Tracy Claeys - What’s he doing now?

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Apparently he is done with coaching.

The Citizens National Bank in Clay Center is has announced the addition of Tracy Claeys as Facility CEO. Claeys was born and raised in Clay Center and moved back to the community in February 2021, after a long career coaching college football.

Apparently he is done with coaching.

Very strong defensive acumen but if this is what's floats his boat...then fantastic. RTB Coach Claeys!

I thought I read where he was an off season bartender, and that’s where he would go if he quit coaching, May even have been a part owner.

I thought I read where he was an off season bartender, and that’s where he would go if he quit coaching, May even have been a part owner.
Yes, he bought a bar in his home town and his relatives ran it. It's been closed for quite a while.

I had the chance to talk with him at a Gopher football event during his first full year as a coach. Nice guy. He seems If he were your neighbor you would get along fine. He talked about his bar/restaurant down there and we got into a weird discussion about the cost of operation and the supply chain. Then he told me he was a math guy and it kind of made sense. He was a math teacher, too.

By no means was I trying to make fun of him or anything. I'm just surprised he isn't coaching anymore. I think he could be a really good D Coordinator or D Coach somewhere. Must not have the desire anymore and that's ok.

By no means was I trying to make fun of him or anything. I'm just surprised he isn't coaching anymore. I think he could be a really good D Coordinator or D Coach somewhere. Must not have the desire anymore and that's ok.
From what I have heard and read, Tracy is a bit set in his ways. He had the luxury of working a long time for the same guy and was largely left alone to do his job as he wanted. He's struggled putting up with more meddling and criticism from later employers. Most guys in his place would put up with grief because they want/need the money. He doesn't need a lot of money to be happy and would prefer do something else rather than put up with an environment he doesn't enjoy.

Damn. Some of you all are real dicks.
+1000 - I am sure some think they are being funny and don't realize they are being an ahole but not sure why some are so compelled to make fun of his size.....it is pretty pathetic.

Claeys was a really good DC, but must have decided the coaching grind just wasn't worth it anymore.

Gopher fans have talked a lot about class on this board, but a classy comment is beyond the mental or moral capacity of many of them.
Yes, that's for sure. I'm not sure why some here seem to have a stiffy for him. He didn't create the situation involving the cheerleader. Could he have handled things differently, maybe- maybe not. I know I would have left with hard feelings, the administration threw him under the PC bus.

He coached more aggressively than Rossi, but the results look to be about the same. Kill/Claeys teams Points Against was impressive even though they didn't rank as high in Yards Against. Best LB play we've had in my memory. Claeys would gamble at times and pay the price, but his defense was more "forward" and I kind of miss that.

As a DC or position coach you are at the whim of the HC and I just thin Tracy was done with that aspect of the game. Bouncing around and not knowing what the next year would bring. Seems he's good with his $$ an onto the next phase.

I've said this before but I know a player that played for him and he always said that Claeys was a defensive genius.

I had a brief conversation with Tracy once as well and he was very cordial.

For Claeys it seems money isn't everything, which is refreshing.

I've said this before but I know a player that played for him and he always said that Claeys was a defensive genius.

I had a brief conversation with Tracy once as well and he was very cordial.

For Claeys it seems money isn't everything, which is refreshing.
His Holiday Bowl game against WSU, Leach and Gardner Minshew was REMARKABLE.

smart guy - math background - has experience in planning, organizing and carrying out strategies - sounds like a good fit for banking.

BTW - my lasting Holiday Bowl memory will always be the sideline camera shots of Kahler and Coyle. The Gophers were putting off an upset while playing short-handed, and the college President and AD looked like someone had just run over their dog. I suspect the decision had already been made to change coaches.........

+1000 - I am sure some think they are being funny and don't realize they are being an ahole but not sure why some are so compelled to make fun of his size.....it is pretty pathetic.

Claeys was a really good DC, but must have decided the coaching grind just wasn't worth it anymore.
Don't ask what I think a guy who is 200 pounds over weight is doing than. Because I'm gonna guess eating every single time. Or napping.

Top Bottom