Things could change in big hurry IF

Doc1001

Reaction score
and of course there are two big IFs here. But if the IFs hold-- you could see a big change in one year.
First---the new defense must be comparable to this year but be better on third downs. If they can come close to this year and kind of hold their own that would be the first big step.
Secondly---if somehow there could be some infusion of new talent on the offensive line where they can run reasonably well and protect the quarterback---have a quarterback that can manage the game----we could see a HUGE turnaround on one year. Thats how teams like Wisconsin and Iowa bolt to the top----a couple of things like that happen on one year. Its not impossible but it is unlikely. But wouldnt it be fun.

I wish I could see it. However I think we will be counting on the same squad improving. And really they have over the year, maybe they will some more. Maybe to the point where they are OK. If you think about it, how much better would this year have been if the offense was even just a little better? It could have been significant.

First---the new defense must be comparable to this year but be better on third downs. If they can come close to this year and kind of hold their own that would be the first big step.
Typical failed third down stops are due to lack of a decent secondary. I think our best freshman defenders are in those positions -- so this could happen.

Secondly---if somehow there could be some infusion of new talent on the offensive line where they can run reasonably well and protect the quarterback---have a quarterback that can manage the game----we could see a HUGE turnaround on one year.
The OL is suspect. Weber is suspect. I believe the WR corps will be much better next year, and that in itself could help open up the run. If one of our RB's (including the recruits) can make a splash, it's feasible as well.

Wishful thinking though...

Did anyone notice the effect Gray had on ISU's defenders when he moved out of the pocket and threatened a run? I saw at least three of them instantly break off pursuit of the play and freeze, which allowed Gray the time to select a receiver and get him the ball with a nice throw. It should tell us something that the opponent respects him enough as a backup to prepare for his strengths.

I completely agree. He's a major threat, and it's well known. Having Gray in the pocket would help the OL out. I can't imagine defenses would try to chase him out of the pocket the way they do cement-feet Weber.

I saw that too. It was like the whole ISU defense just stopped in unison for like a second. The other thing that amazes me is how he doesn't look fast, but he goes right past defenders. I honestly believe he can be a great QB for us if he just gets the chance to get out there and mix it up for a while. Scale back the offense if necessary.

I saw that too. It was like the whole ISU defense just stopped in unison for like a second. The other thing that amazes me is how he doesn't look fast, but he goes right past defenders. I honestly believe he can be a great QB for us if he just gets the chance to get out there and mix it up for a while. Scale back the offense if necessary.

He's a glider, not in Pryor's class, but still a threat to run. I was at the bowl game and I can see why the coaching staff is excited about Gray and also why they are hesitant to play him more - but everyone knows that.

I think the defense stopped in unison so they could wait for him to fumble. Gray has flashes, but he's averaging a fumble about every 15 touches. This is unacceptable for any player, but especially a quarterback. Don't tell me he should be working on this in a game either, because he shouldn't be.

In my opinion, the thing that is holding our defense back from being really good (and poor on 3rd downs) isn't our secondary, but our pass rush. If we can find a way to put pressure on the QB at an even somewhat consistant rate, then our defense will be very good next season.

Then if our offense can be merely adaquete (like 5th-7th in Big 10), I think we will go 5-3 in conference. For that to happen, some of these big IFs need to happen...
-Offensive line will have to get more accustomed to putting their hand in the dirt and firing out at defenders.
-Our RB's will need to find holes, hit the holes, and run hard. I love Whaley's speed, but if he doesn't start hitting the holes (when they are there), I think Eskridge gives us our best RB.
-Either Weber drastically improves or (more plausibly) Gray/Alipate emerge as a legitimate Big 10 QB.

Typical failed third down stops are due to lack of a decent secondary. I think our best freshman defenders are in those positions -- so this could happen.

I am going to add that the lack of a decent secondary can be covered up for with a decent pass rush. It isn't going to matter how good the secondary may be if there is not pressure put on the QB.

Until there is a vast improvement on the DL getting pressure then third down stops are still going to be s struggle.

I think that the def. coaches started to get more confident in the players and themselves the last part of the yr. Instead of being agressive on just 1st and 2nd down, then backing off on third, they stayed agressive and if they continue to do that we will have a much better d. If the receivers are locked down on the 1st few yards off the line, the QB needs more time because he can't hit the 5yd pass because we are not coveing till 8 this will help the rush and the whole d.

Top Bottom