Top Recruits

RochGopher507

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to the scoping out recruits and the recruiting landscape. I was just wondering if there is a site that lists the top recruits by state?

Just be very, very cautious about the "ranking" and rating of recruits. Nobody knows which guys have the guts, grit, self control, heart and even athletic ability to be top players at the college level. Add to that the academic needs of going to a university like the U and all the off the field, out of the classroom distractions that exist for all new students and you end up with a very, very imperfect guesstimate of which players might do well in BCS football. Give me a dollar for every 'can't miss' recruit who misses and I will gladly give you a dollar for every one who makes honorable mention All Big Ten.

If you look at recruiting in those terms, it can be a little fun. Otherwise, it is a mugs game. 'Yes' you would rather get the 'highly rated' guys rather than the not 'highly rated' guys, on average. However, you will not know whether a guy was really a great recruit until his days at the U are over.

Just be very, very cautious about the "ranking" and rating of recruits. Nobody knows which guys have the guts, grit, self control, heart and even athletic ability to be top players at the college level. Add to that the academic needs of going to a university like the U and all the off the field, out of the classroom distractions that exist for all new students and you end up with a very, very imperfect guesstimate of which players might do well in BCS football. Give me a dollar for every 'can't miss' recruit who misses and I will gladly give you a dollar for every one who makes honorable mention All Big Ten.

If you look at recruiting in those terms, it can be a little fun. Otherwise, it is a mugs game. 'Yes' you would rather get the 'highly rated' guys rather than the not 'highly rated' guys, on average. However, you will not know whether a guy was really a great recruit until his days at the U are over.

You mean they can't predict with 100% accuracy how 17-18 year olds will perform in the next 4-5 years? Perish the thought!

Yep, that is exactly what I am saying. The recruiting class last year was a perfect example.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips and the link to a website. Always been interested since high school when I would see Glen Mason walking into my high school on a recruiting trip for the Sherels boys but never really got into it and figured no better time then the present!! Go Gophers

Top Bottom