Tobi Okuyemi

I also disagree that there are 5-6 players in Minnesota who can be players at the Big Ten level. There are only 3-4
I guess it depends on what you mean by "Big Ten level" but the state usually produces much more than 3-4 BCS athletes.

2010: At least 7, probably 8-9.
2009: 8, not including Fritz Rock
2008: 11, not including Rozell Gayden
2007: 13

I hate to let facts get in the way of a good argument though..

As long as we are still moving on the debate of In-state recruiting, Beau Allen has been down-graded by Rivals from a 5.6 to a 5.5 status. This is very interesting to me because I thought he was under-rated because of his offer list. But...I did watch him play against Hopkins and he looked rather unimpressive.

Has he regressed in play from his Freshman and Sophmore campaigns at Minnetonka, or were they hyping him based on what he potentially could have become and he just never panned out like expected?

You don't really think that Rivals rating a kid 5.7, 5.6 or 5.5 will be any factor in the type of college career someone has, do you?

The stars are silly enough, this number thing is ridiculous.

If you believe in the coaching staff and they think they can recruit a kid and make him a good college football player, that is the only thing that should matter.

The invitation is still there GVBadger, to leave us alone.........your snippy, snide posts only speak of ARROGANCE.

Rickman, pleasure conversing with you again. Hope you are having a nice day and have a great weekend.

I am the arrogant one because I call someone out for talking about something that they have no earthly idea about? I think you have the wrong definition of arrogance.

Enjoy the game tomorrow.

You don't really think that Rivals rating a kid 5.7, 5.6 or 5.5 will be any factor in the type of college career someone has, do you?

The stars are silly enough, this number thing is ridiculous.

If you believe in the coaching staff and they think they can recruit a kid and make him a good college football player, that is the only thing that should matter.

No, but unlike yourself who figures to be the college football know it all on this board, he has been evaluated by professionals so I will take there evaluation of him over yours or any other poster on this board for that matter.

I am the arrogant one because I call someone out for talking about something that they have no earthly idea about? I think you have the wrong definition of arrogance.

Paint it however you want. The fact is that Wisconsin finally offered some guys this year who had legitimate interest in other schools, and they lost both.

It is also interesting that all 5 in-state offers from 2009 had a cumulative total of 0 offers from other Big Ten schools, and 1 BCS offer (Dippel, Stanford). Congratulations on beating out an academic school (which is 2,100+ miles away) that has been quite mediocre-to-terrible in football for the last decade. Kudos.

Also, your assertion from earlier:

He is the first one in Wisconsin to leave with a Badgers offer in quite some time.

is factually incorrect. Unless you consider 2 recruiting classes ago "quite some time" (which I don't). In that case, you are correct. But here in the real world, Brandon Brooks signed with Miami (OH) in 2007. Yes, Virginia, you really did lose out to Miami (OH) just 2.5 years ago.

But, by all means, keep telling yourself that I'm "talking about something that have no earthly idea about".

No, but unlike yourself who figures to be the college football know it all on this board, he has been evaluated by professionals so I will take there evaluation of him over yours or any other poster on this board for that matter.

I am not a know it all, never claimed to be. I also never evaluate any player. That is what coaching staffs get paid to do. The coaching staffs of Minnesota, Stanford, Wisconsin, Michigan and Notre Dame have evaluated Allen and offered him a scholarship.

Do you think they like him any less as a player because Rivals moved him to a 5.5 instead of a 5.6?

Also, who do you think is better at evaluating talent. The Minnesota coaching staff or Rivals?

Paint it however you want. The fact is that Wisconsin finally offered some guys this year who had legitimate interest in other schools, and they lost both.

It is also interesting that all 5 in-state offers from 2009 had a cumulative total of 0 offers from other Big Ten schools, and 1 BCS offer (Dippel, Stanford). Congratulations on beating out an academic school (which is 2,100+ miles away) that has been quite mediocre-to-terrible in football for the last decade. Kudos.

is factually incorrect. Unless you consider 2 recruiting classes ago "quite some time" (which I don't). In that case, you are correct. But here in the real world, Brandon Brooks signed with Miami (OH) in 2007. Yes, Virginia, you really did lose out to Miami (OH) just 2.5 years ago.

But, by all means, keep telling yourself that I'm "talking about something that have no earthly idea about".

Two of the players you referenced in 2009 were 4 star players. They both committed to Wisconsin in the spring of their junior year. Do you think there was a reason they list no other offers? They would have been very highly recruited if they were not Wisconsin locks so early in the process.

Clay and Oglesby were 5 star guys. Could have gone anywhere. Where did they end up?

It is useless arguing with you. You obviously know more then the Wisconsin coaching staff.

You know that Epping, Eggen and Parish are all going to be better then the players the Wisconsin coaches recruited and offered instead of them. You know they would have offered if they were going to go to Wisconsin. You have evaluated the players offered instead and determined that Wisconsin recruiting is poor. You really should get into coaching.

Two of the players you referenced in 2009 were 4 star players. They both committed to Wisconsin in the spring of their junior year. Do you think there was a reason they list no other offers? They would have been very highly recruited if they were not Wisconsin locks so early in the process.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. Again, it is not hard to compete when you are the only big program with an offer out.

Clay and Oglesby were 5 star guys. Could have gone anywhere. Where did they end up?

No one is arguing that Wisconsin has had some recruiting success. I'd love for Minnesota to sign our own 5-stars once in a while. The whole point is that you come on here (a Gophers site, by the way) and claim that Wisconsin has been infallible within its own borders for several years running, which is simply not the case. I couldn't help but notice that you conveniently left your heaping helping of crow out of your rebuttal.

(By the way, Clay was a 4-star. But let's not let facts get in the way of a good hissy-fit.)

You have evaluated the players offered instead and determined that Wisconsin recruiting is poor.

Nah, I just let Rivals do that for me:

2010 (so far): MN 32, WI 70
2009: MN 39, WI 43
2008: MN 17, WI 41

Enjoy it while it lasts.

You really should get into coaching.

Believe me, I tried my damndest for about six years. I'll freely admit that I was by no means a great player in high school and was nowhere near even community college material in terms of my football ability. Ask anyone who didn't at least play college football how difficult it is to get into coaching. I might've gotten a shot after working 100 hours a week for minimum wage, but I decided I'd rather not go to debtor's prison. So I gave up the ghost a couple years ago. I still feel I would've made a great coach, but it just wasn't in the cards.

But again, this is not about me. This is about your boy Bulimia and the delusions of grandeur you hold for him, despite loads of evidence to the contrary.

I am not a know it all, never claimed to be. I also never evaluate any player. That is what coaching staffs get paid to do. The coaching staffs of Minnesota, Stanford, Wisconsin, Michigan and Notre Dame have evaluated Allen and offered him a scholarship.

Do you think they like him any less as a player because Rivals moved him to a 5.5 instead of a 5.6?

Also, who do you think is better at evaluating talent. The Minnesota coaching staff or Rivals?

That is debatable. We could argue that all day long, but you realize that the rivals staff consists of many former recruiters for prominent college football teams, right?

wow, love it when I can come back

to a thread 24 hours later and see it still being discussed. And in the mean time we get a 5.7 rated 3* recruit from texas. Too bad really, I think theire are 2 or 3 recievers in the state of minnesota who was much more deserving of a schoalrship than this bumpkin. What are the coaches thinking! See Gopherprof and JackiO you converted me, scholarshipd for all MN players!

to a thread 24 hours later and see it still being discussed. And in the mean time we get a 5.7 rated 3* recruit from texas. Too bad really, I think theire are 2 or 3 recievers in the state of minnesota who was much more deserving of a schoalrship than this bumpkin. What are the coaches thinking! See Gopherprof and JackiO you converted me, scholarshipd for all MN players!
You might have the worst reading comprehension skills I've ever seen in my life.

The great thing about arguments about recruiting is that results on the field are the only thing that matters. Recruiting is not a separate sport. Don't get any trinket game trophies for winning the recruting battle.

If you want to think Wisconsin is recruiting poorly, knock yourself out.

The numbers say, 33-12 over the last 3.5 years and counting. 18 starters will be returning when the Gophers roll into Madison next year.

Let me know the next time the Gophers put together a 33-12 run over 3.5 years.

Damn, I wish Bielema could recruit. He might be 45-0 with the Badgers if he could.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope the Gophers beat Penn State.

That is debatable. We could argue that all day long, but you realize that the rivals staff consists of many former recruiters for prominent college football teams, right?

You seriously think it is close between who evaluates talent better, Rivals or the Minnesota coaching staff?

I guess you don't think much of your coaching staff.

The great thing about arguments about recruiting is that results on the field are the only thing that matters. Recruiting is not a separate sport. Don't get any trinket game trophies for winning the recruting battle.

Says the gal who came on this thread solely to toot her own horn about Wisconsin's in-state recruiting prowess.

*Irony*

Wow you are an extreme Narcissist aren't you. You won't stop no matter how wrong you really are. Please find somewhere, anywhere, where I said we had to take each and every Minnesota kid with any talent and offer them a scholarship. There are about 5 posters on this board that made great points about why it is important to keep the great in-state talent and you chose to respond with no logic at all, which is why I can't believe I am responding to your post in the first place. :cry:

You seriously think it is close between who evaluates talent better, Rivals or the Minnesota coaching staff?

And a Badger fan does? Give me a break.

A lot of people that work for rivals make more than a college scout does.

Says the gal who came on this thread solely to toot her own horn about Wisconsin's in-state recruiting prowess.

*Irony*

I can bring all the facts that you want to the table. They don't matter to you. You think Wisconsin recruits poorly. The results show they recruit very well.

Not much more to say.

And a Badger fan does? Give me a break.

I think the Minnesota coaching staff can evaluate talent a lot better then Rivals can. Guilty as charged.

The amount of stock that people put in those recruiting rankings amazes me.

I can bring all the facts that you want to the table. They don't matter to you. You think Wisconsin recruits poorly. The results show they recruit very well.

Not much more to say.

You really, truly, honestly don't see the irony in saying out of one side of your mouth, "Wisconsin's in-state recruiting is the greatest thing in the history of mankind" and then out of the other side saying, "Recruiting rankings are meaningless"? Really? Wow.

Then again, you are both a fan of the Badgers, and someone who spends copious amounts of time on the message board of the pathetic school across the river who's not even worthy to spit-shine Madison's Army boots. So I guess it makes sense.

I'm just glad my life is not quite so pathetic.

You really, truly, honestly don't see the irony in saying out of one side of your mouth, "Wisconsin's in-state recruiting is the greatest thing in the history of mankind" and then out of the other side saying, "Recruiting rankings are meaningless"? Really? Wow.

Then again, you are both a fan of the Badgers, and someone who spends copious amounts of time on the message board of the pathetic school across the river who's not even worthy to spit-shine Madison's Army boots. So I guess it makes sense.

I'm just glad my life is not quite so pathetic.

Never said the in state recrutiing for the Badgers is the greatest thing in the history of mankind. It is pretty good, judging by the results. The Badgers get a large majority of the in state players they recruit.

Recruiting rankings are meaningless because the only thing that matters is what happens on the field. Not sure where the disconnect is there. If you win consistently, you are recruiting well. If you don't, you are not. Recruiting is not the sport, football is.

I enjoy talking football. Badgers, Gophers, Big Ten, etc., that makes me pathetic, I guess I am in good company with a lot of people.

Geez GV....we going to have to start calling you Ruppert??

Getting pretty defensive for coming onto an enemies board and picking a fight.

Get Over yourself...

I don't think he's being very defensive at all. People talk *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# to GV all the time making personal insults. I frankly haven't seen him do that one time.

If you don't like Badgers fans on the board that's fine, but I don't see for a minute how he is "picking a fight"

Leave GVBadger alone. He's having personal conflicts. He really wants to be a gopher but just is having a really really hard time taking the last step.

I think recruiting MN is important for the PR that has been stated and sometimes you find that diamond like Marion Barber III, Decker, Spaeth, Utecht, etc. But talent wise you can not field a team of a majority of MN players and win. We may produce a handful of D1 players but not many become dominant players, mostly role players, and some 1 or 2 year starters. I don't completely hate MN players but the talent gap between MN high schools and many other states is huge.

Can you please share the names and backgrounds of these rivals evaluators because I have had difficulty finding this when looking in the past. I have also seen criticism that many of their evaluators were eithers sports writers or AV/film guys for schools with little to none coaching experience. I don't know if this is true or not and that is why I am asking? I know for some of the other recruiting services it has been a lot easier to find the backgrounds of the evaluators. I personally don't get that caught up in the stars because the offer list is more telling, after all coaches have been able to evaluate and grade talent pretty well long before Rivals existed. The other important thing is that coaches need to be able to develop the talent once it gets on campus, recruiting is only part of the equation.

Can you please share the names and backgrounds of these rivals evaluators because I have had difficulty finding this when looking in the past. I have also seen criticism that many of their evaluators were either sports writers or AV/film guys for schools with little to none coaching experience.

You don't need to be a coach to evaluate talent, I could spend one day at each High School in the State watching practice or a game and tell you who the real players are and who has no game. You can usually tell after a quick look, the hard part is evaluating who can make the grades and stay in school, who is going to work hard, who is going to keep their nose clean, etc. That is the hard part and Rivals does not need to do that, the Coaches do.

Top Bottom