Tournament expansion possibility

Completely foolish if they do it. The casual fan is not going to engage with a 90 team tournament.
I think fans still buy in and attend games as well as watch on tv but think it’s big enough already and any more teams aren’t likely worthy of the tournament anyway.

Not to be "get off my lawn" old guy (as im not old ha) but this is a total disaster if they do it. That said, you know they would make more money off more teams so at this point i would say its going to happen, just will be when not if.

I think fans still buy in and attend games as well as watch on tv but think it’s big enough already and any more teams aren’t likely worthy of the tournament anyway.
Some will. But they would either have to start it on Tuesday and have 6 straight days of basketball or push it to a 4 week-end event. Either way, casual fans who do office pools and watch a few games on TV will tap out.

Not to be "get off my lawn" old guy (as im not old ha) but this is a total disaster if they do it. That said, you know they would make more money off more teams so at this point i would say its going to happen, just will be when not if.
They won't necessarily make more $. It's all about TV ratings. If those drop, there is less $, even if you sell a few more tickets. Not to mention the fact that it dilutes the interest of regular season games. If your team is even .500 in a major conference, they will make it.

I want to wait and see how paying players works out before I decide on if I'd want an expanded tournament.

In the case of football...I'm for anything that makes it more difficult for the top teams.

Not sure why they need to expand the field. Let's face it, that's exactly what the conference tournaments do. They expand the tournament to include every single team and if you win, you're in the NCAA's and if you continue to win, you get the national championship. And since the conference tournaments generally happen the first week-end of March, you can keep the moniker March Madness.

I think the word "possibility" in the title of this thread can be changed to "probability". Seems actually more a certainty, a matter of "when" not "if".

I think the word "possibility" in the title of this thread can be changed to "probability". Seems actually more a certainty, a matter of "when" not "if".

It won't be worth watching.

Yuk.

The worst part of this isn't the extra round of the post-season, but rather the impact it will have on the importance of the regular season. It's already a sport that is increasingly "let's just wait until March" for a large percentage of the P5 programs, but if you expand even further, it mitigates the importance that much more of games for most of the season.

Go Gophers!!

This is so dumb. Most popular sporting tournament there is, including people who are not really basketball fans. There is already almost no interest in the 65-68 games that take place earlier in the week. It just waters down the regular season and conference tournaments even more. Basically, with 90 teams, almost every Big Ten team should qualify. Would likely have more than teams each year.

The worst part of this isn't the extra round of the post-season, but rather the impact it will have on the importance of the regular season. It's already a sport that is increasingly "let's just wait until March" for a large percentage of the P5 programs, but if you expand even further, it mitigates the importance that much more of games for most of the season.

Go Gophers!!
Agreed, it dilutes the regular season even further. Devil's Advocate, I suppose an argument could be made that trying to get one of the 32 byes would somehow improve either the regular season or conference tournaments. Not sure how reducing number of games needed to win the thing from 7 to 6 would be viewed.

Personally, filling out a 96 team bracket and following action for 2 more days does not seem appealing to me. The structure of the Tournament itself is perfect.

More isn't always better. Often it's worse.

Top Bottom