Transfer kicker

awesome to see he has the leg. looks like also is pretty damn consistent based on his prior FG percentages. Would be wonderful to have a kicking game that is more solid this year

If I'm reading last year's kicking stats correctly, the Gophers were so fearful of their kickers that they attempted a grand total of six field goals, making four of them, the longest of which was 38 yards.

That's...not good.

I'm already in love with this new guy.

kicking game arguably cost us MI, MD and WI games
It could have saved / won some of those for sure.

But I'm more of the mind that kicking is just a handful of plays per game, and the rest of the team gets a ton of plays to win the game .... they should probably carry some responsibility too.

I will never forget that heading into the 2003 season our kicking situation was about as bad as it possibly could have been at the U. It was so bad that there were times Mason would end practice with a field goal competition between the two kickers on the roster (can't remember their names) and they would keep kicking until they made back to back kicks from the same distance. The two kickers were so bad it would sometimes take 20 to 30 kicks before they would finally hit consecutive field goals....I mean it was truly as bad as it could have been.

Shortly before the start of the season I remember walking through the indoor field one day and there was this kid in workout clothes just bombing field goal after field goal from around 50 yards. Found out it was Rhys Lloyd and they were just waiting on him to be declared eligible.

If Lloyd doesn't arrive, one of the coolest moments in Gopher history with his game winning kick against Wisconsin never happens.

Sorry for drifting down memory lane a little but the video of Trickett hitting those long field goals brought me back to that day 17+ years ago when I got my first look at Lloyd.

I will never forget that heading into the 2003 season our kicking situation was about as bad as it possibly could have been at the U. It was so bad that there were times Mason would end practice with a field goal competition between the two kickers on the roster (can't remember their names) and they would keep kicking until they made back to back kicks from the same distance. The two kickers were so bad it would sometimes take 20 to 30 kicks before they would finally hit consecutive field goals....I mean it was truly as bad as it could have been.

Shortly before the start of the season I remember walking through the indoor field one day and there was this kid in workout clothes just bombing field goal after field goal from around 50 yards. Found out it was Rhys Lloyd and they were just waiting on him to be declared eligible.

If Lloyd doesn't arrive, one of the coolest moments in Gopher history with his game winning kick against Wisconsin never happens.

Sorry for drifting down memory lane a little but the video of Trickett hitting those long field goals brought me back to that day 17+ years ago when I got my first look at Lloyd.

I think we had the worst QB situation when PJ joined .... and ... suddenly very much not that.

I'd say we're due for some magic!

I think we had the worst QB situation when PJ joined .... and ... suddenly very much not that.

I'd say we're due for some magic!
Hold up....are you trying to imply that it is bad when you have to convince a former walk on QB with basically no experience to come back and be your starter?

I remember this situation. The guys we had were doing the best they could. They had no idea that Lloyd was simply waiting for eligibility confirmation. One I believe was pretty upset about it. He thought he had a chance to be the number one kicker.

Is Ryerse still on the roster?

Underwhelming is the best adjective I can apply. Sure he's a good kid but did not improve in my opinion.

Kicker video is sick!

Nice to have on our team.

I hope he does great.

But kicker highlight videos are on a whole other planet when you compare them to gameday results and such.
It's not what you see on kicker videos; it's what you hear. The sound the ball meeting foot makes is consistent and the dull thud is music to my ears. 2-kicks isn't a good determining factor, but listening to this...the guy's got the tools.

It's not what you see on kicker videos; it's what you hear. The sound the ball meeting foot makes is consistent and the dull thud is music to my ears. 2-kicks isn't a good determining factor, but listening to this...the guy's got the tools.
tight spiral er ... thud

I remember this situation. The guys we had were doing the best they could. They had no idea that Lloyd was simply waiting for eligibility confirmation. One I believe was pretty upset about it. He thought he had a chance to be the number one kicker.
Nothing against the kickers in competition for the position, I am sure they were good kids. But it would have been a nightmare if we had to rely on either of them during the season.

Honestly, Lloyd's arrival changed the whole tenor of that team. It was clear that the offense and defense were going to be good but the kicking game looked like a complete mess. Suddenly this long haired kid with an English accent shows up and there was zero doubt who would be handling the kicking duties as he blew the other guys out of the water from day one.

Lloyd was crazy talented as a kicker. He could kick and punt left and right footed. He routinely drilled 57 yard field goals in practice and hit from 60+ at times as well. It was amazing to watch and especially considering where the kicking situation was before he arrived it was even more special.

Without Lloyd, the 2003 team would have been good. But there is no chance that team would have won 10 games without him handling the kicking duties.

I hope he does great.

But kicker highlight videos are on a whole other planet when you compare them to gameday results and such.
I was going to say, where have we seen this rodeo before?

It could have saved / won some of those for sure.

But I'm more of the mind that kicking is just a handful of plays per game, and the rest of the team gets a ton of plays to win the game .... they should probably carry some responsibility too.
Very underrated. Field position is a key part of winning.

I was going to say, where have we seen this rodeo before?
My comment was really more that there are a ton of really good looking kicker videos out there.... less so a comment about gopher history. But I'm sure plenty have their own really good kicker videos too.

It is hard to tell from previous successes either HS or previous college stint how a kicker will perform in their new gigs.

Losing three very close games last season due to ST miscues and injuries/illness doesn't sit well with me as with many other fans. The Gophers Coaching Staff certainly are just as concerned adding a sixth person, Matthew Trickett to their Kicking Room. The pressure is on.

I didn't realize how tall the punters are.

34Brock WalkerK5-10210Sioux Falls, S.D. / Washington
38Michael LantzK5-11185Fayetteville, Ga. / Starrs Mill High School
99Dragan KesichK6-4235Oak Creek, Wis. / Oak Creek
38Daniel SparksP6-6180Gadsden, Ala. / Gadsden CityUniversity of Louisiana-Monroe
96Mark CrawfordP6-5220Perth West, Australia /

FYI - The Gophers top punters since 2000 (does not include Chip Lohmiller and others in the modern Gophers era. Someone can refresh my memory who the other Gopher greats are):

RkPlayerFromToPuntsYdsAvg
1Justin Kucek*20052008229946141.3
2Peter Mortell*20122015203892744.0
3Preston Gruening*20002002154647142.0
4Ryan Santoso*20142017144601841.8
5Dan Orseske*20092011115428337.2
6Rhys Lloyd*2003200496380039.6
7Jacob Herbers*2015201994372139.6
8Blake Haudan*2009200962263942.6
9Christian Eldred*2012201267255538.1
10Mark Crawford202020201764237.8
11Matthew Stephenson20202020827934.9