were overlooked by the big programs as high schoolers, and think they've played well enough in FCS to move up to the big time.
Disagree, Really easy to get lost on a depth chart at Alabama, Michigan, Georgia ETC

According to Gophersports bio, he has one more year after this season. I assume if he sticks around, he knows he has a good shot to start next year. He did play in most of our games this year.
Both he and Boe have 2023 left. Both redshirted in 2018 and have played/participated 2019-2022, with 2020 covid year.

I assume they will battle in spring. It's possible one could transfer out, but hopefully they both stay for their last year. You never know when your number could be called, could easily need both (at center). But will support their decision either way.

According to Gophersports bio, he has one more year after this season. I assume if he sticks around, he knows he has a good shot to start next year. He did play in most of our games this year.
I think he was on the FG team. I don't think he got a ton of run in our offense.

We do have two guard spots available right now though, so we'll see. I think Boe will be C.

Guard I think. I believe Boe is coming back and would be the early favorite to win the starting center job, just a guess though.
If you discount the two true freshmen this fall, we only have four guys who are more likely interior linemen:

Boe
Shaw (transfer from Utah State)
Tyler Cooper
Jackson Ruschmeyer (the younger)

None of these guys has seen a ton of playing time. I'm making a somewhat arbitrary distinction where if you're 6'6" and above, you're a tackle, and under that an interior. Of course, that is not at all a hard and fast rule.

If you discount the two true freshmen this fall, we only have four guys who are more likely interior linemen:

Boe
Tyler Cooper

None of these guys has seen a ton of playing time. I'm making a somewhat arbitrary distinction where if you're 6'6" and above, you're a tackle, and under that an interior. Of course, that is not at all a hard and fast rule.
I think Carroll can play inside or outside.

Exactly. The team wins all the time. They have an engaged fan base. They contend for championships every season. They're the biggest fish in a small pond.

And honestly, except for the weather, Fargo isn't a bad city to live in. Now the other three Dakota schools are in much less pleasant towns to live in.
Weather not a huge factor as they play indoors in a dome and have a new IPF being built out that will allow climate-controlled practice/lifting/conditioning year round.

I think there is quite a sense of apathy settling into their fan base. They're not at all at the level of engagement or rabidness as they were in the mid to late 2010's.

And can you blame them? NDSU just doesn't lose. To FCS teams, that is. Extremely rare.

There is literally nothing left for that program to accomplish at that level. They've won like 8 of the last 9 national championships? Or something crazy.

And that division has been bleeding out its top programs slowly but surely to move-ups. It is already significantly depleted from where it was back when NDSU was battling Georgia Southern and then James Madison.

I think Carroll can play inside or outside.
As risk averse as Fleck is, unless a gift falls from the portal, it's hard for me to not see Ersery and Carroll already penciled in as starting tackles for 23.

I could see them think about trying some of the big boys on the inside. But it can be a rough transition. Can't just lean on smaller DE's, you really gotta bend your knees on these shorter, wider interior DL.

Every year there are at least a couple of dozen MN kids playing for NDSU... I looked at the 2022 roster and stopped counting at 25... there's a lot of 'em! A bunch of WI kids, too. There's definitely a connection to MN... unless most of those players are a lil' miffed at being passed up here.

NDSU is definitely a big fish in that small pond... but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the new fish swimming around, if allowed to grow, couldn't keep some of those players home. I think that, when their probationary period has been completed, St. Thomas is gonna get asked politely to leave the Pioneer League for football... and it'll be time to fight with NDSU in that little pond (MVFC.)
Will cost a pretty penny to do that. Doesn't mean they won't scrounge it up. Will cost corresponding women's scholarships, maybe new sports, to balance title IX. Not impossible

There have been some rumblings Jaden Walley (Justin's older brother) isn't super happy at Miss St. I think he has a ton of upside at the WR spot.

I will say with CrAB back and Dylan showing signs of life with AK I feel a little better about that group.

I actually think what we need most is a consistent pass rush expert. Feels like Mertz and Petras had too much time the last few weeks.
Not sure what is a pass rush expert?

Not sure what is a pass rush expert?
ZaDarius Smith I would say is that. A DE/rush LB who maybe isnt great against the run or in pass coverage but has a great ability to get to the QB. Maybe he is smaller/quicker than say a Rush/Striggow so he can get around the end.

Not a target for us, but thought this was an interesting name in the portal:

Let's hope we can get a punter who can flip the field and make our special team's coach's salary worth it

Isn't this Caleb McGrath kid we have committed supposed to be one of the higher-rated punting recruits in the country?

EDIT: Looks like he is in the Under Armour All-American Game this year.

Boe
Tyler Cooper

I wonder if they might take a look at Martes Lewis inside. Heard he looked pretty good when competing with Carroll in camp. He definitely has the build to play guard if the coaches see it as a fit.

Alright, I'm clearly and obviously wrong about grad transfers. The NCAA just set a new rule specifically for them: https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal...ntering-the-portal-division-1-council-window/

It does not set well with me that a student athlete can play for three different schools in a four year period, assuming they earn a bachelor's degree at the 2nd school. More likely 5 year period, but still ... I don't agree with it.

I wonder if they might take a look at Martes Lewis inside. Heard he looked pretty good when competing with Carroll in camp. He definitely has the build to play guard if the coaches see it as a fit.
I think Lewis has a real shot at winning the RT position and then Carroll flips to LG.

You'd think it really would be quite difficult to find anyone who's a slam dunk in the portal, ever. After all, if you are that ... then why are you leaving?

The best "gambles" in a sense then are guys who are looking to "move up" from the lower levels. Think they were overlooked by the big programs as high schoolers, and think they've played well enough in FCS to move up to the big time.

Completely agree. Get the kid from a non-power 5 school that is playing lights out and deserves to move up in competition. That kid will have some good experience and a chip on their shoulders

As risk averse as Fleck is, unless a gift falls from the portal, it's hard for me to not see Ersery and Carroll already penciled in as starting tackles for 23.

I could see them think about trying some of the big boys on the inside. But it can be a rough transition. Can't just lean on smaller DE's, you really gotta bend your knees on these shorter, wider interior DL.
My guess is Lewis and Ersery are the starting tackles and Carroll moves to guard. Carroll is smaller than Filiaga who played RG all year.

If the two OL that we got off the portal last year are examples of what is available, no thank you. Neither would play for most D1 programs in a normal year. I would call BOTH recruiting mistakes. They played this year because, let’s face it, we missed out on other kids so we took what was the best available. Let’s hope that is not the case this year. I want OL that are potential draft eligible, neither of them will make the big dance.

Isn't this Caleb McGrath kid we have committed supposed to be one of the higher-rated punting recruits in the country?

EDIT: Looks like he is in the Under Armour All-American Game this year.
Had no idea of this commit, thank you

If the two OL that we got off the portal last year are examples of what is available, no thank you. Neither would play for most D1 programs in a normal year. I would call BOTH recruiting mistakes. They played this year because, let’s face it, we missed out on other kids so we took what was the best available. Let’s hope that is not the case this year. I want OL that are potential draft eligible, neither of them will make the big dance.
You're wrong.

Had no idea of this commit, thank you

I believe his a PWO and obviously still a freshman, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see us take a punter in the portal at all. But obviously punter is a position where a young guy can come in and kick well right away.

Often don’t agree with you JJ but couldn’t agree more on this post. Incredibly disappointed with our “in state” ND RT this year. There’s a reason why Mo ran left a ton.

Often don’t agree with you JJ but couldn’t agree more on this post. Incredibly disappointed with our “in state” ND RT this year. There’s a reason why Mo ran left a ton.
He wasn't great but you'd have to assume he would be better than his backup.

I just want us to have the best possible OL we can have. I'd take "somewhat better" over "way better". If a guy of Carroll's caliber is the best we can do and he'd be one of our top 6 OL, I'd take it in a heart beat.

Top Bottom