Tom Powers: Gophers hit a new low, but worst is yet to come

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Tom Powers: Gophers hit a new low, but worst is yet to come
Tom Powers
Updated: 09/11/2010 07:00:26 PM CDT

Too bad they don't sell alcohol at TCF Bank Stadium. For that matter, it's too bad they don't sell opiates. Gopher Nation definitely was ready to float away from Saturday's football horror.

The story line for the upcoming contest between Minnesota and USC now has been established. The game will feature one team that officially has been disgraced against another that informally is really, really embarrassed. Ugh! What an awful exhibition against South Dakota. My ears are red with embarrassment just from watching it.

When the USC Trojans, currently in hot water with the NCAA, look at the film of the Gophers' loss to South Dakota, their jaws will drop. Then they will blink and rub their eyes. Finally, they will break into guffaws that will echo across campus. Minnesota's defense was so stunningly bad against the Coyotes, it's frightening to think about what will happen against a good, if heavily sanctioned, USC team.

"As I just told the team, the depth of my disappointment, right now, you can't measure it," coach Tim Brewster said after the mind-boggling 41-38 loss to the Coyotes.

Listen, if the Gophers can't beat South Dakota, how in heck are they supposed to beat USC — other than to hope that more Trojan misdeeds will lead to an NCAA-mandated forfeiture a couple of years down the road? It was just awful, I tell you. And on the way down to the news conference after the game, whose smiling face popped up on the TV doing a bit of Big Ten Network analysis of the game? Why, none other than Glen Mason, who appeared quite animated and perky.

In fairness to Mase, the sound was off so I really don't know what he had to say. But he looked to be in such high spirits that I thought he might wet himself.

"I guarantee you we're not going to go in there scared," quarterback Adam Weber said of the USC game. "Any time you go into something and you're timid or scared, you've already lost the game."

I'd be terrified. I might even transfer to a junior college before getting my head handed to me on a platter. Offensively, the Gophers could survive. But that defense, especially the secondary, can't possibly have a chance. Against South Dakota, the same slant pass that was wide open in the first quarter was wide open in the fourth quarter. Time after time after time.

"There's no excuse to have a defensive performance like we had today," Brewster said. "But we can't let this game define us, define our season."

It probably already has. Minnesota was supposed to win this one easily, maybe by three or four touchdowns. But if nothing else, the game substantiated Brewster's theories that these pre-conference games against lesser schools don't do anything to help recruiting. Especially if you lose them.

South Dakota quarterback Dante Warren seems like a good player, and I don't want to take anything away from him. But I don't recall seeing him on anyone's preseason All-America list, either. Against the mis-tackling, non-covering Gophers defense, he threw for 352 yards and ran for another 81. In all, he was responsible for five touchdowns. Minnesota defenders looked like greyhounds at the racetrack, laboring after the mechanical rabbit that never gets caught.

"There's talent on the defensive side of the ball," Brewster said. "We've got to coach that talent out."

(Insert your own punch line here.)

Afterward, the usually upbeat Brewster was as crestfallen as I've ever seen him. When he wasn't trying to convey his total disappointment, he kept repeating that the responsibility for the loss was his and his alone.

"I accept the blame," he said several times.

As if people weren't going to assign it to him anyway. That's how it is in college sports. It's always the coach's fault, even though some of his defensive players were so inept that they appeared to be good candidates for range-of-motion therapy.

Well, that was not the way to make friends and influence people. It's impossible to overstate how horrible Saturday's loss was in the grand scheme of things.

Can the Gophers now avoid a seasonlong tailspin? Yeah, if they beat USC. That would help erase the discomfort from the South Dakota game.

It's a tall order, but one that is necessary. Otherwise, that debacle will remain stuck in everyone's throat, like a fishbone.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_16052227

Go Gophers!!

You know what looks worse than the scoreboard today? Tom Powers and his giant, bloated, strawberry colored head.

I hate Powers.. but he was right on the money on this one.

You know what looks worse than the scoreboard today? Tom Powers and his giant, bloated, strawberry colored head.

Aren't you the guy that took Psych 101? What's that say about you that you attack somebody's physical attributes in this manner?

Powers is right on the money. This program is a mess, whether Brewster, the assistant coaches or the players want to admit it or not.

Tim Brewster is still learning how to coach......next year he will most likely be learning somewhere else.

This one was tough, but I can't say that I am surprised anymore. This team can lose to literally ANYONE.

The Gophers have got to get it back together or the wheels will come off the cart the entire season and longtime Gopher fans know exactly what I am talking about. Right now scheduling USC doesn't seem like that good of an idea, does it?? I think we should worry about getting good enough to beat teams like South Dakota and North Dakota St. before we go after the elite teams like USC. We aren't even close to being a good football team right now but hopefully we can man up and get it together here very quickly or it's going to be a very very rotten next couple months for all of us Gopher fans.

The USC game could be so bad - it might be a must see game. Kind of like Nebraska back in the 80s. A psychic cleansing. After something like that you don't even feel bad when everyone is fired - better they should find something in life they can be successful at and soon. Coaching football isn't it.

Am I one of the only ones what remember the 1983 84-13 loss to Nebraska? Next weekend will be that kind of game. Watch any college game on TV where "premier" programs are playing and you see athletes up and down the O and D line...we have none of that.

Am I one of the only ones what remember the 1983 84-13 loss to Nebraska? Next weekend will be that kind of game. Watch any college game on TV where "premier" programs are playing and you see athletes up and down the O and D line...we have none of that.

And I don't see Lane Kiffin showing any mercy either. 70-0. And we won't have positive rushing yards for the game.

Top Bottom