Thoughts on AFA vs Nicholls State

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I am not trying to diminish AFA's 72-0 victory over Nicholls State, but here are a few things to consider:

Nicholls State was not in the 1-AA top-25 last year and judging by their 3-6 record in 1-AA would probably not have been in the top 50 in 1-AA. Jeff Sagarin put Nicholls State at #176 in his preseason rankings. I would assume that the worst 1-A team (Florida International as an example) would have handed them a loss.

Like AFA, Nicholls State runs the triple option. The AFA defense routinely practices against their own offense - meaning that they practice against one of the 3 best triple-option teams in the nation- did Nicholls State stand a chance?

So while I think there is nothing wrong with seeing AFA as a formidable opponent. And I also agree with the thought that we will be very fortunate to win our 1st game in The Bank, I just don't think we should place undue importance of their 72-0 loss over Nicholls State.

Remember, we beat Temple 62-0 in 2006 and then were beaten by an unranked and mediocre Purdue team the next week in 2006.

I am not trying to diminish AFA's 72-0 victory over Nicholls State, but here are a few things to consider:

Nicholls State was not in the 1-AA top-25 last year and judging by their 3-6 record in 1-AA would probably not have been in the top 50 in 1-AA. Jeff Sagarin put Nicholls State at #176 in his preseason rankings. I would assume that the worst 1-A team (Florida International as an example) would have handed them a loss.

Like AFA, Nicholls State runs the triple option. The AFA defense routinely practices against their own offense - meaning that they practice against one of the 3 best triple-option teams in the nation- did Nicholls State stand a chance?

So while I think there is nothing wrong with seeing AFA as a formidable opponent. And I also agree with the thought that we will be very fortunate to win our 1st game in The Bank, I just don't think we should place undue importance of their 72-0 loss over Nicholls State.

Remember, we beat Temple 62-0 in 2006 and then were beaten by an unranked and mediocre Purdue team the next week in 2006.

We also put 63 points on Purdue that year too.......

My biggest concern will be our own Offense.......

I'm not too confident *WE* could put up 72 points against Nicholls State.......

Our Defense needs to contain AF & hopefully allow our Offense to figure out what works for us best.......

We also put 63 points on Purdue that year too.......

My biggest concern will be our own Offense.......

I'm not too confident *WE* could put up 72 points against Nicholls State.......

Our Defense needs to contain AF & hopefully allow our Offense to figure out what works for us best.......

You're thinking of Indiana.

if the AFA offensive play calling is as tricky as Syracuse, the U could be down 14-0 early in the 1st Q. Let's hope AFA displayed their play book last week. Stallion gave the U trouble.

\ Let's hope AFA displayed their play book last week. Stallion gave the U trouble.

Yes and we adjusted and it didn't do shit after that. I don't doubt that the triple option will give us fits, but it is not a fast scoring offense.

I remember hearing they didn't go into their playbook yet but I can't see them adding too much of what they've done for the last couple years on 1 game.......

Top Bottom