Time to abandon the bench?

Look guys, mnsports255 tried to use a sample space of one game, and that being the last game only, to impulsively make a decision. That is due to inexperience in the big picture, and that being do not make a recommendation based on one game. mnsports is all right, just a little young yet.

Look guys, mnsports255 tried to use a sample space of one game, and that being the last game only, to impulsively make a decision. That is due to inexperience in the big picture, and that being do not make a recommendation based on one game. mnsports is all right, just a little young yet.

The bench proved last night among many other games that we have one of the worst benches in the country.QUOTE]

I have a feeling the Gophers will need Eliason and Ingram to play substantial minutes this week because Mr. Zeller gets a lot of calls in the paint....Mbakwe or Rodney could easily wind up in foul trouble.

Zeller is a little bit awkward looking at times, but he does a great job of selling fouls on the low blocks. Watch how he flails his head back, usually after he initiates the contact. He's gotten to be a master at that. Not unlike Manu Ginobili for the spurs.

That being said, we will need 8 to 10 sound minutes from Eliason AND Ingram. I hope Tubby also finds at least one meaningful situation where he can give Ellenson 3 minutes of PT.

I have a feeling the Gophers will need Eliason and Ingram to play substantial minutes this week because Mr. Zeller gets a lot of calls in the paint....Mbakwe or Rodney could easily wind up in foul trouble.

Zeller is a little bit awkward looking at times, but he does a great job of selling fouls on the low blocks. Watch how he flails his head back, usually after he initiates the contact. He's gotten to be a master at that. Not unlike Manu Ginobili for the spurs.

That being said, we will need 8 to 10 sound minutes from Eliason AND Ingram. I hope Tubby also finds at least one meaningful situation where he can give Ellenson 3 minutes of PT.

I agree but not sure if EE can play much vs Indiana--I think Ingram and oto are going to get some big minutes because they have a shot at running the floor to defend the Hoosiers transition offense. It would be a bit of a match up nightmare in the half court but at least they have a shot at getting back to prevent easy dunks by zeller

mnsports, I in no way dislike you, as you oftentimes make some great posts that add insight to a discussion. All I tried to sarcastically do (silly me for trying that without the sarcasm icon) was to make light of your impulsive thread about how bad our bench is using a one game example for a sample space. I think, by the various comments made here, that several other posters agree that your thread was a little out of whack for what really is needed.

Thanks Doc! I might be absolutely crazy to other people, but it wasn't an impulse decision on my part. In no way does it mean I'm right, but I just dont understand the part of our bench being useful, with guys like Eliason, Mav, and Ingram who all have potential, but don't seem to be producing when they get court time.

I guess I'll need to be convinced over the big ten season. Maybe I'm seeing something completely different though.

Well, I guess what makes the bench stand out to me as struggling is playing all 5 guys together. I feel, like I'd maybe we didn't have all 5 bench players out on the floor, individually the reserves could succeed in their own game a little bit more and gain experience from being on the floor with our starters.

Thanks Doc! I might be absolutely crazy to other people, but it wasn't an impulse decision on my part. In no way does it mean I'm right, but I just dont understand the part of our bench being useful, with guys like Eliason, Mav, and Ingram who all have potential, but don't seem to be producing when they get court time.

I guess I'll need to be convinced over the big ten season. Maybe I'm seeing something completely different though.

What about Elliot's 6 rebs & devastating block in only 10 minutes against Mich St where he completely took Derrick Nix out of the game?

Or Mav's 10pts, 2 stls & 1 ast in 15 mins against Duke? He was our best guard that day.

Ingram just had 4 pts, 4 rebs & 1 stl in 9 minutes against NW.

What exactly are you expecting from role players getting 5-15 minutes?

Tubby is very - very stubborn. He looks to his bench to see who can play w/o turnovers, game to game. If they play well, they'll continue to get time on the court. It not - they get yanked (EE at Ill) ... even though EE played good minutes against Mich St.

Yup our bench is real solid. The difference in the second string between us and IU is night and day. Otto totally sucks. Our "shooter" can't hit the broadside of a barn and is a total defensive liability.

BTN halftime show analysts ripped Tubby's decision to insert 5 bench guys in the middle of a 1-pt game.

GophersNow Marcus Fuller of the Pioneer Press writes article about the benches problems.

Then he tweets that he thought tubby was done with this inserting bench philosophy. He's clearly upset about it.

Eliason and Mav I can live with in shorts spurts. Nobody else.

Top Bottom