The ref's were Indiana grads!!

The officiating was about what I expected. A little more fire in the first half and better perimeter defense and it wouldn't have mattered. My beefs with the officiating weren't specific to this game. If an offensive player makes contact with a defender while going up for a layup/dunk and is leading with his knee, that tells me that the defender has been set long enough to draw a charge. I remember #2 from Indiana doing this in particular. Second, if an offensive player is dribbling with one hand and pushing the defender away with the other, that's an offensive foul. Hulls did it all the time, but no one has ever gotten away with it more than Evan Turner used to.

+1 Hull's push offs were extreme. After a while, Dre started to push back just to defend himself. Then the whistles blew. All the credit to Indiana. That environment was just right for home cooking. They got their fair share. The Gophers did themselves in with that first half. Proud of the come back.

Just turned on the Ohio St- Michigan game and am starting to get pissed again. Michigan is starting to make a run and the officials ARE STILL CALLING THE GAME THE SAME WAY!! what a concept

Don't you suppose Illinois feels the same way? How about Northwestern? MSU? My point is that there are many obvious calls that are missed every game. Us complaining isn't going to do anything. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with Illinois, MSU or Northwestern. Northwestern had no chance no matter how bad the referees were, which they weren't. MSU always gets an evenly-called game at Williams, and it occurred again. There was a significant stretch in that game where all the calls went MSU's way, and then the Gophers got the same treatment for a few minutes later. As for Illinois, if you're trying to imply that the refs were significantly biased toward Minnesota AT Illinois, that's just silly. Another well-reffed game? overall yes, thankfully.

As for "Us complaining isn't going to do anything." Complaining about the shllt we witnessed yesterday has a much, MUCH greater probability of effecting change than to not say anything at all. Think of all of the badly referreed games in NFL history that have effected change; including the "Brett Favre" rule that was implemented after the officials gave the Saints an unearned OT victory in the NFC championship game over the Vikings. What about the "Tuck Rule", or the Stabler forward fumble rule, or ... etc. None of these changes get implemented without outcry from the fans/media. Now MBball is not the same as the NFL - more games, less fans watching per game, and thus the outcry is far fewer per injustice. In that way, perhaps you are correct to imply that our voices are insignificant. On the other hand, except for AT Wisconsin and AT Indiana and AT Ohio State, the B1G referrees have slowly but surely been lessening the homerism in the B1G. This is probably a direct result of the expanse of the B1G through the BTN, and the greater scrutiny that comes with it. Still, that scrutiny continues to lie in the voices of the fanbases and the media, and all you're doing by trying to squash discontent is allow the same ol' same ol' to continue.

cncmin: I'm not sure what you're talking about with Illinois, MSU or Northwestern.
My point here was that don't you think that those teams thought that the refs were against them. I find that we determine how good/bad the refs are depends on what side of the scoreboard you are on. If we are winning, we don't really care how the refs are. If we are losing, we tend to overreact and act like the refs were the cause of our loss. Were the refs bad the other day? Depends on your definition of bad. On this thread it seems like the definition is Indiana had less fouls than us so therefore they were bad. I don't think that is necessarily true. Don't get me wrong, I do think they missed calls and that they came at key moments in the game. But we put ourself in that situation by struggling greatly at the beginning of the game.

As for "Us complaining isn't going to do anything." Complaining about the shllt we witnessed yesterday has a much, MUCH greater probability of effecting change than to not say anything at all. Think of all of the badly referreed games in NFL history that have effected change; including the "Brett Favre" rule that was implemented after the officials gave the Saints an unearned OT victory in the NFC championship game over the Vikings. What about the "Tuck Rule", or the Stabler forward fumble rule, or ... etc. None of these changes get implemented without outcry from the fans/media. Now MBball is not the same as the NFL - more games, less fans watching per game, and thus the outcry is far fewer per injustice. In that way, perhaps you are correct to imply that our voices are insignificant. On the other hand, except for AT Wisconsin and AT Indiana and AT Ohio State, the B1G referrees have slowly but surely been lessening the homerism in the B1G. This is probably a direct result of the expanse of the B1G through the BTN, and the greater scrutiny that comes with it. Still, that scrutiny continues to lie in the voices of the fanbases and the media, and all you're doing by trying to squash discontent is allow the same ol' same ol' to continue.

Ok, I get what you are trying to say. If you feel that fan/media outcry is needed to change the the homerism in the B1G than by all means do it. I'm not going to stop you, I won't join in, but I won't stop you because it's your right. But complaining on a message board isn't the way to do it. Email B1G athletic leaders, do something that they will notice.

The refs in the Michigan-OSU game were much better. A few sketchy calls (the layup at the end) but pretty even throughout the game. Ohio State was victim to a flop call earlier so it evens out for the most part.

My point here was that don't you think that those teams thought that the refs were against them. I find that we determine how good/bad the refs are depends on what side of the scoreboard you are on...

Well, I understand where you're coming from on that, as losing tends to get people to complain about the refs; but that's simply not the case here. The refs continually gave Indiana the benefit of the doubt on almost each and every questionable call, and many that weren't questionable at all. That's why people are complaining about it. I posted on a similar thread that you know the officials are horrible when you get throttled in the first half and nobody complains about the refs, but when you thoroughly dominate a team in the second half suddenly everyone complains. This evidence is directly opposite to what you are suggesting.

I agree with your last point, we all complaining here is not likely the best place to effect change. But - and this is the problem with homerism in college bball - there are so few people that actually watched the game that everyone else will just take the opposite side - "you're only complaining because you lost," or, "this always happens for the home team." I would surmise that this game being on BTN instead of national TV was much more conducive to homerism, by the way. Notice that in today's game with Michigan at OSU on the national stage (CBS), the away team Michigan only had 2 fouls called against them in the second half through the first 17 minutes, while they aggressively made a comeback similar to the one the Gophers made yesterday. Note the disparity between the fouls called against UMinn in yesterday's game on the BTN, vice the lack of fouls called against UMich today on CBS. In fact, unlike yesterday when the Gophers were on the wrong side of a bad blocking call about 5 or more different times in the second half, Hardaway Jr. accepted one of those on an OSU fast break and got the correct call at a critical juncture very late in the game. The fact that the referees appeared to call a game not favorable to the home team today directly enabled Michigan to take tying and go-ahead shots late in the game; whereas they disabled Minnesota's chances to do the same at Indiana.

Top Bottom