The Today I Was Reminded Ben Johnson Is a Big Ten Coach of The Year Candidate POLL

How Likely Is It Ben Johnson Will Be Named Big Ten Coach of the Year at Season's End?

• Total voters

60's Guy

Reaction score
Based on the quote of the day:
Johnson said he is on the same page as Athletics Director Mark Coyle in regards to the trajectory of the program.

“Mark is great. He understands where we’re at, he understands the process of this,” said Johnson. “When you let something bake, it tastes better.”

One could leap to the conclusion Ben will be here in year four once again. With this enthusiasm among some a poll broke out of those discussions...

I see as high as 3rd in conference. Certainly out of the bottom into the middle of the standings. He has the most talented team we have seen in a very long time. Now put it together, Ben.

I see as high as 3rd in conference. Certainly out of the bottom into the middle of the standings. He has the most talented team we have seen in a very long time. Now put it together, Ben.

I can’t say I have ever seen any team this talented.

And if the squad stays intact plus Asuma.

If the Gophers somehow finish .500 BIG and a NCAA tourney game, he stands a good chance unless another team really surprises.
What have you seen to have such expectations?

What have you seen to have such expectations?
Fair question as I know that I am in a minority with my expectations.

First off, Ben deserves a break from all the injuries. But the team depth will be better with 8 returning scholarship players plus Betts RS year.

Garcia has the upside to be a top 10 BIG type player. We all know Payne's potential. JOJ and Carrington showed flashes and will be better after off season development.

I see better ball handling, FT shooting and offensive flow. The new PG's will have to cut down on their last season TO's. Rebounding has to be improved with a year of strength and conditioning. Team D is always a question but "others" should equal or better Battle, PG's appear to be more mobile than Cooper and the vets bigger and stronger. Last year 4 FR's saw extensive PT. That will not be the case this season.

Christie comes to us highly rated with good genes and Betts should earn some PT. I think those two will be better coming out of the gate than 4 FR last season.
If healthy, Ihnen and Fox can only help our depth.

Unless the wheels come off, I see no reason for us to play 2-3 guys 35+ minutes a game which took its toll.

One other plus is the team should have good chemistry and motivation with those that return. I assume that they don't want to be the worst team in the BIG again.

Finally, Ben and staff have two years under their belt with a full understanding of what it takes to be a competitive BIG program.

Fire away!!!🏹

First off, Ben deserves a break from all the injuries. But the team depth will be better with 8 returning scholarship players plus Betts RS year.

Garcia has the upside to be a top 10 BIG type player. We all know Payne's potential. JOJ and Carrington showed flashes and will be better after off season development.

I see better ball handling, FT shooting and offensive flow. The new PG's will have to cut down on their last season TO's. Rebounding has to be improved with a year of strength and conditioning. Team D is always a question but "others" should equal or better Battle, PG's appear to be more mobile than Cooper and the vets bigger and stronger. Last year 4 FR's saw extensive PT. That will not be the case this season.

Christie comes to us highly rated with good genes and Betts should earn some PT. I think those two will be better coming out of the gate than 4 FR last season.

Unless the wheels come off, I see no reason for us to play 2-3 guys 35+ minutes a game which took its toll.

One other plus is the team should have good chemistry and motivation with those that return. I assume that they don't want to be the worst team in the BIG again.

Finally, Ben and staff have two years under their belt with a full understanding of what it takes to be a competitive BIG program.

Fire away!!!🏹
Pretty good job. I see defense and hot 3 point shooting to be huge pluses. Glad you’re not one of the “bad gopher” fans. All pluses from last year.

Pretty good job. I see defense and hot 3 point shooting to be huge pluses. Glad you’re not one of the “bad gopher” fans. All pluses from last year.
Please share what you have been drinking.

Fire away!!!🏹
Perish the thought sire -

You doffed an archery emoji

So I gave my reasons for optimism.

It’s your turn for your pessimism, sire! Ben sucks or something similar as our coach doesn't count.
You missed the target 🎯 this time😉.
Perish the thought = no negativity

It was meant as a compliment and I have Ben a Ben backer throughout.

Was he my first choice?

No, but he is our coach and I would support him until he isn’t. Grouching and grumbling never accomplishes much, except maybe an ulcer or frown lines.

Have a great holiday

Last edited:

Fire away!!!🏹
This year's Gophers could be better. Garcia and Payne were probably playing their best at the end of the year. That's a sign for optimism and hopefully two guys we can count on. We know Ola Joseph is going to compete and play hard.
After that we can make cases for the rest of the roster but they are all pretty much unproven or less of a known quantity in Big Ten play
Almost everybody we play got better. It looks like we did too but enough to win games?

It is troubling to soften our non conference schedule to only woeful competition. That doesn't suggest optimism or trust from Ben putting the schedule together.

Anxious to see what we look like and how Ben approaches the season.

Fire away!!!🏹
Nice to see a reasoned response and some optimism. Much appreciated over the same negative crap over and over and over by the same people.

Fire away!!!🏹
61% of the readers feel we will win 5 or more games in the Big Ten this season. That is a majority.
After four wins in the first season and 2 wins in the second season I'd say most people agree with your optimism.

You missed the target 🎯 this time😉.
Perish the thought = no negativity

It was meant as a compliment and I have Ben a Ben backer throughout.

Was he my first choice?

No, but he is our coach and I would support him until he isn’t. Grouching and grumbling never accomplishes much, except maybe an ulcer or frown lines.

Have a great holiday
Sorry man! Bad shot on my part.

Top Bottom