Time to ditch the RPO!

lol what? Gray was a legit NFL talent on athleticism alone. Leidner was like watching your dad do a vertical jump. Get out of here with lumping these players together.
I guess a 40 time of 4.73 is super fast. And a worse shuttle time than Leidner.

I was having visions of Billy Sims the other day and thinking he was the greatest RB I ever saw in person. And then Somewhere on GH someone made the brilliant suggestion of just running the TRIPLE OPTION. I completely agree. Dump the RPO and invest in linemen and great running backs and turn them loose. You can still throw out of this formation but you don't need great throwing QBs in this offense.

Our RPO requires (1) WRs who can win off the line of scrimmage and get separation; and (2) a QB who can accurately throw over the middle. We didn’t have either this year so we rarely ran it.

But if we can’t get that fixed, then we need to rethink the offense because the RPO slant serves as the foundation for everything Fleck wants to do (seemingly).
Ding, ding, ding. Like I’ve said elsewhere, the 2019 team didn’t run a dramatically different offense, but they did run more RPO and hit on more of their “shots” because they had 2 NFL WRs who cooked man coverage and made tough catches along with a fairly accurate QB who could put it into a tight window and wasn’t afraid to give his WRs a chance downfield because they came down with it more often than not. This year’s team had neither of those things and looked pedestrian in the passing game. I was surprised HOW pedestrian they looked, but in hindsight I guess we shouldn’t be that surprised. Fleck thought he was in better shape than he was having brought in Crooms and Spencer, and he probably thought Athan would develop more than he did.

Top Bottom