Tim Brewster Press Conference Notes, 9-21-10

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
These are the notes from the Tim Brewster press conference following the Gophers' loss to USC, and preparing for Northern Illinois...

-He thought the Gophers did a lot of things well vs. USC, and that there were a few plays that turned the game.

-Empathized with Dennis Green, in that we let em off the hook, and that they are who we thought they were, and that he said the Gophers kind of did the same thing (See Here: Dennis Green's Meltdown)

-Said that the team believed they were going to win the game, and played well, even though a loss is a loss. Added that it's no or more less of a loss than South Dakota, but it was disappointing in a different way

-Mentioned that the crowd was great on Saturday, and that in general it was a great college football Saturday

-Very excited to play on Saturday night at TCF Bank Stadium, and added that he believes that 7:00 games are the most exciting time to play. Brought up the excitement of last year's game vs. Michigan State

-Asked for thoughts and prayers for Northern Illinois head coach Jerry Kill, who went to the hospital for dehydration last week

-Compared Northern Illinois' defense to Middle Tennessee, and said they are a very solid, sound football team that has a history of defeating BCS teams. Mentioned they beat Purdue last year

-No changes on the depth chart on either offense or defense

-There are some considerations in regards to potentially changing some things up at the kicker position, but nothing for this week

-On playing USC again this year, he said there is no negative to playing the game again next year, and is excited for it. Talked about the number of recruits who were at the game last week

-He was pleased with the play of the defense last week, adding that Theret being in there helped, and also credited James Manuel for his play

-On Brock Vereen's first start, he said there were some things that "welcomed him to Big Ten football", and that it was a thrill for him to start against USC, as he grew up in southern California watching the Trojans

-On what Theret brings to the team, Brewster said leadership is the most important, as he's been through all the battles, and that he's a "No-Flinch Guy"

-On Kim Royston, Brewster said that he's going to be in full pads for practice on Tuesday, and that he's "champing at the bit to play." They want to make sure that the last step to getting back to playing in a game is going to be made at the right time. Again credited James Manuel for his play, and that he's going to be a great football player

-On Gray being more comfortable at receiver, Brewster said that he wasn't sure there was a better athlete on the field for either than him. He is improving on a daily basis at receiver while getting his work in at quarterback. Said they are asking a lot of him, but that he's able to do it. Credited him with doing a lot of things away from the ball, including away from the ball blocking

-On whether he's improving as a quarterback, Brewster said he's much further along in his opinion, and that his time at receiver is really going to benefit him, because he's active right now, and that being in game mode will be natural for him in the future

-On USC's pass defense vs. Minnesota's receivers, he said that Minnesota created some match-up problems, and that he was very happy with that

-On Matt Garin's play, Brewster said he's a good football player, and that he's not the biggest guy in the world, especially compared to USC's "giants." Said that Anthony Jacobs played well against USC, but that Jacobs is 300 points. Matt also did some things well in the game

-On Ellestad, Brewster said that "Eric Ellestad has been to every Gopher football game since he was five years old...five years old." Because of that, Brewster believes that's putting an unbelievable amount of pressure on him, and that he needs to find a way to get him to relax during the games

-He also points out that it's easy to kick in the practice facility, but it's much tougher under the lights when there's 50,000 people in the building

-With a more mobile quarterback this week, Brewster said they'll change some things on offense, and base them on making adjustments of how they played against South Dakota

-They need to run the football more and better, particularly on first down

-Duane Bennett was not 100% against USC with his sprained ankle, but that he should be back to 100% vs. Northern Illinois. Kirkwood will continue to get carries, and Brewster was very impressed by what he did vs. USC.

-Connor Cosgrove went home last night, and that he'll continue his chemo from home. It's a two-year process, but that it's amazing how much support everyone's giving him. When asked about what his symptoms are, Brewster said that he wasn't feeling well, and that he was sweating at night for about the past two weeks. He said most people have about 12,000 white blood cells in the body, and that Connor had 800 at the time. They began a very aggressive form of chemo on him at that point. He talked about how fired up Cosgrove was despite the aggressive chemo

-Then told the story of Nicholas, who's three years old and was just down the hallway from Cosgrove, and has a much more aggressive form of cancer, and how excited he was to meet Coach Brew, and that he was wearing his Gopher football helmet, shoulder pads, and jersey waiting for him when he got there the other day, noting that it puts everything in perspective in life

-Then brought up how much Coach Kill is going through, and Cosgrove, and Mike D'Antonio and other health issues people are having, noting that he's not going through anything compared to these other people

-Closed the presser by nothing that with all the other issues and distractions going on with the team, that he told the team to focus on football and just try and have fun this week

Say what you will about Brewster's coaching skills, he really strikes me as a kind-hearted person and a stand-up guy.

Say what you will about Brewster's coaching skills, he really strikes me as a kind-hearted person and a stand-up guy.

I think that is the consensus of all the gopher fans on this board. However, being kind hearted does not win football games, which he was hired to do. I do not believe he can do it and think it is time for him to be replaced. I wish Brewster nothing but the best and hold no grudges against him, but I do think a coaching change is in order.

I think that is the consensus of all the gopher fans on this board. However, being kind hearted does not win football games, which he was hired to do. I do not believe he can do it and think it is time for him to be replaced. I wish Brewster nothing but the best and hold no grudges against him, but I do think a coaching change is in order.

I agree. One thing I have always liked about Brewster is his genuine support for the program and the players and how hard that he works. No one can ever say he didn't give his all for this school, program, and team.

That said, I am not sold on him being able to win games, he has not proven that he can. Definitley need to give him the rest of this season at least, though, and see how the team does. I'd possibly be okay with giving him next year as well (transferring players eligible, his recruits having started a year, Gray at QB, etc.) but if he is fired, I definitley also wish him the best and hope the U will hire someone with the same drive and passion that Brewster had, with maybe a better knowledge of how to be a head football coach.

However, I would rather have Tim Brewster as my head coach than Brad Childress. (Vikings or Gophers)

I agree. One thing I have always liked about Brewster is his genuine support for the program and the players and how hard that he works. No one can ever say he didn't give his all for this school, program, and team.

That said, I am not sold on him being able to win games, he has not proven that he can. Definitley need to give him the rest of this season at least, though, and see how the team does. I'd possibly be okay with giving him next year as well (transferring players eligible, his recruits having started a year, Gray at QB, etc.) but if he is fired, I definitley also wish him the best and hope the U will hire someone with the same drive and passion that Brewster had, with maybe a better knowledge of how to be a head football coach.

I agree with this post wholeheartedly. I hope that he can put it together and start winning. I was impressed with his comment about Ellestad. I think that Brewster understands the frailties of being a college football player, especially a kicker. Again, if he would just start winning.

I completely agree with the recent posts on Brew and his dedication, etc. The one thing that gets short shrift though is that the academics of the program have improved substantially since Brew came on. As a U alum, I am very proud of the players and staff making this a priority as well.

Then told the story of Nicholas, who's three years old and was just down the hallway from Cosgrove, and has a much more aggressive form of cancer, and how excited he was to meet Coach Brew, and that he was wearing his Gopher football helmet, shoulder pads, and jersey waiting for him when he got there the other day, noting that it puts everything in perspective in life

Holy crap! I nearly lost it at work when I read that. The mental picture of that really got to me.

Holy crap! I nearly lost it at work when I read that. The mental picture of that really got to me.

Same for me when I read it yesterday. I just pictured my son being in that same situation and got a little emotional.

Same here. I have 2 sons, 3yrs and 2yrs, and this stuff really breaks me.

This is the best thread I've read in a long time.

I'd like to pretend I avoided the mental image of it being my kid, but I cannot.

I completely agree with the recent posts on Brew and his dedication, etc. The one thing that gets short shrift though is that the academics of the program have improved substantially since Brew came on. As a U alum, I am very proud of the players and staff making this a priority as well.

I'll second that. Well said by all in this thread.

Its too bad that if Brewster can't keep his job as head coach here down the line, we couldn't retain him in some capacity for the next staff as a coordinator. I think he has a future as a head coach somewhere else down the line. Once he gains enough coaching experience, I think he'll make a fine head coach at a smaller school.

I wonder why he didn't say anything about the Stoudermire suspension. Makes me think that Troy's misbehavior happened mid-week this week and not earlier.

I'll second that. Well said by all in this thread.

Its too bad that if Brewster can't keep his job as head coach here down the line, we couldn't retain him in some capacity for the next staff as a coordinator. I think he has a future as a head coach somewhere else down the line. Once he gains enough coaching experience, I think he'll make a fine head coach at a smaller school.

Brewster would be great to keep around as a recruiting coordinator for a possible new head coach as he was under Mack Brown. Brew still is a great recruiter.

Brewster seems to be a kind-hearted person and a stand-up guy. Furthermore, I'm convinced that he is doing his absolute best...there is no reason for him not to do his best. However, his best is far from enough. He selection of assistant coaches leaves much to be desired. Therefore, I believe this mess is due entirely to Mr. Maturi. He didn't fire Mason after the NCAA record setting loss in the bowl game. He hired the former KY BB coach who recruits marginal student athletes and citizens. I believe Mr. Maturi needs to resign to afford this program an opportunity to improve. Mr. Maturi is a nice guy as well. He just isn't an adequate A.D.

Brewster seems to be a kind-hearted person and a stand-up guy. Furthermore, I'm convinced that he is doing his absolute best...there is no reason for him not to do his best. However, his best is far from enough. He selection of assistant coaches leaves much to be desired. Therefore, I believe this mess is due entirely to Mr. Maturi. He didn't fire Mason after the NCAA record setting loss in the bowl game. He hired the former KY BB coach who recruits marginal student athletes and citizens. I believe Mr. Maturi needs to resign to afford this program an opportunity to improve. Mr. Maturi is a nice guy as well. He just isn't an adequate A.D.

Way to critisize a basketball coach whom apparently you know nothing about ... Besides Royce White, who are the "marginal student athletes and citizens" HE recruited? Tubby has a long standing reputation of being one of the few moral, high standard, genuine, college coaches left in the game.

Top Bottom