Top College Football Job ?

What school is the top college football coaching destination?

• Total voters

60's Guy

Reaction score
I picked 10 candidates in random order, (all the poll allows) if I missed an obvious choice you can discuss it. Salary, recruiting budget, ability to pay top salaries to assistants, NIL available money, climate, facilities, administration support for athletics are some factors. It likely also has a huge fan base that supports the program.
Geographical location for recruiting and travel. Georgia would probably be number one in this category and Oregon last. SEC schools have shorter travel to opponents for instance.

Last edited:

I don’t think anyone has deeper pockets than Texas.. if your good you’ll be loaded with loot like no other.

I went with Michigan as it has to be a B1G team and my finger started to get frostbite as it got close to choosing OSU.

Good list, would be tough to pick just one as they all have their advantages.

If I were picking tops in their prior conferences and in the modern era, I'd go:

B10: If we're going the last 25 years, it's OSU. If we're going all time, it's Michigan.
B12: Texas>Oklahoma>A&M. Only advantage of A&M is if you won there, you would be a god given A&M is a fringe top 25 team
SEC: Bama (only show in the state)>GA>LSU
P12: Probably USC; Oregon in spite of their success still hasn't "won" anything in the past 25 years and USC has just as much money. Oregon has the Nike allure going for it, but SC has the LA glitz.

Winners against each other: Alabama (winning 5 titles since 2010, only having 2 decades not winning multiple titles-the 80s and 90s- since the 60s, and having all of the SEC backing put them in front), Michigan (has now passed OSU back after falling behind in the RR/Hoke era), Texas (we've heard how they're "back" for far too and haven't won it all since 05, but Texas money goes a long way), USC (the P12 hasn't won one since USC back in 04)

Texas should be number. It’s a huge state with more elite recruits than most, if not all, states. And they have a rabid fan base willing to spend the bucks. NIL should not be a problem.

Alabama is probably second. Not many schools are as committed to football as the Tide. They are really the only game in ‘Bama, so they have a deep and committed fan base. They are also in the middle of the Texas, Georgia and Florida recruiting hot beds, and their home state produces some upper talent.

Michigan is third, having recently wrestled that trying from Ohio State. They have gone all in on Football and will spend what it takes to stay on top.

Ohio State is 4th, closely behind Michigan. While they are still an elite football school, something is not quite right.

While all 4 B1G west coast schools are near elite, the fan base is not as active as they are east of the Rockies. This is especially true in Southern Cal where it has to be more of a social event to fill the stadiums. Oregon and Washington garner more fan support, but the population is less than the SoCal schools. Oregon has deep pockets, but they are still a small school in a small market.

I don't see "imminent" Wisconsin on the list, the next TCU, the next Washington.

1705370500581.png

The problem with all of these jobs is the tremendous amount of pressure! You could get fired at almost any time!

So, what is the best college football job to have?

I’m going with Hawaii. You’d be the highest paid government employee in the state, lower expectations, a solid recruiting base and you get to live on Oahu.

Think like a career instead of an opportunity.

Depends what you are looking for.

Like Otis said, hard to beat the paycheck and living in Hawaii. Schools on Minnesota's level gives you a lot of money, relatively lower and reasonable expectations, and then your Ohio State's, Alabama's, etc are going to give you the best chance to win a championship, make a crazy amount of money, but if you lose the wrong game (Ohio State losing to Michigan) your name is on the chopping block.

All are good deals if you can get them but are all drastically different.

State of Florida is down bad on this list.

Florida, Florida State, Miami all used to be Top 10 jobs.

I’ll go with either Texas or USC as the best job, but I think Miami in the NIL era has the most potential in the right hands.

The problem with all of these jobs is the tremendous amount of pressure! You could get fired at almost any time!

So, what is the best college football job to have?

I’m going with Hawaii. You’d be the highest paid government employee in the state, lower expectations, a solid recruiting base and you get to live on Oahu.

Think like a career instead of an opportunity.
June Jones? Is that you?

I voted LSU, simply because it is the only school that has won multiple titles with multiple coaches. Three titles with three different HCs since 2003. You can recruit Texas and the southeast regionally and also get national recruits. Great, young alumni base in the NFL.

I went with Georgia. I think the state of Georgia has more talent than Alabama and the Atlanta market is only increasing. It was close though. Texas is a good choice too but moving to a new conference footprint has some disadvantages, IMHO. That would apply to Oregon as well.

My top 4:
1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Texas

I don’t think anyone has deeper pockets than Texas.. if your good you’ll be loaded with loot like no other.
I think A&M has deeper pockets (for sports) than UT.

The fan base in Austin is not rabid for UT and outside of Austin, it's really divided into where you went to school. For people who have no affiliations, UT is probably the default but it's not as strong as how people in Alabama love Bama or people in Ohio love OSU.

Top Bottom