Told You People, Tubby is Great!!!

notagopherfan

Reaction score
If you go 500 in the big ten with a win or 2 in the big ten tournament you're dancing for sure. This could be a 22 to 25 win year. When's the last time Minnesota won 25 games? You'd have to go back to 1989 for the last time you even won 23 games officially if you take out the year in 1996 that doesn't count. The most Monson ever won is 21 and Tubby has matched and bested that in 4 seasons. So to those who say you aren't better off I give you this.. and EFF OFF!!!

1999-00 12–16 4–12 none none
2000–01 18–14 5–11 NIT 2nd Round none
2001–02 18–13 9–7 NIT 2nd Round none
2002–03 19–14 8–8 NIT 4th Place none
2003–04 12–18 3–13 none none
2004–05 21–11 10–6 NCAA 1st Round none
2005–06 16–15 5–11 NIT 2nd Round none
2006–07 9–22 3–13 none Coach Dan Monson resigned midseason; replaced by Jim Molinari

Start of Tubby Era... notice how Monson only reached 20 wins one time and Tubby has 3 out of 4 times and reached the ncaa 2 out of 4 seasons..

2007–08 20–13 8–10 NIT 1st Round none
2008–09 22–11 9–9 NCAA 1st Round none
2009–10 21–14 9–9 NCAA 1st Round none
2010–11 17–14 6-12 none none

2007–08 20–13 8–10 NIT 1st Round none
2008–09 22–11 9–9 NCAA 1st Round none
2009–10 21–14 9–9 NCAA 1st Round none
2010–11 17–14 6-12 none none

So are you saying that this is success ? Does Minn now have everything that was hoped for and expected when Tubby was hired. When Tubby came to Minn. did you have a pep rally cheering 4 straight years of no NCAA/NIT
tourn. wins? Surely that's not what was expected
I kinda noticed that the more Monson's players graduate and the team becomes more Tubby's the worse it gets.
I'm not disputing that he has done better than Monson but I am saying this.

Since arriving at Minn. the majority of the wins have come at the hands of pre conference cupcakes. Even several
of those have been very close wins. Once the quality of the opponent rises the wins take a drastic drop.
The majority of the Big 10 wins happen when The Gophers play at home against the bottom feeders.
Sure there have been exceptions as there are to every rule.

This is year 5 of the Tubby Era at Minn. The players he has are all his. Their college experience and what they have been taught at this level is all at the hands of Tubby. His first year was uplifting but I wonder, was it that Tubby was so great in having a team finish 20-13 or was is that Monson was so bad that 20-13 looked like magic.
I don't think 20-13 with a 1st round NIT loss is all that great. It looks better than it is only because Monson was so terrible.

Don't measure success by the failure of others. You are elevating Tubby by comparing him to a very weak coach.

Once the quality of the opponent rises the wins take a drastic drop.

What a profound and enlightening statement! I bet there are no other schools in the country that have a lower winning percentage against better competition than against worse competitiong

Monson is a decent coach.. he won 22 games at long beach state last year. Tubby has was 20 or more games 3 out of 4 years. I don't care who the opponents are, that's better than you were. In fact you guys only have 7 20 win seasons that count in the last 30 years that count.. 3 of which belong to Tubby. So I'd say you're much better off but go ahead and dog Tubby if that makes you feel better. Tubby has performed to expecatations there IMO.. just because you haven't won a national championship or been to a final 4 doesn't make him a failure.

He'll get your NCAA tournament win this year.. book it!!!

Monson is a decent coach.. he won 22 games at long beach state last year. Tubby has was 20 or more games 3 out of 4 years. I don't care who the opponents are, that's better than you were. In fact you guys only have 7 20 win seasons that count in the last 30 years that count.. 3 of which belong to Tubby. So I'd say you're much better off but go ahead and dog Tubby if that makes you feel better. Tubby has performed to expecatations there IMO.. just because you haven't won a national championship or been to a final 4 doesn't make him a failure.

He'll get your NCAA tournament win this year.. book it!!!

Why do people like to accuse disenchanted fans of being upset for not making the final four? I am upset that we don't have a tournament win and have failed to reach the final 32. I don't think we should fire Tubby or anything, but he does need to step it up. Get us into that 32 team round and I will lay of the criticism a little bit.

On a side note: I would not be satisfied with just a win in the first four, because I expect this team to play well enough to get a seed that does not require us to play in those games.

Worthless post. Why doesn't Tubby praiser compare us to other programs not to us under Monson. Let's be honest, not one person expected us to go into year 5 with this type of talent on the team. The number of wins a year has nothing to do with success. I measure success on Big Ten wins. OP can start crowing when we finish in the top 3 of the conference. Until then, I don't want to discuss our coaches successful run here.

I think that the potential for a quality NCAA tournament team is much better with Tubby at the helm than with any replacement we could land. Much like everyone else, I'd love for the team to have a win in the NCAA tournament by now, and a better B1G conference record, but what are we comparing this to? People on this blog speak as if the U of M has some rich history of waxing NCAA tournament competition, my expectations are much lower. At least we get to watch a team that has talented players, hopefully we get an NCAA birth and a win this year.

GopherHoopsFan

You have 11 appearances in the NCAA tournament in your entire history. 4 of which don't really count, so 7. Tubby got there in his 2nd and 3rd years. You were ranked in the top 15 and well on your way again last year but guys ran into some bad luck with the injuries and tranfers. I think the staff has done a better job of getting good players the last couple of years. Of course you've lost all of your front court depth in the last week but you can tell this team has no quit in them. You have 3 cupcakes and then a decent North Dakota St team so you should be 12-1 heading into conference play. Right now your RPI is 11. If you go 8-8 in conference you'll get in the big dance. I think you'll go 10-8 and win a couple in the conference tournament.. so 24 wins heading into the ncaa tournament. I'd say that sets up as a pretty good year.

Tubby's teams have defeated Purdue, Michigan State, Butler, Louisville, North Carolina, West Virginia and Wisconsin. That's not too bad.

Tubby's teams have defeated Purdue, Michigan State, Butler, Louisville, North Carolina, West Virginia and Wisconsin. That's not too bad.

True. But let's beat these teams in Mar/Apr instead of Dec/Jan.

True, most of the wins came early in the season, when we had a point guard. This year, in the last two games, aren't we seeing the importance of guard play at the college level? Welch, despite what is reported as a tender ankle, is improving with each game and looking like a real player. Programs go in waves and the Gophers are a team on the rise. Perhaps this is a growing year, but if you envision: Eliason/Walker (C); Rodney/Walker/Buggs (PF); and combos of Welch/Hollins squared/Chip/Ellenson (SF/SG/PG) I think you can imagine this team as an upper half of the Big Ten in 2012/3. This sets up Tubby for the push to lock up Washington and Tyus for MN in 2013/4 (not that I'm saying we get either or both, but the program will become more attractive for recruiting).

Top Bottom