This should be fun. Reusse interview with Tracy Claeys

In my estimation Claeys would love to back peddle that comment as he was leaving the facility, it probably felt good in the moment but he has more class than that. On the other hand, he was set up and Coyle treated him like ****. I am a fan of Claeys and wish him all the best, let's just say I like his style.

I don't think there was anything personal between Claeys and Coyle. It really was just business. As others have said, Coyle wanted *his* guy to be the HC, not someone else's hire.

Probably was calling people and formulating his short list the moment he was hired as Gophers AD.

Now Kaler on the other hand ... actually I don't know if he really cared that much about football enough to have a personal relationship with Kill or Claeys. I think he was more concerned with putting on a big tough guy public image of "I don't care if I get fired, I'm not backing down on sexual assault, the U will do as we please, so piss off".

Last edited:

There is one minor thing where it wouldn't surprise me Reusse had a bit of a soft spot for Claeys: both are a bit on the "jolly" side, if you get where I'm going with that. And that's not an insult, it's just saying what is true. You are who you are.

I believe he retired that column.
He named himself it last year as a finale.
But I agree, I always looked forward to reading that one.

Reusse is an excellent writer.
Reusse is a Gopher troll.

Both are true IMO.

That's right...I had forgotten.

Maybe after reading 2 GHers liked it, he'll bring it back!!

Did Reusse ever interview Claeys while he was coaching the Gophers?

I'm not sure, but I do know this: if Tracy were still HC here, Pat would not be writing puff-piece interview columns about him. He'd still be calling him Big Country and ridiculing the work he was doing, especially if he were losing.

Did Reusse ever interview Claeys while he was coaching the Gophers?

His favorite Gophers coach is always the one that is no longer there. He did the same thing with Kill. Rarely said anything good about him until he was gone.

It's always funny how the thin-skinned wailers on Gopherhole freak out at any mention of Pat Reusse. Even funnier is how people take the occasion of an interesting, fair, well-written article to point out all his past sins. Reusse is one of those writers who when he's good he's very good, and when he's bad he's very very bad.

It's time to grow a tougher hide. But then again, it was time for that when you were twelve years old.

Claeys is right where he belongs being a defensive coordinator. Maybe he is taking advantage of the Marijuana laws out there in Washington if he thinks the Gophers would have won a lot more under him. Washington is a beautiful state and glad he is doing well.

I really like TC, but I've no reason to think he would be doing better as an HC.

I'd take him as a DC in a heartbeat.

I really like TC, but I've no reason to think he would be doing better as an HC.

I'd take him as a DC in a heartbeat.

No question the defense would be performing better. So you are basically saying running his offense with Green at QB would not have gotten a few more wins last year and this year?

All this article did for me was wish we had a different DC.

Can we stop using "This" in response to posts? We're all grown adults here. I think. Plus, it is 2018 now.

(However, if you're a middle-aged woman and are accustomed to typing it after seeing a cool Facebook post about a neato recipe or something like that I'll cut you some slack.)

Can we stop using "This" in response to posts? We're all grown adults here. I think. Plus, it is 2018 now.

(However, if you're a middle-aged woman and are accustomed to typing it after seeing a cool Facebook post about a neato recipe or something like that I'll cut you some slack.)

Th---- oh....

No question the defense would be performing better.

Based on what? Gary Moore would be the only DT left with what Claeys had committed and was recruiting. It's bad enough the way it is with what Fleck was able to pull in at the last second.

So you are basically saying running his offense with Green at QB would not have gotten a few more wins last year and this year?

And no I do not think they would win more games with Seth Green running the ball 25 times a game because he can't throw. They would likely have won less last year and this year.

Based on what? Gary Moore would be the only DT left with what Claeys had committed and was recruiting. It's bad enough the way it is with what Fleck was able to pull in at the last second.

And no I do not think they would win more games with Seth Green running the ball 25 times a game because he can't throw. They would likely have won less last year and this year.

Yeah there's no reason to think this team would be the same... but only better on the defensive side with TC coaching.

That would be like me saying I would have won the Michigan game because I would have had plays prepared at the end of that game....

Last edited:

Amen to that. I am thinking like 1-6 this season and probably scholarships still available.

I have little doubt we would have been better last year. Just the fact that Claeys did care about winning would have helped. His style would have suited our players better too. By this year it is hard to know as the teams would be quite different in most personnel. The switch to PJ wasn’t made for last year so I guess that is OK, but we would have won more last year. Not even sure how one could question that? GWG does, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who sees a contradiction here:

fans say "Claeys would have failed." Same fans say "Fleck will succeed." Based on what? Speculation and hope, respectively.

We don't know what Claeys would have done with a year 2 or 3. We don't know what players he and his staff would have recruited, or how those players would have fit into their system. But people "know" he would have failed.

My gut feeling is that Claeys - given a chance - would have kept the Gopher program at a respectable if not great level - let's say averaging 7.5 wins a year over a 5-year period. Now, some will say "that's not good enough." fine. you have a right to your opinion.

but, I will point this out: Fleck won 5 games last year. he's heading for (maybe) a 5 or 6 win season this year. so, for Fleck to average that "not good enough" level of 7.5 wins a year, assuming he's at 10 or 11 wins after this year, then Fleck will have to win an average of 8.8 games a season for years 3 through 5.

we will see what happens.

If someone offered me 5 wins for this year right now....I'd jump on that and take it in a hurry!

At this point, I wonder what Vegas would put the O/U on wins for this year at. Five would not be a money maker, but what would they do?

Am I the only one who sees a contradiction here:

fans say "Claeys would have failed." Same fans say "Fleck will succeed." Based on what? Speculation and hope, respectively.

We don't know what Claeys would have done with a year 2 or 3. We don't know what players he and his staff would have recruited, or how those players would have fit into their system. But people "know" he would have failed.

My gut feeling is that Claeys - given a chance - would have kept the Gopher program at a respectable if not great level - let's say averaging 7.5 wins a year over a 5-year period. Now, some will say "that's not good enough." fine. you have a right to your opinion.

but, I will point this out: Fleck won 5 games last year. he's heading for (maybe) a 5 or 6 win season this year. so, for Fleck to average that "not good enough" level of 7.5 wins a year, assuming he's at 10 or 11 wins after this year, then Fleck will have to win an average of 8.8 games a season for years 3 through 5.

we will see what happens.

Nobody "knows" anything.

If we stuck to what we know this forum would be nearly empty....

Nobody "knows" anything.

If we stuck to what we know this forum would be nearly empty....

What I'm getting at - instead of making blanket statements like "the gophers would be 1-6 with Claeys," just add those three little words - IN MY OPINION.

there is a big difference between "I know" and "I think." a lot of people on here like to make "I know" statements, when they should be "I think" statements.

What I'm getting at - instead of making blanket statements like "the gophers would be 1-6 with Claeys," just add those three little words - IN MY OPINION.

there is a big difference between "I know" and "I think." a lot of people on here like to make "I know" statements, when they should be "I think" statements.

We can all just assume those statements are there.

Ridiculous post. You're seriously going to argue that the defense under Claeys wouldn't be performing at a higher level than the total trash fire we have now??

I have little doubt we would have been better last year. Just the fact that Claeys did care about winning would have helped. His style would have suited our players better too. By this year it is hard to know as the teams would be quite different in most personnel. The switch to PJ wasn’t made for last year so I guess that is OK, but we would have won more last year. Not even sure how one could question that? GWG does, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. We won 5 games last year under a coach who basically admitted be didn't care about W's and L's.

Top Bottom