Timmy vs. Tubby

GiveHim5Years

Reaction score
Longtime viewer, first time post. I was holding out hope until the disappointing finish at TCF yesterday. After the game I immediately turned my attention to basketball and now I’m totally depressed. IF the preseason predictions are correct we are headed to an 8th-10th place finish in Big 10 Hoops. Big 10 results are everything to me and neither coach has produced a top half finish.

Win %, Rank Win %, Rank
Big 10 Football Basketball
2007 .000 (11) .444 (6)
2008 .375 (T6) .500 (T7)
2009 .375 (8) .500 (6)

Last Top 4 finish in football happened in 2003, basketball occurred in 2005. Both coaches had excellent recruiting classes in 2008 and have slipped since. I will argue that it is a much longer process to make your football program successful. Shocking to see the difference of opinion going into the season…..majority wanted Brewster fired last season….majority want an extension going into this season for Tubby. Why do we have higher expectations for a first time HC in his 4th year compared to an experienced HC in his 4th year?

Predictions:
Football – Dave Christensen (Wyoming) will take over the program next year.
Basketball – Tim Miles (Colorado State) will take over the program in 2011-12.

My Recommendations - Football:
Brewster – Remains for another year regardless of the final record unless the youth quits on him during the season. Competitive L’s will be accepted since his 08 class will only be JR’s and RS-SO’s next season.
John Butler (LB/Special Teams) – Needs to drop Special Team responsibilities at minimum.
Thomas Hammock (Co-OC/RB) – Drop Co-OC title at a minimum unless he is all that as a recruiter. RB performance has been disappointing since his arrival.
Ronnie Lee (Co-DC/DB) – Drop Co-DC title at a minimum.

My Recommendations – Basketball:
Smith – Remains for another year regardless of the final record. Tubby can X & O. I don’t like his staff. Saul Smith is learning on the job. Ron Jirsa will never be a HC again after being fired @ Georgia & Marshall. Vince Taylor has been unable to match his recruiting magic at Louisville. I would demand at least one change to staff if we have an unsuccessful season.

Go Gophers!

Christensen is like Sumlin - he's coached only a couple of seasons. Since you mention a Dane, I'd go for that more seasoned and successful Dane, Chris Petersen - a good fit for Minnesota Scandinavians.

Who is predicting a 8-10 finish in hoops? I have seen 4-6 in almost every publication. Tubby's 2009 class was arguably as good as 2008 if not better. The Royce situation was unfortunate. He still signed 1 5* and 2 4*. Last year was a drop off in recruiting due to late transfers. This year he has already signed a top 100 kid, with 2 others on the short list.

Longtime viewer, first time post. I was holding out hope until the disappointing finish at TCF yesterday. After the game I immediately turned my attention to basketball and now I’m totally depressed. IF the preseason predictions are correct we are headed to an 8th-10th place finish in Big 10 Hoops. Big 10 results are everything to me and neither coach has produced a top half finish.

Win %, Rank Win %, Rank
2007 .000 (11) .444 (6)
2008 .375 (T6) .500 (T7)
2009 .375 (8) .500 (6)

Last Top 4 finish in football happened in 2003, basketball occurred in 2005. Both coaches had excellent recruiting classes in 2008 and have slipped since. I will argue that it is a much longer process to make your football program successful. Shocking to see the difference of opinion going into the season…..majority wanted Brewster fired last season….majority want an extension going into this season for Tubby. Why do we have higher expectations for a first time HC in his 4th year compared to an experienced HC in his 4th year?

Predictions:

Brewster – Remains for another year regardless of the final record unless the youth quits on him during the season. Competitive L’s will be accepted since his 08 class will only be JR’s and RS-SO’s next season.
John Butler (LB/Special Teams) – Needs to drop Special Team responsibilities at minimum.
Thomas Hammock (Co-OC/RB) – Drop Co-OC title at a minimum unless he is all that as a recruiter. RB performance has been disappointing since his arrival.

Smith – Remains for another year regardless of the final record. Tubby can X & O. I don’t like his staff. Saul Smith is learning on the job. Ron Jirsa will never be a HC again after being fired @ Georgia & Marshall. Vince Taylor has been unable to match his recruiting magic at Louisville. I would demand at least one change to staff if we have an unsuccessful season.

Go Gophers!

Tubby signed a 7 year contract in 2007. He's a Gopher through 2014 season. SURELY you don't expect him to be fired in favor of Tim Miles?????????????????? You must REALLY be dumb, if so.

Win %, Rank Win %, Rank
2007 .000 (11) .444 (6)
2008 .375 (T6) .500 (T7)
2009 .375 (8) .500 (6)

Predictions:

Go Gophers!

Wow, there are so many inaccuracies and flawed arguments here it's hard to know where to begin.

Tubby's record vs. Big Ten competition (including Big Ten tournaments) has improved each season:

2007-08: 10-11 (8-10 regular season) -- BTT semifinal appearance (only the 2nd in Gopher BB history)
2008-09: 10-10 (9-9 regular season)
2009-10: 12-10 (9-9 regular season) -- BTT title game appearance (1st in Gopher BB history)

In his first three years Tubby's teams have won as many games in the Big Ten Tournament (6) as the Gophers had in the previous 10 seasons. We'd never sniffed the Big Ten championship game, and he did it in his third season.

Beat the Badgers on occasion? Check. We've beaten Bo three straight, including once in Madison, no small accomplishment for any Big Ten program.

On a neutral floor, beat a team that later was good enough to be tabbed the #1 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament? Check (see Louisville circa 2008-09).

The next step is to get the Gophers into the top 3 or 4 in the Big Ten start winning some NCAA games, but yes, by all means let's get rid of him before we allow that to happen.

I think GiveHim5Years is Joel Maturi.

Top Bottom