Total Team Effort

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
I was able to watch most of the game. Most I've been able to see since the NDSU game. I liked our chances since Iowa did not have a running QB and did nothing tricky or special on offense. However, I am pumped at how well they played. The Chop Block on the first series, which I thought was a tough call, could have sent this team back into their shell. It did not and the O-line had their best game of the season. They were getting off the ball, pulling and opening up holes for the backs and Gray. Olson goes down and Bak steps in and after a couple 3 and outs they finish strong. The O-line was also aided by good play calling and good play by Gray, backs and receivers.

Special teams continue to play at a high level. They did not allow a kick return over 20 yards for the day and recovered an onsides kick. There were also no punt return yards for Iowa.

What a game for the defense. They had 3 sacks, forced fumble and got the big stop on 4 straight games to end the game. Even when Coker got loose there were 3-4 guys who ran him down and saving the chances for missed FG's by Iowa.

Foundation is being built boys and girls!

We played our most complete game of the year yesterday, no doubt. When a team like ours is under-manned and less talented than every team we play, sometimes the only way to win is to let the other team shoot themselves in the foot, which Iowa was certainly inclined to do most of the day. In a way, it reminded me some of a few Mason games, where we seem to dominate the entire game and somehow lost. How do you get 250 yards from one player on teh ground, have a large time of possession margin and still blow it? We still have a lot of flaws and could play a lot better. Our offensive line is super young and we've seen a lot of dumb penalties out of them. We did get a few calls to go our way, because I think that second Crawford-Tufts catch should have been incomplete and I'm not sure Gray made it on the 4th and 1 sneak, but the fact is the calls actually went our way for once and I don't feel bad at all. After the ridiculous call last week giving Nebraska a first down on a fumble, we were due for some calls to work our way. I'm not expecting us to win again this year, but if we can play better each week it won't matter. I want to see Gray continue to grow up and the rest of the team get more consistent. Hell of a game to watch though!!!

@Sparlimb

You bring up some interesting things, most notably about the connection of Mason teams dominating, and still loosing, and a 250+ yard runner and still a loss. The funny thing is the last time this happened in the Big Ten was when Mason was the Coach!! Laurence Maroney had 250+ and we still Lost lol.

Yep we can relate to this loss by the Hawks

Yeah...that ferentz is really an arrogant coach and iowa should buy out his long term 3.5 million a year contract and bring in a totally unknown and inexperienced coach to take them to a new place. Sounds like a story I heard once upon a time. I'll take the Mason years over any years we have had since then and many years that we had before then.

I'm really hopeful that Coach Kill can return us to respectability and have some GREAT SEASONS...but...we have a LONG way to go. And, I don't know how long it is going to take to get there, if we ever get there. I do hope for the best though!

If you people want to continue to bring these things up, don't be surprised to be reminded of the alternative things that are happening, have happened and possibly may happen.

It's all good. We NEED to talk about stuff...and remember stuff...don't we?
; 0 )

Nice ghost edit. Your last post made absolutely zero sense.

imthewalrus said:
Yeah...that ferentz is really an arrogant coach and iowa should buy out his long term 3.5 million a year contract and bring in a totally unknown and inexperienced coach to take them to a new place. Sounds like a story I heard once upon a time. I'll take the Mason years over any years we have had since then and many years that we had before then.

I'm really hopeful that Coach Kill can return us to respectability and have some GREAT SEASONS...but...we have a LONG way to go. And, I don't know how long it is going to take to get there, if we ever get there. I do hope for the best though!

If you people want to continue to bring these things up, don't be surprised to be reminded of the alternative things that are happening, have happened and possibly may happen.

It's all good. We NEED to talk about stuff...and remember stuff...don't we?
; 0 )

While I do think it will take time for Kill to build the program, it's not like it would take a "LONG" time for him to match Mason- he only needs 3 B1G wins per season to do so. ;)

Top Bottom