Top 50 Defenses In College Football This Season (#49. Minnesota)

Gophers have the potential to be solid on D, but they also have some questions to answer. The portal transfers on the D-Line have to come through.

BTW - I think I have this Nebraska thing figured out. Remember that movie "Shallow Hal" with Jack Black? he was put under some kind of a spell so that he looked at an overweight woman and saw a hot babe instead. This is what's going on with Nebraska. Someone has cast a spell over the national football writers, so every time they look at Nebraska, they see a football team, instead of a mediocre program surviving on its reputation.

The Gophers' D is underrated. There are question marks but they have improved continually.

Gophers have the potential to be solid on D, but they also have some questions to answer. The portal transfers on the D-Line have to come through.

BTW - I think I have this Nebraska thing figured out. Remember that movie "Shallow Hal" with Jack Black? he was put under some kind of a spell so that he looked at an overweight woman and saw a hot babe instead. This is what's going on with Nebraska. Someone has cast a spell over the national football writers, so every time they look at Nebraska, they see a football team, instead of a mediocre program surviving on its reputation.
I am not sure that is true. I think there are a lot of dlinemen on the roster ready to step up. It will be interesting how it shakes out, should be a pretty deep unit, but hopefully a few guys really pop and become NFL level guys, lots of potential.

The Gophers' D is underrated. There are question marks but they have improved continually.
If our DL plays well, we will rank considerably higher than this guy projects. We did lose a lot along the DL (plus Gibbens at LB), so I can see the thought behind this ranking. People don’t believe that the U can reload in DL; we have to rebuild. I think we will be better than projected here.

If our DL plays well, we will rank considerably higher than this guy projects. We did lose a lot along the DL (plus Gibbens at LB), so I can see the thought behind this ranking. People don’t believe that the U can reload in DL; we have to rebuild. I think we will be better than projected here.
I believe this will be a strong defense, secondary is deep and Linebackers will be good with Oliver, Cody L and MSM! DL may be its weakest element but it should be above average and the secondary will elevate the DL with their coverage!

With our schedule and adding some much needed depth, I'm sure we will be ranked quite a bit higher than 49th. Here is the early rankings of our opponents:
  • Michigan State (9th)
  • Wisconsin (23rd)
  • Iowa (25th)
  • Purdue (30th)
  • Penn State (33rd)
  • Illinois (72nd)
  • Nebraska (74th)
  • Rutgers (83rd)
  • Colorado (94th)
  • Northwestern (100th)
  • New Mexico State - the fighting Kills (127th)
I don't see why our defense wouldn't be in the top 30s or even better.

Well, the simplest measure of defense is opponents' points per game. Excluding the short pandemic year, here are our rankings on that measure since 2013:

2013: #25
2014: #35
2015: #45
2016: #21
2017: #36
2018: #59
2019: #38
2021: #6

So, for bottom-line defensive measure, we've only been ranked as bad or worse as this joker's prediction once in the 8 years shown and close to it in one other year (2015). Does he really think that we're going to drop 43 places in one year even with a few key losses?

Well, the simplest measure of defense is opponents' points per game. Excluding the short pandemic year, here are our rankings on that measure since 2013:

2013: #25
2014: #35
2015: #45
2016: #21
2017: #36
2018: #59
2019: #38
2021: #6

So, for bottom-line defensive measure, we've only been ranked as bad or worse as this joker's prediction once in the 8 years shown and close to it in one other year (2015). Does he really think that we're going to drop 43 places in one year even with a few key losses?
He thinks mostly about clicks...

I am actually excited for some of the young Dline talent to get some playing time. Looking forward to seeing guys like Joyner, Schuster, Eastern, Booker, Keys, and Bixby.

I can recall living through many years of Gopher football just wishing we could have a top 50 defense, those days are long over.......Gophers will be a top 20 defense, you can bank on it!

I’m pretty sure Big Game Boomer is just a youngish football fan fan throwing crap at the wall. Kudos to him for monetizing it with YouTube, Twitter, IG. Most of us do the crap throwing for free.

If I want great analysis I’ll find Sir Yacht.

Y'all are sleeping way too much on a defense that's returning three redshirt seniors LBs and two senior safeties from what was already a top 10 defense last year.

Teams on this list that have a good argument versus Minnesota: Wisconsin, Clemson, Alabama, Iowa, Penn St., Texas A&M, and Georgia

Teams on this list that might be in the conversation: Notre Dame, NC St., Auburn, Boise St., SDSU, Florida St., and Ohio St.

Teams on this list that should absolutely not be in this discussion: Everyone else

Would be a big comedown as we were 5th in the nation in total defense last year.

Y'all are sleeping way too much on a defense that's returning three redshirt seniors LBs and two senior safeties from what was already a top 10 defense last year.

No one here is sleeping on anything. As another poster stated succinctly, this "analysis" is just "throwing crap against the wall." The Net is loaded with garbage. People posting stuff here should take some responsibility to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Top Bottom