think it is imperative we email the band director about in-game music selections

Reaction score
what is the band director's name and email?

i was at the game today and agree with some of the comments about the in-game music selection by the band director being very inappropriate (most significantly noise-wise) for a football game in terms of lack of bass drum/tuba and deep noise being somewhat absent.

someone mentioned in another thread that they felt that you could hear the cal band better at times. while i am not sure if that is true or not, if so, it was because most of what they played involved strong bass drums which carry in any stadium and more often than not get a crowd on its feet and loud. in-game music with strong bass drums and tuba seems to be severly lacking with the U of M band. how can the music director not know this and how has he not rectified this? his music selection is very annoying for a football game.

we need to start writing emails to the band director respectfully requesting that he change up the music selection to more football appropriate stuff that will get a crowd energized in unison with the band. thoughts??

p.s. don't want to offend any band members on the board, but i have to agree that the disco themed stuff at half was kind of lame. it was all flutes and clarinets that you can barely hear in the stands.

I don't put this on the band members it is the Director

That guy is in charge and calls the shots. He would not know how to rev up a stadium if it hit him in the HEAD. That disco crap today was as lame if not lamer than anything they have ever done and he was grooving on the sideline and really digging it. Don't know dudes name but he seems like he just doesn't get Big 10 football. Don't think emailing will do any good, there have been similar complaints about in game music and sound in the past and nothing has changed. The acoustics in the stadium suck, if your field level like the Cal band was and the stands are pushing the music towards you it is loud, that hole pit set-up is a fiasco, the only thing you can hear consistently is the rouser. The sound was actually better in the Metrodome and I thought I would ever think that. Shudder, the sound in the Dome was better.

Here's the info on how to contact the Marching Band staff. When I've tried, the only one to reply was Jerry Luckhardt, so I'd email them all with your concerns.

Tim Diem, Marching Band Director
Assistant Director of Bands [email protected]
612-624-6873

Alicia Neal, Associate Marching Band Director
Assistant Director of Bands [email protected]
612-624-6873

Craig Kirchhoff
Director of Bands [email protected]
612-624-6873

Jerry Luckhardt
Associate Director of Bands [email protected]
612-624-6873