Time to think outside the box.

Steg Money

Reaction score
First off, I sincerely hope the Gophers take a step forward this year and make a decent bowl game. However, I don't see it happening, and believe Minnesota will need to look for a new head football coach next year.

With this in mind - I think I just saw the perfect choice for the Gophers next coach in 2011 on ESPN, Herm Edwards. Here is my thinking and thought process.

1) The absolute best choice (Tony Dungy) will never take the head coaching job at Minnesota - with his focus on his charity work. Why not go for his mentee, and give Dungy a spot in the administration, which in this situation he may go for.

2) Herm Edwards is not the most brilliant strategist. Herm Edwards is not going to out-scheme anyone. But Herm Edwards will get people excited. Heck, I get excited hearing him on TV. And it won't be a manufactured level of excitement like Tim Brewster spews, but a real level of excitement.

3) Recruiting - I guarantee Herm Edwards would be a huge asset in the recruit's living room. Now, I am going to generalize here, and please understand that I don't like to do that, but in this situation, I think it is fair. Many of the top football recruits come from tough / broken family situations without a father figure. In alot of those cases - there is a strong mother / grandparent / uncle holding that family situation together. In those situations where the recruit is getting advice from someone who cares for that recruit, and not from some other blood-sucking hanger-on, is there a better man / mentor / father figure in that situation that Herm Edwards - I think not.

I really believe Herm Edwards could be the next Pete Carroll at the college level without the shady underside. And I think because of the connections with Tony Dungy - Herm Edwards would consider this job - he is not getting back to the NFL without proving himself in college (the same situation Pete Carroll was in before he took the USC job).

I have seen a number of posts on this board about the lack of excitement in the program. Herm Edwards would get people excited.

First off, I sincerely hope the Gophers take a step forward this year and make a decent bowl game. However, I don't see it happening, and believe Minnesota will need to look for a new head football coach next year.

With this in mind - I think I just saw the perfect choice for the Gophers next coach in 2011 on ESPN, Herm Edwards. Here is my thinking and thought process.

1) The absolute best choice (Tony Dungy) will never take the head coaching job at Minnesota - with his focus on his charity work. Why not go for his mentee, and give Dungy a spot in the administration, which in this situation he may go for.

2) Herm Edwards is not the most brilliant strategist. Herm Edwards is not going to out-scheme anyone. But Herm Edwards will get people excited. Heck, I get excited hearing him on TV. And it won't be a manufactured level of excitement like Tim Brewster spews, but a real level of excitement.

3) Recruiting - I guarantee Herm Edwards would be a huge asset in the recruit's living room. Now, I am going to generalize here, and please understand that I don't like to do that, but in this situation, I think it is fair. Many of the top football recruits come from tough / broken family situations without a father figure. In alot of those cases - there is a strong mother / grandparent / uncle holding that family situation together. In those situations where the recruit is getting advice from someone who cares for that recruit, and not from some other blood-sucking hanger-on, is there a better man / mentor / father figure in that situation that Herm Edwards - I think not.

I really believe Herm Edwards could be the next Pete Carroll at the college level without the shady underside. And I think because of the connections with Tony Dungy - Herm Edwards would consider this job - he is not getting back to the NFL without proving himself in college (the same situation Pete Carroll was in before he took the USC job).

I have seen a number of posts on this board about the lack of excitement in the program. Herm Edwards would get people excited.

Anyone we know?

Don't we already have this in Tim Brewster ?

When did hiring a former head football coach to be a head football coach start qualifying for thinking outside the box?

"1) The absolute best choice (Tony Dungy) will never take the head coaching job at Minnesota - with his focus on his charity work. Why not go for his mentee, and give Dungy a spot in the administration, which in this situation he may go for."

A spot in the administration like Athletic Director? Yeah, I know, pipe dreams are a beautiful thing. Brewster really could be rounding the corner with this team.

Actually, it's time to start thinking back inside the box again. The next coach, assuming the Gophers flame out this year, needs to be somebody with actual head coaching experience in the college game, not somebody who's heart isn't in it anymore (Dungy) or a never-was in coaching (Edwards).

Actually, it's time to start thinking back inside the box again. The next coach, assuming the Gophers flame out this year, needs to be somebody with actual head coaching experience in the college game, not somebody who's heart isn't in it anymore (Dungy) or a never-was in coaching (Edwards).

+1,000

Isn't it a bit early to be thinking about a new coach? Question is: what does Maturi do if the Gopher are much improved but have a losing season with a brutal schedule? Tack on the fifth year because of the obvious improvement or go with the W-L record? That may be the problem in November.

"1) The absolute best choice (Tony Dungy) will never take the head coaching job at Minnesota - with his focus on his charity work. Why not go for his mentee, and give Dungy a spot in the administration, which in this situation he may go for."

A spot in the administration like Athletic Director? Yeah, I know, pipe dreams are a beautiful thing. Brewster really could be rounding the corner with this team.

Dungy as an AD? Are you serious? Amazing how most people don't realize there's much much more to an AD's job than just hiring and firing coaches. Dungy has ZERO experience with those other things. It's also interesting that Tony Dungy seems to be the answer for every problem in the world today. Why doesn't Obama just let Dungy reform health care?

Isn't it a bit early to be thinking about a new coach? Question is: what does Maturi do if the Gopher are much improved but have a losing season with a brutal schedule? Tack on the fifth year because of the obvious improvement or go with the W-L record? That may be the problem in November.

If he is still winless against Wisconsin and Iowa and has a losing record that will be the end of Tim Brewster as our head coach.

<<2) Herm Edwards is not the most brilliant strategist. Herm Edwards is not going to out-scheme anyone. But Herm Edwards will get people excited. Heck, I get excited hearing him on TV. And it won't be a manufactured level of excitement like Tim Brewster spews, but a real level of excitement.>>

I get turned off hearing him of TV.

Dungy as an AD? Are you serious? Amazing how most people don't realize there's much much more to an AD's job than just hiring and firing coaches. Dungy has ZERO experience with those other things. It's also interesting that Tony Dungy seems to be the answer for every problem in the world today. Why doesn't Obama just let Dungy reform health care?

1. TBH anyone could do better than Maturi.

2. Obama is all for hiring the least qualified guy for the job, im sure Dungy would do great at it.

#1. I'm no Brewster fan, but having this discussion now is pointless. Let's give it til at least Oct. 1st.

#2. There's a decent chance people like Mark Richt may be available. And we already know Jim Levitz and Mike Leach are. They are all much better candidates then Herm Edwards.

Anyone that even brings up Tony Dungy in any Gopher coaching conversations loses any credibility to me. ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! Stop it, please. Dungy gave up a huge paycheck sitting on Peyton Manning as his horse. Dungy walked away from 5-6 more 11 and 12 win season's in the NFL. No way is he going to come to college football where he has to recruit and fly all over the country trying to fill a roster. In the NFL the athletes come to you. No way is Dungy going to jump into a less rewarding more time consuming job. SO ENOUGH!

If we DID need a new coach.....

......here's what I'd like to see:

Somebody with solid college head coaching experience. I couldn't care less how excited
he gets people, or if he sends a tingle up people's legs. Give me some tough, grizzled
coach whose father spent 45 years working in a cement factory. THAT'S the kind of
coach I would like to see- somebody whose gonna shove the ball down an opponent's
throat and there isn't anything in the world that anyone can do about it.

That's just me. I'm old-school to a fault.

"Thats the kind of coach I would like to see-somebody whose gonna shove the ball down the opponent's throat and there isn't anything in the world that anyone can do about it."

His name is Glen Mason

"Thats the kind of coach I would like to see-somebody whose gonna shove the ball down the opponent's throat and there isn't anything in the world that anyone can do about it."

His name is Glen Mason

Then let's add "and can field a defense that takes it personally when a team scores on them and would roll their mothers if they tried to gain yardage on them" to the job description.

We'll need a new name for that.

"would roll their mothers if they tried to gain yardage on them"

That is definitely not Glen Mason....well except maybe 1999 with Tyrone Carter.

It isn't like we have a long tradition of taking fliers on unproven coaches around here. Mason was a proven college coach, wacker was a proven college coach, it seems like Maturi though 'outside the box' last time and decided that the most important aspect of the college game is recruiting (which I agree with). Things haven't worked out on the field yet, but please, it isn't like the U has been stuck in a rut of making bad/rash decisions.

Top Bottom