Time for other players to step up

Genius...the thread is about player production...after 19 games the odds strongly favor the player production being rather static going forward
Considering the age and experience of D1 players, especially freshman, it doesn't sound very ridiculous. Improving player production is contingent on each player's "production ceiling" so it makes sense that younger guys would be less static in this regard

MN is going as far as Carr can take them.
MSU took away his game and he became very frustrated. Blaming the officiating is a loser's claim.
Carr is very unlikely to get to the NBA ,ever. Winston is said to be a marginal NBA player.
MSU has more quality BIG players than almost all of the rest of the BIG.

The lack of depth is a recruiting issue. It falls on Pitino to balance the roster with viable game contributors. We get nothing from the bench. When Carr gets fatigued no help or when Gabe and Willis go cold no help, or Daniel gets tired no help. Even if Coffey would have stayed we still would have had a depth issue. This is a recruiting issue.

Thread title is "Time for other players to step up."

that assumes they are capable of "Stepping up."

Yes, some players show improvement from year to year. But, at a certain point, you are what you are. And I'm sorry, but I just don't see any of the Gopher players showing enough improvement this year to matter.

Maybe next year, IF the FR show improvement, it could become a more balanced team. But, if Oturu leaves for the NBA, then it's back to the drawing board with no inside game.

The lack of depth is a recruiting issue. It falls on Pitino to balance the roster with viable game contributors. We get nothing from the bench. When Carr gets fatigued no help or when Gabe and Willis go cold no help, or Daniel gets tired no help. Even if Coffey would have stayed we still would have had a depth issue. This is a recruiting issue.
With Coffey and curry it would have balanced out our classes - a couple of mature upperclassmen that would be able to grind out a game like last night. It’s almost like we started over this year and next year we will have an experienced mature team that will have gone through the rigors of a big ten schedule.

We would have a much more mature team next year if the bench played more consistently.
We have a chance to be better next year if Oturu stays. If he leaves then we need Curry to fill his shoes. How likely is it Curry has his best season as a Gopher?
We’d need a major big man transfer to replace Oturu with Freeman chained to the bench this season. Demir and Hurt will be gone. Who is going to defend down low?

Thread title is "Time for other players to step up."

that assumes they are capable of "Stepping up."

Yes, some players show improvement from year to year. But, at a certain point, you are what you are. And I'm sorry, but I just don't see any of the Gopher players showing enough improvement this year to matter.

Maybe next year, IF the FR show improvement, it could become a more balanced team. But, if Oturu leaves for the NBA, then it's back to the drawing board with no inside game.
Jeff Hagen sure stepped up and I'm not sure he had near the raw talent that Freeman does. Capability is there, are the intangibles

With Coffey and curry it would have balanced out our classes - a couple of mature upperclassmen that would be able to grind out a game like last night. It’s almost like we started over this year and next year we will have an experienced mature team that will have gone through the rigors of a big ten schedule.
Between injuries, transfer opportunities, and the lure of the professional basketball no coach should ever count on having every player healthy for four straight years. I'm not saying Pitino did (cause I'm sure he's smart enough to know better), but fans of every team in the B1G could play the what if game regarding injuries/transfers/early NBA departures.

I mean, I hate Iowa as much as anyone, and I'll painfully admit they look pretty good right now. But how good would they be with Isaiah Moss, Bohannon, and a fully healthy CJ Fredrick?

Heck, Rutgers lost arguably their best player from last season and are having one of their best seasons in a long time.

Between injuries, transfer opportunities, and the lure of the professional basketball no coach should ever count on having every player healthy for four straight years. I'm not saying Pitino did (cause I'm sure he's smart enough to know better), but fans of every team in the B1G could play the what if game regarding injuries/transfers/early NBA departures.

I mean, I hate Iowa as much as anyone, and I'll painfully admit they look pretty good right now. But how good would they be with Isaiah Moss, Bohannon, and a fully healthy CJ Fredrick?
Don’t forget Tyler Cook and Jack Nunge.

Heck, Rutgers lost arguably their best player from last season and are having one of their best seasons in a long time.
We had the lost year of injuries, dismissals, etc. Rutgers played a lot of young players last year and took their lumps, it’s paying off this year. - the issue with pitino is he could have played everyone this year and took took what came with it. We have a young team , but just good enough to be relevant . Pitino has decided to play a limited bench at the expense of not getting more experience for them - kind of a catch-22 - do you play everyone for the future or tighten the rotation and hope that there are no situations that pop up.

Top Bottom