think the whole "6 hours or 7AM" or which ever is later rule for tailgating sucks....

Reaction score
think the whole "6 hours or 7AM" or which ever is later rule for tailgating sucks....

for big ten teams that play in the central time zone. does anyone know if this "guideline" is similar to what schools like becky, the hogeyes and illinois go by for their tailgating rules? and if it is similar to what the big ten schools in the eastern time zone go by?

if so, it is kind of crappy for the central time zone teams who are forced to start their games at 11AM instead of 12PM for t.v. purposes. basically, the eastern time zone teams get an extra hour worth of tailgating (5 hours) vs. the western teams (4 hours). starting all games at noon LOCAL TIME would be so much better.

I am hoping that this a loosely enforced rule. Otherwise, for night games, there are going to be a lot pissed off people clogging up traffic waiting to pull into a empty parking lot at noon, or whatever time. Personally, I can understand the 4 hour after game rule a lot more than this one.

I am hoping that this a loosely enforced rule. Otherwise, for night games, there are going to be a lot pissed off people clogging up traffic waiting to pull into a empty parking lot at noon, or whatever time. Personally, I can understand the 4 hour after game rule a lot more than this one.

it is likely for that one really annoying hypothetical "old couple" that lives near the U of M who attends every regents meeting and minneapolis city council meeting to complain about anything and everything. "he/she" was probably the driving force behind the official "tailgate" start time rules even though most old people are always up at 5AM everyday anyways so what does it matter?! ;)

for big ten teams that play in the central time zone. does anyone know if this "guideline" is similar to what schools like becky, the hogeyes and illinois go by for their tailgating rules? and if it is similar to what the big ten schools in the eastern time zone go by?

if so, it is kind of crappy for the central time zone teams who are forced to start their games at 11AM instead of 12PM for t.v. purposes. basically, the eastern time zone teams get an extra hour worth of tailgating (5 hours) vs. the western teams (4 hours). starting all games at noon LOCAL TIME would be so much better.

Michigan State started using a similar rule a couple of years ago. They call it the 7/9/1 rule. Other than that I have no idea.

For the AF game I think we're going to stay at the Holiday Inn Metrodome. That way we can scout out how the U is enforcing/patrolling our lot (C89) and we'll get into it as fast as we can.

so being an eastern time zone big ten team and with their 7AM/9AM/1PM rule MSU fans are always guranteed at least 5 hours of tailgating as opposed to our 4 hours if the game is an 11AM game. and it sounds like at wisconsin you can park in your spot as of 12:01AM on gameday, but no earlier, which seems very liberal. why do we always have to err on the side of caution and restriction when it comes to things like this that will be outside of the actual stadium itself?!?! f-ing prudes! :mad:

anyways, is there ever a chance for a central time zone big ten team playing at home to start at NOON instead of the usually prescribed 11AM if they are not playing a late afternoon or evening game? i.e. if perhaps they are staggering start times for t.v. time slots if two central time zone big ten teams (minnesota & wisconsin) are each at home that week playing opponents?

anyways, is there ever a chance for a central time zone big ten team playing at home to start at NOON instead of the usually prescribed 11AM if they are not playing a late afternoon or evening game? i.e. if perhaps they are staggering start times for t.v. time slots if two central time zone big ten teams (minnesota & wisconsin) are each at home that week playing opponents?

No. Not unless they change the timeslots back 1 hour starting with the EST (1EST, 12CST). This is a TV thing. All the games start and end at the same time so that they can easily break the broadcasts of the early games up by region.

Again...I like the 11 AM starts.
Seriously, is 4 hours (or 3 1/2) not enough time to tailgate?

basically, the eastern time zone teams get an extra hour worth of tailgating (5 hours) vs. the western teams (4 hours). starting all games at noon LOCAL TIME would be so much better.

Oh no. We can't tailgate at 6 a.m. Are we living in China?

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, i thought this was Merica! What is this communist russia?

(gets in the back of a police car with pants around ankles)

I'm sorry, I'm sorry, i thought this was Merica! What is this communist russia?

(gets in the back of a police car with pants around ankles)

ha! classic. all done in the voice of randy marsh from southpark. "bat dad" was a classic episode. well done! ;)

As a guy who typically defends the U on most things, I must say that if they don't open the tailgating lots for an 11am kickoff until 7am - then they will learn that they should. Traffic isn't going to be easy.

I've tailgated many times in similar on-campus situations (Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State) for 11am kickoffs and to be honest if you aren't parked by 6am in many of those lots close to the stadium, you won't get a spot. The beauty of that is, that it thins the herd. Early arrivers have incentive to get there early for the spot. Later arrivers settle for worse spots, but are okay with it because they don't like getting up early. And, at the end of the day, the long line of cars heading to the area is spread out over a longer period of time.

If tell EVERYONE they have to wait until 7am to get into the lot, then the traffic nightmare will be just that - a nightmare. For 11am kicks, some of those spots should be opened by at least 6am to encourage an extra hour of folks getting there to thin the traffic later.

Heck, there are tailgaters at Wisconsin who are four Bloody Marys and three breakfast sausages into it by 7am.

Top Bottom