Tim Davis new OL coach

Thats a wonderful get for Brewster. I'm just wondering how he got a guy out of 'Bama right now. #1 team in the nation at a football crazy school

I'm guessing it's Davis' close personal friendship with Sid Hartman that drew him to Minnesota!

nadinebabu

Because I'd hire him just for that! :D

nice......that is a mustache that means business. no messing around with that stache'

Great position coaches are an essential part of any outstanding football program. Take a look at the team pages for the elite programs such as Florida, USC and tOSU. Look at their resume's and pedegree. If Coach Brewster wants to elevate our program to the "Rose Bowl" level, he, and the athletic department need to strive to bring in the best-of-the-best. The AD has shown he is supporting our quest to become a nationally relevant program (kudos to Maturi). It's great to see Coach Brewster is taking advantage of that support.
Like a great stadium, the program won't rise overnight. Design it well, build a strong foundation, carefully construct it with quality materials, fine tune the details, then you are set for a very successful long run.
Then...Cash in on all teams who enter "the Bank"!
Rose Bowl 2010-2011

Huge get! This is helping life me out of my post-Iowa funk.

Sounds Great . . . but

How does stuff like this get leaked out all the time? I guess I don't mind I mean I like knowing asap with kind of stuff as well but I always wonder if it leaked on purpose or if there is a hole in the wall at the AD??

Anyway sounds like a great hire for the brew crew!

Sounds like a great hire, and almost the total opposite of the previous OL coach who was at Wisconsin-Whitewater or someplace similar before coming to Minnesota.

My only concern is, has Davis ever coached an Oline for the spread? They didn't run it at USC or Alabama, and they certainly didn't run it in the NFL. If this guy was good enough Saban (who has the cash to hire the best of the best), then he should be an upgrade here.

How does stuff like this get leaked out all the time? I guess I don't mind I mean I like knowing asap with kind of stuff as well but I always wonder if it leaked on purpose or if there is a hole in the wall at the AD??

Anyway sounds like a great hire for the brew crew!

there is a media source (call it a "leak" if you like) in practically every major college & pro front office. the drill basically goes like this:

they tell the media, the media hypes the news, the fans of the team get excited, the fans of the team in question go out and read the newspaper and/or website, the fans of the team get even more excited about their beloved team, start the cycle all over again....

Sounds like a great hire, and almost the total opposite of the previous OL coach who was at Wisconsin-Whitewater or someplace similar before coming to Minnesota.

My only concern is, has Davis ever coached an Oline for the spread? They didn't run it at USC or Alabama, and they certainly didn't run it in the NFL. If this guy was good enough Saban (who has the cash to hire the best of the best), then he should be an upgrade here.

He is currently at Alabama, but is not coaching the OL there. He is in charge of player development or something.

But to answer your question, no. He coached the OL at USC and at Wisconsin when they had Dayne.

When did Brewster & Meyer first talk?

This had to be in the pipeline for a while. You don't announce a replacement 8 hours after a "resignation" without knowing it will happen beforehand.

Good hire and now we need Norm Chow as Offensive Coordinator!

Wow, based on this thread I guess I never realized the sexual side effects of hiring a good coach!!!:p

In any case, this is obviously a major upgrade. Like other posters have noted, anytime you can hire a coach with a resume that includes stays at places like Alabama and USC, it's a good thing.

Something tells me the offensive line will be improving quite a bit here over the next couple of years! :)

This should help recruiting offensive linemen. There are many reasons recruits choose a school, but the talented ones want to improve their skills and have a shot at the NFL. Good position coaches are a key to recruiting those players. I believe we lost Laurinaitis to Ohio State because he felt they had better linebacker coaching. Maybe our chances to land Lewan and Henderson just went up.

Davis is Great

as a big USC fan, i can tell you that this guy is great. He brings a nastiness to the OL. "Mass kicks ass" was his mantra, and the sc olines of the early carroll years were road graders. they are more finesse now under former packer line coach Pat Ruel, and many fans miss the attitude that Davis brought. ruel is more of a teacher/technician. Davis is a bit of a screamer, but he instills an asskicking attitude.

He is a great get. It will be interesting to see how it is adapted to the spread, but one thing should be certain...his kids will play w/ intensity.

Hopefully Davis is the kind of guy who can come up with some schemes using our current linemen that will maximize what they do well... clearly we have no idea what it is that the do well, but maybe somebody with a resume like his can find it and exploit it by the bowl game.

Also, Shooter mentioned Davis today too...

Phil Meyer, who resigned Monday as Gophers offensive line coach, turns 52 today. Don't be surprised if former Southern California and current Alabama assistant Tim Davis succeeds Meyer.

... as much as I hate to admit it, he often seems to have a pulse on these things.

The problem I have with Dunbar's version of the spread is that concentration of strength at the point of attack appears to be a secondary concern. I hope Brewster, with the help of Davis, can convince him that has to change.

Roadgraders! I like it!

It will be interesting to see how Dunbar adapts to Davis style. Davis sounds like the same mold as Brewster. Play hard and take no prisoners. Dunbar isn't even on the same planet as those two. Maybe Davis was promised the OC gig after Dunbar gets squished.

Yeah. Davis starts Monday. Hope he can help the o-line for the bowl game and get Lewan in here for next year and Henderson for 2010.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom