Tim Brewster Post-Game Press Conference Notes, 9-25-10

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I attended the post-game interview for Tim Brewster following the Gophers' 34-23 loss to Northern Illinois. In general, Brewster looked somewhat beaten-down following the loss (in my opinion), looking somewhat pale, and quite literally like someone who had just finished throwing up before coming out to meet the press. Here's the cliff-notes version of the presser...

-Brewster said that this was obviously a disappointing loss, and that it was clear that the rushing defense was the key factor in the loss today

-Spann's explosiveness was clearly a factor in the loss, and that you won't win many games giving up that amount of yardage by one player

-When asked whether the blocked punt and ensuing touchdown by UNI was a key play in the game, he said that it clearly shifted the momentum in the game, but that he still felt they were in good shape at the half despite the blocked punt

-He made no excuses for the loss; they just didn't execute when they had to. They knew what they had to do and just didn't do it

-Mentioned that it was clearly frustrating to not be able to pick up first downs in a number of short yardage situations, and eluded to the fact that he couldn't believe a few of them were not first downs

-Pointed out that despite the team's 1-3 start, that they are still 0-0 in the Big Ten, and that the team can still go on and have a good season

-He's still pleased with the general effort of the team, and that it would be much more disappointing if he saw less than top effort from the team, but that he's not seeing that

-He mentioned that Spann didn't do anything that was surprising to them or that they didn't prepare for...they just didn't execute on him defensively

-It's clearly deflating when you have opportunities to score touchdowns and have to settle for field goals

-He again pointed out that in order to do that you must convert in short yardage situations

-When asked if it's tough to win when your safety leads the team in tackles, Brewster countered with the point that safeties are part of the run defense in today's game when you have eight men in the box, but also pointed out that they needed to do a better job of the front seven tackling

-When asked about the fans being disappointed with the team's start, Brewster replied that he hopes the fans will appreciate the effort the team is giving, and that they are going out there an playing hard for 60 minutes, but wouldn't be surprised if they are disappointed by the teams record. He also said that he hopes the fans will continue to support the team and take the same mindset that he has, which is that the team is 0-0 in Big Ten play and that anything can happen from here on out

-In a strange series of events, one reporter posed a question for another reporter in the room regarding Brewster's job security, saying that they wouldn't step up to the plate and ask the question themselves, and so he posed the question on their behalf. Brewster replied that it's a long season, and that it's not something that he gets caught up in and that it would be up to the administration to decide things like that. (On a side note, it was one of the most strange and awkward experiences I've encountered in a media setting before, having never seen it happen before.)

-When asked if Brewster feared this three-game losing streak would become a much longer one, as Brewster had both two and three years ago, Brewster said that they just have to get back to work and that they all have to believe that good things are happening that that good things will happen if they continue to work. He also pointed out that this team is still very young on defense and that they continue to learn by the day.

the elephant in the room there must have been really tough to ignore; what a joke journalist-"a friend of a friend wanted me to ask--since we all know the current talent is light years ahead of that under the previous regime, to what factor, other than poor coaching, do you attribute the extreme incompetence and inability of your squad to compete with even the most remedial opponents?"

I didn't want to call out either the journalist who asked the question, nor the journalist(s) who were alleged to not ask it themselves, since I didn't hear anything myself. However, I will point out that the journalist who actually asked the question is a regular at other pressers, whereas I didn't recognize the others at all. All I can speak to is the irregularity of the question, and how taken aback I was. If it had happened to me, I would have had a few words with the journalist had they thrown me under the bus like that.

Having said all that...it was probably a question that everyone was thinking of, whether they were willing to ask it or not.

How is that not a relevant question? honestly.

So they aren't executing on the LOS. Line play needs to step up fast and furious. Which begs the question what happened between last year and this year to facilitate such a precarious drop off in execution?

I didn't want to call out either the journalist who asked the question, nor the journalist(s) who were alleged to not ask it themselves, since I didn't hear anything myself. However, I will point out that the journalist who actually asked the question is a regular at other pressers, whereas I didn't recognize the others at all. All I can speak to is the irregularity of the question, and how taken aback I was. If it had happened to me, I would have had a few words with the journalist had they thrown me under the bus like that.

Having said all that...it was probably a question that everyone was thinking of, whether they were willing to ask it or not.

Good for him. That's one of my biggest pet peeves when I go to things like that, when people don't have the guts to ask tough questions, ones everyone wants to know, and would rather whisper behind Brew's back.

Gopher basketball cannot get here fast enough. At least we can beat the cupcakes and go .500 or better in the B10 under Tubby.

So they aren't executing on the LOS. Line play needs to step up fast and furious. Which begs the question what happened between last year and this year to facilitate such a precarious drop off in execution?

Seriously...do you watch any of the games? The line play is so much better than last year. That isn't saying much but still!

Good for him. That's one of my biggest pet peeves when I go to things like that, when people don't have the guts to ask tough questions, ones everyone wants to know, and would rather whisper behind Brew's back.

I would agree, GL...however, if you want to ask the question, ask the question. By saying that you don't really want to ask the question, but that you somehow will ask it on behalf of someone else because they won't ask the question, you're really no better. You're trying to hide behind someone else and deflect the criticism away from actually ask the question yourself. If you want to ask the question, ask the question, but don't throw someone else under the bus to do it.

What kind of journalist are you if you're scared to ask that question? That's plain embarrassing behavior.

Nice job, Nick. Thanks for hanging in there after a bitterly disappointing game.

BTW did Brewster's house ever sell? If not, "fire-sale" a-coming.

Any explanation as to why when we are losing in the first quater they kill any momentum we have by putting in a different qb and then try to kick a field goal? Our kicker sucks. Stupid move if you ask me to put gray in at that moment when we were driving. That killed the drive right there.

Any explanation as to why when we are losing in the first quater they kill any momentum we have by putting in a different qb and then try to kick a field goal? Our kicker sucks. Stupid move if you ask me to put gray in at that moment when we were driving. That killed the drive right there.

The play was a hand-off to the RB. Your logic is as flawed as Brewster's.

My point was that the play calling was terrible. If you aren't going to use gray to do anything other than hand off then why bother? We got nothing out of it when we needed some points.

My point was that the play calling was terrible. If you aren't going to use gray to do anything other than hand off then why bother? We got nothing out of it when we needed some points.

What was worse was putting Weber at wr on that play. Come on..we saw that stupid play last year do nothing.

The unknown journalists weren't afraid to ask the question, they were just speaking among themselves (as should be their right). The other journalist sitting next to them, raised his hand & said "Yeah these guys here are afraid to ask you about _______". I would have jacked the guy in the face right there in front of everyone. Real d-bag move imo.

What was worse was putting Weber at wr on that play. Come on..we saw that stupid play last year do nothing.

Has his "Wild Gopher" formation ever worked?

Top Bottom