Tim McCormick gives his rankings of Big Ten coaches (Bottom Four: Collins, Pitino, Chambers and Underwood)

I tend to think the x's and o's, player development, motivation, etc. parts of coaching are largely the same for most coaches.

Coaches separate themselves with recruiting.

In my book, Izzo is the best and everyone else kind of the same.

I tend to think the x's and o's, player development, motivation, etc. parts of coaching are largely the same for most coaches.

Coaches separate themselves with recruiting.

In my book, Izzo is the best and everyone else kind of the same.
And you would be right, the part of most coaches. That is why most are not great. When you go to practices of coaches that never win anything there is a huge difference between those and the ones that do, especially the ones who win huge without blue blood recruits. Being a great teacher is a very rare gift. You leave the practice of a gifted teacher and your energized and changed from the experience. At a golf tournament last year Jerry West was sharing a story of having recently attended a practice of a very successful coach he had followed and said it was the best example of great teaching he ever saw ! It makes a huge difference. Also, in recruiting . unless your a blue blood the art will be in the evaluation of how players you get will fit, that is also a great gift, as well as a great way of communicating with kids,parents, coaches. Some people are simply more intelligent, more skilled than others. Every profession, same thing. Heart surgeons, all doctors, dentists, artists, golfers, pilots. Greatness is attained by few.

If ranking them in tiers
Tier 1:
Izzo

Tier 2:
Painter
Underwood
Turgeon
Hoiberg

Tier 3:
Holtmann
Gard
Peikell
McCaffery
Miller

Tier 4:
Pitino
Collins
Chambers
Howard (too early to have him any higher)
Like most people have been saying it's really hard to rank the ones other than the top guys. Underwood, howard, miller, piekell, Hoiberg and chambers havent even won an ncaa game as a big ten coach. Obviously, on a couple of those guys they havent been around too long, but none of those guys have proven anything yet! Pitino and collins have won 1 ncaa game. Turgeon has won 4 ncaa games in 9 years at maryland. Mccaffery with his longevity has done decent job! That leaves holtmann, gard, painter, and izzo. A pretty solid group of 4 guys right there. People may disagree, but overall some good coaches, but after 4 guys hard to pick the rest.

The ACC has more great coaches, HALL OF FAME coaches and championships. Hard to say at the bottom as so many coaches in both conference have never won a thing.
I see the HOF list as: Jim Boeheim, and eventually Tony Bennett (just needs a bit more time racking up wins), at this point that's it, not that impressive.

Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski should be disqualified simply based on cheating. How much of their resumes were gotten through cheating? That behavior should not be rewarded.

Let’s rank coaches by the number of B1G MBB coach of the year awards!

1: Matt Painter (4)
2: Tom Izzo (3)
Tied 3
Pitino (1)
Gard
Holtmann
6: Turgeon (1 co-coach of the year)
Tied 7
The field

I see the HOF list as: Jim Boeheim, and eventually Tony Bennett (just needs a bit more time racking up wins), at this point that's it, not that impressive.

Roy Williams and Mike Krzyzewski should be disqualified simply based on cheating. How much of their resumes were gotten through cheating? That behavior should not be rewarded.
Exactly so far B1G has smelt very rosey in the scandal era. Best conference with the best coaches all without cheating the system!

Like most people have been saying it's really hard to rank the ones other than the top guys. Underwood, howard, miller, piekell, Hoiberg and chambers havent even won an ncaa game as a big ten coach. Obviously, on a couple of those guys they havent been around too long, but none of those guys have proven anything yet! Pitino and collins have won 1 ncaa game. Turgeon has won 4 ncaa games in 9 years at maryland. Mccaffery with his longevity has done decent job! That leaves holtmann, gard, painter, and izzo. A pretty solid group of 4 guys right there. People may disagree, but overall some good coaches, but after 4 guys hard to pick the rest.
I'm basing Hoiberg/Underwood on their total resume, not just B1G. I agree with your overall point though. To me, the tier 3 guys are either too new (Holtman/Pekiell/Miller) or have been just OK. (Fran and Gard.)

Exactly so far B1G has smelt very rosey in the scandal era. Best conference with the best coaches all without cheating the system!
Did the scandal era start when you decided. We had scandal, Indiana had scandal, having criminals on your team is scandal, Izzo has had a ton of kids that are problems. No argument from me about Williams and K being slime. Louisville had slime in Pitino but they got rid of that and hired a terrific coach. Besides that he got dominated by Bennett. Nationally, recruits see the ACC as having way better coaches. Who in the big 10 outside of Izzo can get his program to be in the top 10 , get to final 4's, win it ? I would say Gard has the best chance. Who can be above .500 in the conference for 6 out of 7 years or so. Painter seems capable. I think Chris Mack will do huge things at LOUISVILLE. Conference coach of the year awards can be achieved by seasons you were the reason that your sucked followed by just a good year. Who wins the conference, who gets to the final 4, who wins a title, who wins national coach of the year multiple times . that award dwarfs a conference coach of the year. Oh well, it is all opinion and nationally the ACC will have 4 active coaches as hall of famers. Bennett is a lock. Look at his bio. Curious as to what coaches fans here see as hall of fame coaches that are now in the Big 10. One of the ways to get there is to knock of those programs that cut corners, knock off MSU.

I'm basing Hoiberg/Underwood on their total resume, not just B1G. I agree with your overall point though. To me, the tier 3 guys are either too new (Holtman/Pekiell/Miller) or have been just OK. (Fran and Gard.)
Interesting that you have GARD as just ok. Fastest to 59 wins and has a conference title.

Interesting that you have GARD as just ok. Fastest to 59 wins and has a conference title.
Fair or not, he's compared to who came before him. He kept the car on the road so far. I reckon around February 1st of this year he wasn't so beloved in Badger Nation when it looked like 2 missed NCAA's in 3 years.

Did you think Bret Bielema was a great coach?

Yeah I do believe underwood and hoiberg will be good coaches in the big ten, but underwood to me is unproven still. In 4 seasons in p6 conferences he is like 8 games over .500 and 9 games under in conference.

Fair or not, he's compared to who came before him. He kept the car on the road so far. I reckon around February 1st of this year he wasn't so beloved in Badger Nation when it looked like 2 missed NCAA's in 3 years.

I have many badger relatives who were done with Gard around that February time haha. Feeling a lot better after the season though.

Point being I still think Gard has work to do to solidify himself as a consistent winner.

Did not think we were doing football but he did pretty damn well. I would not have called him great and he had 7 years . When Gard has 7 he will have done something more significant than Bielema. Do you think he was great ? Would you call Fleck great if he does what Bret did in 7 years ? There was not a single power player involved at UW that wanted Gard out. Alvarez, Strong, Dave Nicholas, Richter, Ryan and Bennett all stood by him. Hell Bennett promised Barry he was not only the right choice but believed in him even more, convinced he would win multiple conference titles and get them back to the final 4. 59 wins in conference, fastest in history. There were disgruntled fans that wanted Tony Bennett and that was never going to happen. We will have fans on here that want Fleck gone if he loses 4 games this year ! I have friends that will be yelling for his head if that happens. Gard won the conference quickly in his career and just now has it cranked up.

ACC rankings:

1) Bennett

2) K. he did it with solid players for a long time before succumbing to 1&done.

3) Hamilton. Always has good defensive teams.

4) Mack. Liked his X teams. Think he will be good for a long time.

5) Boeheim. I respect him for sticking with his preferred defense and recruiting to it. I think zone generally sucks, but his is about as good as you can find.

6) Brey. Think they consistently perform at a higher level than they recruit.

7) Roy. Think he sucks as a coach but he gets it to work.

8-15: not even completely sure who these are. Pitt? New guy at Wake? Larranaga? Brownell? GaTech guy? BC guy? VaTech guy? NCSt (Keatts?). While I understand trying to compete with those old fogies is tough, none of these standout in any way.

Agree with most of this. Roy won with great players. Capel at Pitt too soon to tell but recruiting strong, Forbes at Wake damn good hire.BC-failure corona virus save ! Ga, tech better record than our guy. Va. tech, too soon. Brownell, better record than the bottom 5 in the Big 10. Larranaga, has won the ACC is above .500 in the ACC, took mason to the final 4, dwarfs more than half the guys in the Big 10. The Big 10 has several guys who over a long time simply have been terrible. Keatts, winning record. Side by side the ACC has far more accomplished and those poor teams at the bottom have to play the top heavy conference of nationally elite programs. Both conferences lost a great coach in the recent past. Wake is the one program that had the boosters pay up to change coaches even during Covid.

Trying to put them together:

1) Bennett
2) K
3) Izzo
4) Gard
5) Hamilton
6) Painter
7) Pikiell
8) Holtman
9) Mack
10) Boeheim
11) Brey
12) Chambers
13) Turgeon
14) Roy

The rest...

Trying to put them together:

1) Bennett
2) K
3) Izzo
4) Gard
5) Hamilton
6) Painter
7) Pikiell
8) Holtman
9) Mack
10) Boeheim
11) Brey
12) Chambers
13) Turgeon
14) Roy

The rest...

Roy can coach imo. His transition and offenses have been phenomenal. I take him over most on that list. K is also now overrated. I think as far as just best basketball guys I go Bennet, Izzo, Mack, Painter, Hamilton, Gard. Just depends what you value I guess.

Agree with most of this. Roy won with great players. Capel at Pitt too soon to tell but recruiting strong, Forbes at Wake damn good hire.BC-failure corona virus save ! Ga, tech better record than our guy. Va. tech, too soon. Brownell, better record than the bottom 5 in the Big 10. Larranaga, has won the ACC is above .500 in the ACC, took mason to the final 4, dwarfs more than half the guys in the Big 10. The Big 10 has several guys who over a long time simply have been terrible. Keatts, winning record. Side by side the ACC has far more accomplished and those poor teams at the bottom have to play the top heavy conference of nationally elite programs. Both conferences lost a great coach in the recent past. Wake is the one program that had the boosters pay up to change coaches even during Covid.
Thought Forbes was a cheater?

This article by McCormick was in response to Detroit News recent rankings of the B1G coaches that can be found here: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...tens-head-mens-basketball-coaches/3179089001/

It's one of those annoying click through the slide show rankings, so I'll spare you that and let you know they ranked Howard 12th (McCormick the Michigan guy ranks him 5th on his own list...can we knock off the idea that Minnesotan's are "homers"?) and Pitino is ranked 13th. Bizarrely, Chambers is ranked 14th which I can't get behind at all. He has more conference wins than Pitino over the last 5 years at a much tougher job.

There's clearly a bottom tier of B1G coaches that includes Pitino and Collins though Collins has at least done something at Northwestern that no other coach has done. The question is how big that bottom tier is? Do you include Chambers in that group? What about Pikiell who has the toughest/second toughest job in the conference but has impressed recently? Does Howard belong in this tier simply due to lack of resume? I personally wouldn't rate Howard in a list like this and end up with only Pitino and Collins at the bottom with Chambers and Pikiell in a tier of their own just above them.

I have to say, his conference championship last year was wizardry.

This article by McCormick was in response to Detroit News recent rankings of the B1G coaches that can be found here: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...tens-head-mens-basketball-coaches/3179089001/

It's one of those annoying click through the slide show rankings, so I'll spare you that and let you know they ranked Howard 12th (McCormick the Michigan guy ranks him 5th on his own list...can we knock off the idea that Minnesotan's are "homers"?) and Pitino is ranked 13th. Bizarrely, Chambers is ranked 14th which I can't get behind at all. He has more conference wins than Pitino over the last 5 years at a much tougher job.

There's clearly a bottom tier of B1G coaches that includes Pitino and Collins though Collins has at least done something at Northwestern that no other coach has done. The question is how big that bottom tier is? Do you include Chambers in that group? What about Pikiell who has the toughest/second toughest job in the conference but has impressed recently? Does Howard belong in this tier simply due to lack of resume? I personally wouldn't rate Howard in a list like this and end up with only Pitino and Collins at the bottom with Chambers and Pikiell in a tier of their own just above them.
Good observations. Both Collins and Pitino have things in both their plus and minus columns. Collins should almost end up in the CBB hall of fame for getting the Cats to the Tournament. But right now his program is in the deep mud. Pitino did win a coach-of-the-year award, so he's not without accomplishment. But he's got the lowest conference winning percentage in program history since one-and-done George Hanson.

Did the scandal era start when you decided. We had scandal, Indiana had scandal, having criminals on your team is scandal, Izzo has had a ton of kids that are problems. No argument from me about Williams and K being slime. Louisville had slime in Pitino but they got rid of that and hired a terrific coach. Besides that he got dominated by Bennett. Nationally, recruits see the ACC as having way better coaches. Who in the big 10 outside of Izzo can get his program to be in the top 10 , get to final 4's, win it ? I would say Gard has the best chance. Who can be above .500 in the conference for 6 out of 7 years or so. Painter seems capable. I think Chris Mack will do huge things at LOUISVILLE. Conference coach of the year awards can be achieved by seasons you were the reason that your sucked followed by just a good year. Who wins the conference, who gets to the final 4, who wins a title, who wins national coach of the year multiple times . that award dwarfs a conference coach of the year. Oh well, it is all opinion and nationally the ACC will have 4 active coaches as hall of famers. Bennett is a lock. Look at his bio. Curious as to what coaches fans here see as hall of fame coaches that are now in the Big 10. One of the ways to get there is to knock of those programs that cut corners, knock off MSU.
I’d love to see the exactly which schools cheat and which schools don’t. I’d imagine a few of your beloved crystal clean characters aren’t smelling as rosy as you portray them to be. The unfortunate truth is if you aren’t cheating you probably aren’t winning these days.

Thought Forbes was a cheater?
Could not have been hired here. Easy research to see what he did. Some people believe if you pay the penalty for your crime you get a 2nd chance. The can can flat out coach. Like Pearl, he served his penalty but the guy sure can coach. Not a fan but that does not cloud my ability to see what he teaches.

Could not have been hired here. Easy research to see what he did. Some people believe if you pay the penalty for your crime you get a 2nd chance. The can can flat out coach. Like Pearl, he served his penalty but the guy sure can coach. Not a fan but that does not cloud my ability to see what he teaches.
Damn good hire!!!!!

Could not have been hired here.

FRAUD!!!!!!

I’d love to see the exactly which schools cheat and which schools don’t. I’d imagine a few of your beloved crystal clean characters aren’t smelling as rosy as you portray them to be. The unfortunate truth is if you aren’t cheating you probably aren’t winning these days.
Go for it. Show where UVA or UW or Nova OR the Gophers cheated. Those are the programs i follow, show where Cronin cheated at UCLA CHEATED. Just because some cheat does not mean everyone cheats.

Fair enough I’ve bee very vocal on here about him being a good coach and teacher. I just remember getting that response back. I appreciate your clarification

Fair enough I’ve bee very vocal on here about him being a good coach and teacher. I just remember getting that response back. I appreciate your clarification
Remember you being the first person i saw on here that recognized how good he has been. His show cause was more about not cooperating with investigators.

What about Leonard Hamilton? Awfully good resume and he's the best looking 70-something year old out there.

Didn't Boeheim get dinged for something not too many years ago? I feel like I remember Cuse having to vacate like 100 wins but I could be misremembering that. If Williams and K are disqualified (though K has never been caught for this to my knowledge), I don't see how Boeheim, who lost 100 wins due to ineligible players isn't the same victim to your moral code

Last edited:

Did not think we were doing football but he did pretty damn well. I would not have called him great and he had 7 years . When Gard has 7 he will have done something more significant than Bielema. Do you think he was great ? Would you call Fleck great if he does what Bret did in 7 years ? There was not a single power player involved at UW that wanted Gard out. Alvarez, Strong, Dave Nicholas, Richter, Ryan and Bennett all stood by him. Hell Bennett promised Barry he was not only the right choice but believed in him even more, convinced he would win multiple conference titles and get them back to the final 4. 59 wins in conference, fastest in history. There were disgruntled fans that wanted Tony Bennett and that was never going to happen. We will have fans on here that want Fleck gone if he loses 4 games this year ! I have friends that will be yelling for his head if that happens. Gard won the conference quickly in his career and just now has it cranked up.
Beilema was not a good coach. His time at Arkansas exposed that. Gard is in a similar situation. If he goes Tom Izzo and takes it to the next level or at least maintains it for a significant period of time, OK. Not there yet.

Fleck did not inherit the program that Bret did, so it's not a valid comparison.

Top Bottom