Thumbs up or thumbs down...today is Athan's breakout game for 2023?

46Gophers

Reaction score
Is today the day that we see Athan live up to the flashes of potential that have surfaced on occasion and lead the Maroon & Gold to a victory? Or is today a day where our air game crashes and burns? The optimist in me says thumbs up!

If this is fantasy football then my answer is "yes."

Is today the day that we see Athan live up to the flashes of potential that have surfaced on occasion and lead the Maroon & Gold to a victory? Or is today a day where our air game crashes and burns? The optimist in me says thumbs up!
I say he plays about the same as last week, which was "ok".

I'd love for you to be right; we need it ... But I suspect our running game leads the way yet again today, and that Athan is used as post-2019 Tanner Morgan was: as an "efficient" passing game manager, ideally making no mistakes (no INTs, no fumbles), perhaps throwing for 150-200 yards and one TD as a success "benchmark." Keeps the running lanes open by posing just enough of a passing game threat. And lean heavily on the defense.

The argument in favor of this being a breakout game is that Illinois is pretty shabby on pass defense (assuming you can control DL Newton). If not against Illinois, then against whom? If we are going after Illinois' weakness, we should pass a lot. But I think PJ's innate, genetic conservatism just won't let him go there. We are the slowest starting offense in all of Power 5 football, a truly dubious distinction. Now that Iowa State scored on its opening drive last week, the Gophers are the only team in Power 5 football this season that hasn't scored a point--not a TD or a FG--on the opening drive of any of its games (8 so far). We've had multiple punts and turnovers on opening drives, but nary a point. For some reason, we don't develop the rhythm or QB-receiver coordination that confident passing games usually establish very early in a game. We tend toward the opposite.

Yet we are still 5-3 and I think we have a good chance of bringing home a win today. Go Gophers!

We’ve had a 30+ yard completion in 4 straight games. Like the defense, we’re improving on offense.

Illinois pass defense is not good, so this would be the game...I'll take similar stats as last week, without the INT and maybe another passing TD.

Top Bottom