Theiren Cockran

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Cockran is still a little inconsistent, but he is really have a good year. I didn't realize that he is leading the BT in sacks at 5.5 and forced fumbles with 3. Fun to think about having him around for another two years.

202283.jpg

His sack of Martinez that stalled their second drive was a thing of beauty.

Cockran is becoming a really good edge rusher. When he gets to the point where he can engage a good OT and stop the run, he'll be a beast.

im surprised that didnt make the highlights. HUGE hit. loved watching martinez get creamed

Made college football today, along with Engel's catch as top defensive and offensive plays.

How many of those sacks with Shede off the field?

Shede being on or off the field likely wouldn't impact Cockran as much as it would the adjacent DE and DT, who would benefit from potential double teams. Cockran I think usually plays the other side end and gets the great majority of his sacks via speed rushes. The only way to double team or help the right OT would be the RB chipping or doubleteaming with a TE on that side.

Cockran has improved against the run.

Cockran is becoming a really good edge rusher. When he gets to the point where he can engage a good OT and stop the run, he'll be a beast.[/QUOT

I'm excited to see that he looks like he is making an effort to be more disciplined in his gap assignments and at least helping to stop the run. He is getting better at using his hands and long arms, he continues that, to be gap sound, and puts on pressure and he is going to turn in to one of the better rush ends we have had in a while. Keep up the good work Mr. Cockran(your effort and improvement is noticeable) and put that Indiana ball carrier on his backside often.

Jerrod Allen for the Vikes is a good pass rusher but he has been so undisciplined latley people are totally running at the gap that he vacates. His wide rush lanes and inability to get to the quarterback are killing his team.
As an Edge rusher you have to be aware of them sucking you in on purpose,(you have to smell what is up some times) so they the offense can take advantage of your empty gap. Allen hasn't done that all season and is a poster child for not maintaining his gap discipline, and giving up the easy runs. combine that with everyone trying to do to much and you get the cluster that is the Vikes D.
That and the dumb line stunts the Vikings are running where people are twisting to the same gap and vacating the 3 gap. There 3 gap line play has been putrid all season. Combine that with the cover two deep drops of the safety's and the linebackers and you have what you have the dink and dunk passing game to perfection.
Sometimes it is keep it simple stupid and don't try to out-think the game in front of you. The Vikings are the prime example of what not to do on defense this season. Do your job, not somebody else's and when it is not working you better change. So far the Vikings have not been able to adjust. At least the Gophers coaches have understood what people are doing to them and made half time adjustments and even in game adjustments, this has been the best year so far for that.

His sack of Martinez that stalled their second drive was a thing of beauty.

It was an awesome play....it was also a complete breakdown by Nebraska since they didn't even bother to block him and just let him take a free run at Martinez.

It was an awesome play....it was also a complete breakdown by Nebraska since they didn't even bother to block him and just let him take a free run at Martinez.

I think it was Martinez's fault. It was a rollout to the left and they may have purposely not blocked Cockran because you make the assumption he has too long to run to get to the QB before he gets rid of the ball. Martinez rolled pretty lazily and stopped and set himself up to get destroyed.

Can't believe he's only a Sophomore. Anybody remember what happened to KGM, that other guy who was supposedly full of potential as a speed rusher?

Red shirting is a wonderful thing.

I think it was Martinez's fault. It was a rollout to the left and they may have purposely not blocked Cockran because you make the assumption he has too long to run to get to the QB before he gets rid of the ball. Martinez rolled pretty lazily and stopped and set himself up to get destroyed.

That's what it looked like to me as well. It was intended for Martinez to get rid of the ball quicker than he did. Either he messed up or the coverage was just very good.

He transferred to UNC (University of Northern Colorado).

He never played much here as a DE, and switched to TE and got hurt and never contributed. He got his degree (hats off to him!) and is doing his 5th year at UNC and is playing DE again.

It looks like he has one sack and is averaging about a tackle or two per game for UNC, a 1-7 Division 1 AA school. I'm disappointed he never made the transition to the B10 because I remember being really excited about him! I hope he enjoys his final year in Greeley.

Top Bottom