Tracy Claeys will meet with Reid Travis this week

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this note from Doogie:

"DeLaSalle quarterback and forward Reid Travis will visit this week with Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys, who is in charge of recruiting the high school. Then, on Friday, Michigan State will have a football representative in town to see Travis. It's sounding more like Travis could accept a football tender to his choice, but he would also play basketball."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...d_Brandon_Roy_out_of_retirement_for_now112812

Go Gophers!!

"DeLaSalle quarterback and forward Reid Travis will visit this week with Gophers defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys, who is in charge of recruiting the high school. Then, on Friday, Michigan State will have a football representative in town to see Travis. It's sounding more like Travis could accept a football tender to his choice, but he would also play basketball."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...d_Brandon_Roy_out_of_retirement_for_now112812

Go Gophers!!

I wasn't aware that coaches could initiate contact with juniors until May...

Is he projected to play QB?

Yes. And its obviously extremely difficult to play football and basketball for a bcs school, but I would think quite nearly impossible as a qb. Think maybe Ronald Curry did it a bit for UNC.

Yes. And its obviously extremely difficult to play football and basketball for a bcs school, but I would think quite nearly impossible as a qb. Think maybe Ronald Curry did it a bit for UNC.

Charlie Ward and Ronald Curry did it. Antwaan Randel El did it for a bit as well. Why would it be much more difficult for a qb as opposed to other positions?

Charlie Ward and Ronald Curry did it. Antwaan Randel El did it for a bit as well. Why would it be much more difficult for a qb as opposed to other positions?

quarterbacks need to know the entire offense much better than other players.

Being a WR or a TE would be a lot easier than QB no doubt. It would be really cool if he tried to do this though, if he's got the talent I'm all for it.

I would rather have this kid playing SF in the barn, than QB at the bank...would be interesting to see if he could make both work. Rivals counts 19 scholarship offers for him for basketball.

I would rather have this kid playing SF in the barn, than QB at the bank...would be interesting to see if he could make both work. Rivals counts 19 scholarship offers for him for basketball.

I would be very surprised if Reid Travis doesn't accept a college scholarship to play basketball, rather than football. He is much more advanced as a Division I basketball forward/center, than as a D-1 quarterback. Does anyone remember this past March, when, as a sophomore, he led his team to an upset state championship win over number#1 rated Minneapolis Washburn in an overtime thriller by throwing down 20 points and grabbing 18 rebounds against the veteran Washburn team.

As to Reid playing small forward, have you seen this young man lately? He is somewhere between 6'7"-6'8" and weighs at least 230 or more; I think power forward is probably his position in college. I would love to see him playing for my beloved Gophers, but I hear that Stanford is calling, along with many other big time programs, but he could join his older brother at Harvard. Who knows?

He's a PF, 6'8" with a frame to put on more weight.

He's a PF, 6'8" with a frame to put on more weight.

If Claeys is visiting him is that an indication he may be projected to DE? Julius Peppers played both at a high level at UNC.

Gophers09 said:

Donovan McNabb?

If Claeys is visiting him is that an indication he may be projected to DE? Julius Peppers played both at a high level at UNC.

Good call, that would probably be his best fit on the defensive side of the ball.

I would much much much rather him play basketball... no doubt about it one player in college basketball can make a huge difference. 1 player in football doesnt mean squat especially with no weapons and no offensive line around you.

It's not that long ago, but it's pretty much an entirely different era in some respects. Most effective FBS programs have rigorous off-season training programs that pretty much preclude anything other than football and school (leaving just enough time for weekend hi-jinks). I can only conjecture, but most big-time coaches are such control freaks and they envision their systems as being so complex that the quarterback has to be the "coach on the field." It's not that it's more difficult for a quarterback to play another sport as the coaching staff's fervent desire that they don't.

I still think it's entirely possible for players to play more than 1 sport. Bryant Allen did it a couple years ago and there are examples throughout all of the NCAA.

The problem is this:

Reid Travis is a much better basketball player (from what I hear). I could be wrong, but I do not think a player on a basketball scholarship can walk on to the football team, because the football team generates more revenue. It is a rule put in so that we didn't offer Phil Nelson a rowing scholarship and have him walk on to the football team. I could be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure this is the case. If Reid Travis gets a football scholarship, he wouldn't be available for the basketball team until January and he'd still have to get up to speed. That's a big risk for a guy when basketball is his best sport.

It's a tough situation, because to my understanding, he can only play both if he gets a football scholarship and if he gets a football scholarship, that will have to be his priority which is dangerous because he is considered a better basketball player.

I still think it's entirely possible for players to play more than 1 sport. Bryant Allen did it a couple years ago and there are examples throughout all of the NCAA.

The problem is this:

Reid Travis is a much better basketball player (from what I hear). I could be wrong, but I do not think a player on a basketball scholarship can walk on to the football team, because the football team generates more revenue. It is a rule put in so that we didn't offer Phil Nelson a rowing scholarship and have him walk on to the football team. I could be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure this is the case. If Reid Travis gets a football scholarship, he wouldn't be available for the basketball team until January and he'd still have to get up to speed. That's a big risk for a guy when basketball is his best sport.

It's a tough situation, because to my understanding, he can only play both if he gets a football scholarship and if he gets a football scholarship, that will have to be his priority which is dangerous because he is considered a better basketball player.

This is correct. Any multi-sport athlete on scholarship has to be counted against the highest-revenue sport in which he is participating. For a football/basketball player, he would have to be counted against football. If it were something like basketball/baseball, he would have to be counted against basketball.

dpodoll68 said:
This is correct. Any multi-sport athlete on scholarship has to be counted against the highest-revenue sport in which he is participating. For a football/basketball player, he would have to be counted against football. If it were something like basketball/baseball, he would have to be counted against basketball.

Is it school dependant? What if he went to Kansas some other basketball powerhouse with a crappy football team, where basketball makes more money? Would it be reversed?

It's not that long ago, but it's pretty much an entirely different era in some respects. Most effective FBS programs have rigorous off-season training programs that pretty much preclude anything other than football and school (leaving just enough time for weekend hi-jinks). I can only conjecture, but most big-time coaches are such control freaks and they envision their systems as being so complex that the quarterback has to be the "coach on the field." It's not that it's more difficult for a quarterback to play another sport as the coaching staff's fervent desire that they don't.

Eric Decker played both football and baseball at the U. That tends to show that a properly focused individual can do it. I marvel that Ken Yackel played football, hockey, and baseball at the U in the mid-fifties. Different times back then.

Is it school dependant? What if he went to Kansas some other basketball powerhouse with a crappy football team, where basketball makes more money? Would it be reversed?

Good question, but I think it's averaged out, i.e., what is the typical higher-revenue sport at the typical school? Aside from that - I could be wrong on this, but I think football makes more money anyway even at schools like Kansas, UNC, Duke, UCLA, etc., just because of TV contracts and the size of football stadiums vs. basketball arenas.

I'm not sure....I don't think it is.

Go Gophers!!

Stay home young man!

Yes, I hope he stays here as well. I watched him play very well against some big Washburn seniors last year in that state basketball championship. He has great hands and good footwork. He might grow another inch or two still.

If he is already 6'8" there is no point to playing football. At that size or likely greater the only place for him would likely be OT.

I actually wouldn't assume that Kansas basketball makes more money than Kansas football. Even at Kentucky, the football team is more profitable than the basketball team. I'd assume it's the same at Kansas.

That's why basketball is a total afterthought in conference realignment.

If he is already 6'8" there is no point to playing football. At that size or likely greater the only place for him would likely be OT.

Ed Jones
Dan McGwire
Calais Campbell...

...among others, all say HAI.

I'd tell you to think before posting, but you haven't shown any evidence that you're capable of thinking.

Add also:

Harold Carmichael
Leonard Pope
Morris Stroud
Richard Sligh

Just a brilliant post all-around.

Ed Jones
Dan McGwire
Calais Campbell...

...among others, all say HAI.

I'd tell you to think before posting, but you haven't shown any evidence that you're capable of thinking.

If he is already 6'8" then he is likely going to be 6'10" or taller....who knows.

Most guys that tall don't play football. If he does, does he want to be a DE? No idea. But that is about the only position he could play and hope to keep playing at the next level. The NFL doesn't like QBs that tall.

I wouldn't expect you to be capable of having a non-insulting conversation.

If he is already 6'8" then he is likely going to be 6'10" or taller....who knows.

Some people are done growing at 14. Some keep growing until they're 25. Who knows is exactly right. So why bring it up?

Most guys that tall don't play football.

Most guys, period, don't play football. So yes, it stands to reason that most 6'8" guys don't play football. Your logic is unassailable.

But that is about the only position he could play and hope to keep playing at the next level.

No. You are wrong. That was the entire point of my response. If he's good enough, there's no physical reason he can't play any position in the NFL except DB or RB. Ted Hendricks was 6'7", played LB (yes, LB) at 6'7" for 15 years in the NFL, made the Hall of Fame, and was named the #82 NFL player OF ALL TIME by the NFL Network as a 6'7" LB. According to you, he shouldn't have even been playing in the NFL at all. Unless, of course, he was an offensive lineman.

The NFL doesn't like QBs that tall.

You serious, Clark? First off, the NFL likes tall QBs. You have to be a superb player to make a roster and stick unless you're 6'3" or taller. Second, as you've already correctly illustrated, very few people at that height play QB, meaning there is a small talent pool to draw from. That doesn't mean that it can't be done. See: Dan McGwire, Brock Osweiler, et al. Are you secretly Justin Conzemius?

I wouldn't expect you to be capable of having a non-insulting conversation.

I am quite capable of doing so with people who have given anything of value. I haven't seen anything from you yet other than incessant negativity and nonsense. If you can't take it, don't dish it out so much.

Top Bottom