This Will Not Be A Throw-Away Year!

hendo59

Reaction score
I was as bummed as anyone by Trevor's injury. I must admit that I too saw our season ending before it really got rolling when the severity of his injury was confirmed. After reflecting a bit, and reading a lot of the doomsday prophecies on this board over the past few days, however, I must say I am more encouraged about our season today than Monday. While we certainly can't make up for the loss of Trevor's production and toughness, I believe we still have a talented, albeit young, team. The difference between this year's team and last is that we have a developing backcourt and a great deal of athleticism. I believe we will be able to run and press more this year, as opposed to last year's slow down game without Al, which killed us. Tubby is more comfortable with this style and it should allow him to maximize our strengths as we look to move forward. Tubby will likely go small a lot more than we have seen in the past, which will make us a more exciting team to watch. While we may or not make the tourney, I believe we will be competitive and fighting for a tourney birth by the end of the season once the team adapts to life without Trevor. The key will be the ability of Dre Hollins and Welch to continue to develop and cut down on their turnovers. Their offensive games seem to be coming along nicely, so if they can do this, then i believe we can make up for our lack of toughness inside with some solid backcourt play. I for one don't think Tubby has lost it yet, and I believe the difficulties of the past couple of years have him more prepared to deal with adversity this year as well. I for one am sticking with this team believe that we have the potential to surprise some people this year.

Go Gophs!

"This Will Not Be A Throw-Away Year!"

Not according to our anonymous experts here on the GopherHole who never played the game in and of itself. All they know is games on the computer.

I was as bummed as anyone by Trevor's injury. I must admit that I too saw our season ending before it really got rolling when the severity of his injury was confirmed. After reflecting a bit, and reading a lot of the doomsday prophecies on this board over the past few days, however, I must say I am more encouraged about our season today than Monday. While we certainly can't make up for the loss of Trevor's production and toughness, I believe we still have a talented, albeit young, team. The difference between this year's team and last is that we have a developing backcourt and a great deal of athleticism. I believe we will be able to run and press more this year, as opposed to last year's slow down game without Al, which killed us. Tubby is more comfortable with this style and it should allow him to maximize our strengths as we look to move forward. Tubby will likely go small a lot more than we have seen in the past, which will make us a more exciting team to watch. While we may or not make the tourney, I believe we will be competitive and fighting for a tourney birth by the end of the season once the team adapts to life without Trevor. The key will be the ability of Dre Hollins and Welch to continue to develop and cut down on their turnovers. Their offensive games seem to be coming along nicely, so if they can do this, then i believe we can make up for our lack of toughness inside with some solid backcourt play. I for one don't think Tubby has lost it yet, and I believe the difficulties of the past couple of years have him more prepared to deal with adversity this year as well. I for one am sticking with this team believe that we have the potential to surprise some people this year.

Go Gophs!

Okay hendo. Like your spirit! Let's Go Gophers! Beat VT. That would be a great start!

Go Gophs!

YES! This is what I've been saying. It's going to be difficult, but it's certainly not impossible. Onward and upward.

I'm excited about the rest of the season, and not afraid to admit it.

Too many positive things we've already seen so far;

> Austin Hollins had already established himself as arguably the second best player on the team.
> Dre Hollins looks like a playmaker, and a decent shooter, both things that were sorely needed.
> EE has already gotten meaningful minutes and he looks to be active around the basket at least.
> Oto looks like he could be a really good shooter, slightly more athletic than I had anticipated.
> Rodney is Rodney, but he looks at least a little more aggressive and he's got one of the only respectable A/TO ratios of the main minute-getters
> Ralph will step up. He'll disappear at times, no doubt, but he's a senior with a lot to play for.
> Very encouraged by what we've seen from Julian Welch. Another guy who can shoot, at least so far, which will help.

It's shaping up that Rodney could be the only starter that can't consistently hit a mid-range jumper (and shoot FT's for that matter).

I know this is beating a dead horse but I would still really like to see this team go with just 7 or 8 guys. I know that just doesn't seem to be what Tubby does but I think it would really help.

One more encouraging thing (even though it's early): The primary ball-handlers appear to be not just good but borderline EXCEPTIONAL free throw shooters. Hollins, Hollins, Welch, and Maverick are a combined better than 85% from the line. Gotta love that going for them in some tight games down the stretch.

These guys have pride and many will see Trevor's loss as an opportunity. These guys will have a respectable season, there's not a doubt in my mind.

I'm excited about the rest of the season, and not afraid to admit it.

Too many positive things we've already seen so far;

> Austin Hollins had already established himself as arguably the second best player on the team.
> Dre Hollins looks like a playmaker, and a decent shooter, both things that were sorely needed.
> EE has already gotten meaningful minutes and he looks to be active around the basket at least.
> Oto looks like he could be a really good shooter, slightly more athletic than I had anticipated.
> Rodney is Rodney, but he looks at least a little more aggressive and he's got one of the only respectable A/TO ratios of the main minute-getters
> Ralph will step up. He'll disappear at times, no doubt, but he's a senior with a lot to play for.
> Very encouraged by what we've seen from Julian Welch. Another guy who can shoot, at least so far, which will help.

It's shaping up that Rodney could be the only starter that can't consistently hit a mid-range jumper (and shoot FT's for that matter).

I know this is beating a dead horse but I would still really like to see this team go with just 7 or 8 guys. I know that just doesn't seem to be what Tubby does but I think it would really help.

One more encouraging thing (even though it's early): The primary ball-handlers appear to be not just good but borderline EXCEPTIONAL free throw shooters. Hollins, Hollins, Welch, and Maverick are a combined better than 85% from the line. Gotta love that going for them in some tight games down the stretch.

These guys have pride and many will see Trevor's loss as an opportunity. These guys will have a respectable season, there's not a doubt in my mind.

Spot on analysis!

Beat Va Tech!

In my mind, I'm seeing a team set up like a couple of years ago when it was Nolen/Joseph, Westbrook, Hoffarber, Johnson, and Sampson, with Carter and Iverson coming off the bench. That team managed to figure it out at the end and pull a tournament berth out of a hat. At least this season the team has more time to work around lost players.

With this thread I can't quite figure out what stage of grief GopherHole is in. We certainly have had shock, pain, a whole lot of anger, and depression. Are we in the acceptance and hope stage or is this just the upward turn?

With this thread I can't quite figure out what stage of grief GopherHole is in. We certainly have had shock, pain, a whole lot of anger, and depression. Are we in the acceptance and hope stage or is this just the upward turn?

lol! I know that with all the current negativity this thread is probably quite a shock to the system! :)

I can't speak for all GHers, but I simply believe I am seeing things more clearly now that I have separated myself from the initial shock/disappointment of Trevor's injury. I believe we have enough talent and a good enough coach to keep this ship righted and headed in a positive, competitive direction. If our young players continue to develop and believe in themselves, their teammates, and their coaches, then I believe we can still make some noise in the B1G and possibly make the tourney.

I have also seen, and been a part of, enough teams that have overcome devastating injuries and suspensions to know that this team is capable of overcoming this as well. I agree with Tubby...this is a great opportunity for these young men to see what they are made of and to do something few people believe they can do. I was on a championship team once that started the season 2-7, fired the coach mid season, got on a streak to make the last playoff spot with an 8-10 record, and then go on a run to become the first team ever in our league to win the championship with a losing record. So personally, I just believe that with effort, belief, and continued development, this team can shock some people. GO Gophs!

Top Bottom