Tim Miles

Blackhammer

Reaction score
The new coack at Nebraska. Just watched his press conference and you have to love his personality. I'm betting he does well.

The new coack at Nebraska. Just watched his press conference and you have to love his personality. I'm betting he does well.

Very surprised he took the job, but he will do as well as anyone there. I guess that eliminates him from being Tubby's successor. Pretty rare to swap jobs in the same conference. It is a nice fit, though. His base is west/midwest and he has succeeded everywhere he has been. And he has a practice facility!

I hope they gave him a long term contract with a big buy out. It is going to be hard to turn that program around in anything less than 5 years even in basketball. Next couple of years are going to be tough, OSU, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa are going to be better for at least two maybe three more years no matter what happens at Nebraska..

I hope they gave him a long term contract with a big buy out. It is going to be hard to turn that program around in anything less than 5 years even in basketball.
Word is a 7 year contract @ $1.4 mil/year.

Feel bad for Colton Iverson - never got a chance to play one game for the guy.

Miles is a super coach, but he's not superhuman. Nebraska is a tough proposition, and it may take a bit of time to climb up the Big Ten. That said, Tim is the man for the job. I tell you what - we know that there are players like Ben Woodside and Nate Wolters out there, right under our noses, waiting to be discovered and developed. Miles will find some of them.

Reading the comments on the hire from Nebraska fans on the ESPN boards is hilarious. Many of them don't seem to realize that their basketball program is a joke. Many of them honestly thought they were going to poach a sitting BCS coach. Building a practice facility (and offering a bottom-third Big Ten salary) doesn't automatically make one of the worst BCS jobs desirable. Miles is a very good coach and will turn this into a desirable job by the time he's done. They don't realize how lucky they are to have him. The really funny thing is that the CSU squad he built for this season would drill the Fuskers. And they will likely be even better next year.

I hope they gave him a long term contract with a big buy out. It is going to be hard to turn that program around in anything less than 5 years even in basketball. Next couple of years are going to be tough, OSU, MSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa are going to be better for at least two maybe three more years no matter what happens at Nebraska..

5 years was all it took to turn Colorado State around from a team that went 7-25 (0-16) in his first season to a team that finished 20-12 (8-6) in year 5 capped off by a trip to the NCAA tournament. And that was against the 4th-toughest schedule in the country.

Miles WILL turn around the Huskers. I have no doubts about that. He is the perfect man for that job. I just wish he would've waited for this job to open up, because now I might just have to become a Huskers fan.

He is a good follow on twitter. Lots of personality and doesn't take himself so seriously. There are some funny CSU commercials and out-takes if you have some time to spare on youtube. He comes across as a guy that would be fun to play for.

He is a good follow on twitter. Lots of personality and doesn't take himself so seriously. There are some funny CSU commercials and out-takes if you have some time to spare on youtube. He comes across as a guy that would be fun to play for.

As I've mentioned here before, I don't personally know Tim Miles, but we share some mutual friends (he and my brother are the same age and were conference foes in HS) and I can confidently say that he is legitimately one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. He is funny and engaged, and probably the best thing about him (coach-wise) is that he is humble and appreciative of the opportunities he's been given. He worked his way from the ground up (a la Jerry Kill) to a BCS job, is cognizant of that fact, and never lets himself forget it. This is in stark contrast to certain coaches who have an arrogant attitude because they've been handed a lot of opportunities and everything came pretty easy to them. His style and attitude are a perfect fit for this part of the country and it seems his destiny was to eventually coach a major D-I school in this area. I know he'll do well now that he's been given the chance.

As I've mentioned here before, I don't personally know Tim Miles, but we share some mutual friends (he and my brother are the same age and were conference foes in HS) and I can confidently say that he is legitimately one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. He is funny and engaged, and probably the best thing about him (coach-wise) is that he is humble and appreciative of the opportunities he's been given. He worked his way from the ground up (a la Jerry Kill) to a BCS job, is cognizant of that fact, and never lets himself forget it. This is in stark contrast to certain coaches who have an arrogant attitude because they've been handed a lot of opportunities and everything came pretty easy to them. His style and attitude are a perfect fit for this part of the country and it seems his destiny was to eventually coach a major D-I school in this area. I know he'll do well now that he's been given the chance.

Most coaches work their way up before becoming a HC at a BCS type school. It's rare for a guy like Roy Williams to go from assistant to HC at a blue blood. Tubby was a HC at Tulsa first, then had his first BCS job at Georgia, for example. Miles started even lower than a school like Tulsa (similar to how Kill started as you point out) but it's a different formula. A guy like Tubby/Danny Manning went the assistant route at major schools before becoming HC at Tulsa, where as guys like Miles/Bo Ryan went HC at very small schools. Both formulas can work.

Go Gophers!!

Most coaches work their way up before becoming a HC at a BCS type school.

Obviously, yes, but how many coaches do you know (football or basketball) whose first HC job was at an NAIA Division II school (at age 29, nonetheless) and ended up the HC at a BCS school only 16 years later? That's a pretty steep jump in a relatively short amount of time.

dpodoll68, I'm hurt. That NAIA Division II conference produced a 3rd round draft choice of the Bulls and myself one year. Seriously, I'm a big Tim Miles fan. Always hoping he would be our coach some day. Until you posted it sometime ago I always assumed he was from the other Dakota.

not many soft programs in big ten will be super tough to get into the middle of pack, which programs in the big ten do you think the cornhuskers are going to surpass? Nebraska kinda like Penn st job. Iowa just had a very nice recruiting class. Not much room for upward mobility in big ten .

He worked his way from the ground up (a la Jerry Kill) to a BCS job, is cognizant of that fact, and never lets himself forget it.
That is a great comparison, and one of the big reasons why I was hoping Miles wouldn't leave CSU until the Gophers come calling. Both are guys who once they get in your living room, they've got you hooked.

not many soft programs in big ten will be super tough to get into the middle of pack, which programs in the big ten do you think the cornhuskers are going to surpass? Nebraska kinda like Penn st job. Iowa just had a very nice recruiting class. Not much room for upward mobility in big ten .

Well considering they are in last place, there had better be some upward mobility for the Huskers sake. The improvement will not be immediate. They may be as bad next year as they were this year...or worse. But I could see them steal a few games they weren't supposed to win too (like last year's Indiana game). Eventually, I can definitely see them pass teams like Northwestern, Iowa, Purdue, etc. If Tubby doesn't pick it up, they may pass us up too.

dpodoll68, I'm hurt. That NAIA Division II conference produced a 3rd round draft choice of the Bulls and myself one year. Seriously, I'm a big Tim Miles fan. Always hoping he would be our coach some day. Until you posted it sometime ago I always assumed he was from the other Dakota.

Here's hoping Miles does well at Nebraska (except for a few games a year). I'm a huge Miles fan and yes, I was hoping he would be the next coach of the Gophers. I interviewed him at least a dozen times over the course of two years when he was the coach at Southwest State down in Marshall (or whatever they're calling it now), along with one or two beers on occasion. Great, great guy, high energy, employs a fun brand of basketball to watch.

Good luck, Tim!!!!

Minnesconsin fan said:
Mac Irvin Fire is playing at the HP EYBL event this weekend--do you suppose we have them all making unofficial visits to our campus? Would hate to see them spend the whole weekend in Eagan instead of checking out the U.

One of Tim Miles assistants(Coleman) was the head coach of the Mac Irvin Fire from 2005-2011 which is why they all visited there. Smart move by Miles to hire an assistant with deep ties in the Chicago AAU scene.

Nebraska hasn't been in the mix for recruiting Minnesota basketball athletes -- that's about to change. With Miles in place, Nebraska will have a shot at Minnesota athletes -- he has name recognition in the State (seems like he's getting interviewed on a Minneapolis sports-talk radio show once every couple of weeks).

If Miles is successful in improving Cornhusker hoops, will dpodoll take credit (hometowns separated by 60 miles)?

Top Bottom