This could be a year no #1 seeds make Final 4

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I really like Gonzaga and think they're national championship timber, but there's not a great team in college basketball this year. Of the current projected one seeds (Zags, Villanova, Baylor, Kansas), they're really good teams, but none that scream "shoo-in for Final 4." I think the 1 vs. 8-9 games and/or the 1 vs. 4/5 Sweet 16 games are going to produce multiple upsets, no matter who ends up with those seeds. Just don't see a lot of difference between the top seeds and teams in the 16-25 range. I give you an example:

Neutral court, Purdue vs. Kansas. Who do you like?

I honestly like the Boilers better.

That's just one example.

I don't disagree, but I think this has been the story most of the time since the 1 and done rule was implemented.

Just looking back to 2010, only one year had more than one #1 seed make it to the Final Four - 2015. 2011 didn't have a #1 seed in the Final Four.

Villanova would be my pick as most likely to make the Final Four.

Baylor and Kansas are fairly inconsistent.

Gonzaga is always hard because of the weak conference they play in, but they are solid so far.

And SS, I'd take Kansas simply because of the lack of athleticism and savvy with Purdue's guards.

This is the best Gonzaga team to date. They will be a very tough out. But I generally agree with the OP.

It's all dependent on how the seeds fall into place, but I wouldn't be surprised if all 4 teams come from west of the Mississippi.

I don't disagree, but I think this has been the story most of the time since the 1 and done rule was implemented.

Just looking back to 2010, only one year had more than one #1 seed make it to the Final Four - 2015. 2011 didn't have a #1 seed in the Final Four.

Outside of the year recently when Kentucky had the dominant squad things have been pretty wide open. The high seeds still tend to win out more often then not but there seems to be very little separation between the #1-#5 seeds in most cases.

Top Bottom