Too few guards

Blackhammer

Reaction score
In looking at the roster we basically have four guards, at least who can handle the ball if you include Maverik. Same deal as the year Nolan got hurt and Joseph left. To me Tubby seems to recruit size more than anything. In today's game the wrong approach IMO. If we stay healthy we should be ok but instead of all these power forwards and posts it would be nice to have more guards. At this point it doesn't seem like you could say Rodney,Coleman, or Wally can be the ball handling drive and dish guys good teams have. Making them strictly threes at best and maybe more suited to play the four.

Joe is a 2 more than anything.

In looking at the roster we basically have four guards, at least who can handle the ball if you include Maverik. Same deal as the year Nolan got hurt and Joseph left. To me Tubby seems to recruit size more than anything. In today's game the wrong approach IMO. If we stay healthy we should be ok but instead of all these power forwards and posts it would be nice to have more guards. At this point it doesn't seem like you could say Rodney,Coleman, or Wally can be the ball handling drive and dish guys good teams have. Making them strictly threes at best and maybe more suited to play the four.

He's handeled the rock plenty in HS and Pulley. Wally, I have no idea how well he can dribble & dish, hope to see him next Tuesday at the HP Pro-Am.

At the end of the season Rodeny was showing strong development to becoming a very solid 3/SG. That's where we need him this year and thats where he needs to be for his pro career.

Wally will be able to handle some 2 guard duty. He will need to work on his ball handling but he can shoot pretty well and is athletic enough to play the two or three. He needs to improve his foot speed. That being said he probably won't see a lot of playing time this year but he will make the most of his minutes.

How many guards can one team have and still keep players happy. Tubby plays 10-11 players each game and still players are not always happy with their roles. Its almost impossible to have 5-6 guards on a roster because the 5th and 6th guys are going to leave. Wait I think we had one who left who could handle the ball some of the time.

The problem isn't that we haven't had enough guards its been that we haven't had enough guards that can actually handle the rock. We have 3 right now and that includes Mav who shouldn't be on a B10 roster and Welch who has the speed of a Center. Need more combo types

I hear the concern, but I am comfortable with our situation. We have Hollins and Welch who can play the point and Mav in case of emergency.

Coleman and Austin Hollins handle the ball well enough for SG.

But yeah, like the year Nolen got hurt and Joseph left the team, if we lose our 2 best PGs, we're in trouble. However, I don't think many teams could do a ton without their best two PGs.

I hear the concern, but I am comfortable with our situation. We have Hollins and Welch who can play the point and Mav in case of emergency.

Coleman and Austin Hollins handle the ball well enough for SG.

But yeah, like the year Nolen got hurt and Joseph left the team, if we lose our 2 best PGs, we're in trouble. However, I don't think many teams could do a ton without their best two PGs.

I completely agree. This feels like much ado about nothing. We have 5 guys out of 13 scholarship players that play either PG or SG, that sounds like a pretty solid number to me. Of course we're going to suffer if we lose our top two PGs, just like we're going to suffer if we lose our top 2 centers. In fact, we're going to suffer a whole lot more if we lose both EE and Mo. Tubby should probably go out and grab a few more centers, just in case.

Maybe what I'm saying is we lack ballhandlers .Not point guards but decent ballhandling twos. I'm mean come on we lose Nolen and Devoe and Blake and Rodney became our ballhandlers.I would much rather run out of centers than guards.We lose EE and Mo throw Trevor in the 5 and Rodney at the 4. You have Ingram, Oto as backups. Lose Dre and Welch and we don't even get the ball up the court.

Maybe what I'm saying is we lack ballhandlers .Not point guards but decent ballhandling twos. I'm mean come on we lose Nolen and Devoe and Blake and Rodney became our ballhandlers.I would much rather run out of centers than guards.We lose EE and Mo throw Trevor in the 5 and Rodney at the 4. You have Ingram, Oto as backups. Lose Dre and Welch and we don't even get the ball up the court.

I tend to agree with you.

If we go to a three guard line-up, we have Hollins, Hollins and Welch. The only back-up guard would be Mav, and I consider him an emergency guard at best. Even Austin and Julian are not that great of ball-handlers.

Coleman and Rodney are NOT guards.

Respectfully, I think it's much ado about nothing. Even with 11 letterman back there are going to be spots where you can be better and/or deeper. I don't believe a three guard line-up will be an important part of our offense next year. I expect Dre to play big minutes all year and Welch to be a capable back-up. Further, I believe Mav as a now experienced junior will be fine in an emergency. He was forced to play way before he was ready.

Very important we sign a PG in this recruiting class.

Go Gophers!

Coleman and Rodney are NOT guards.

At 6'3" or 6'4", I don't really see Coleman as a forward. We do need another ball handler for next year though, so far for 2013 all we will have is Dre and Mav, and maybe Mav will improve enough to become a viable option, and maybe Wally, Austin, or Joe will have developed enough ball handling aptitude to play point in small doses, but as of now, it doesn't seem like we'll have much for 2013-14.

At 6'3" or 6'4", I don't really see Coleman as a forward. We do need another ball handler for next year though, so far for 2013 all we will have is Dre and Mav, and maybe Mav will improve enough to become a viable option, and maybe Wally, Austin, or Joe will have developed enough ball handling aptitude to play point in small doses, but as of now, it doesn't seem like we'll have much for 2013-14.

I guess what I was saying is he is not a good shooter or ball-handler.

Top Bottom