The 'Real' Mike Leach

Reaction score
Since I am probably the only person on this board that has ever met Mike Leach, let me tell you a little bit about him. About a year ago (a week before the ‘James incident’), I actually got to sit down and talk with Leach for about two-and-half hours. I am still not sure what he was doing in New Braunfels (a long way from Lubbock), but he, his wife, and another couple came into the bar that I frequent. As it was a Sunday night and not very crowded, Leach asked if me and my friend would like to join their group. I tried to keep myself from talking too much about football, but he seemed not to mind talking about it. One of the most interesting things he said (which may be related to the James incident) is that the biggest difference between Texas Tech and the Longhorns is the gap in talent level between the second- and third-stringers. His biggest difficulty, he said, was that he had to some way convince his starters that he would bench them, when, in reality, there is no way he could afford to take them out of the game.

Someone also asked him what his favorite NFL team was. Interestingly, he said that he did not really have a favorite team, but that he followed NFL schemes. He said that he was a fan of whatever coaches and coordinators that were innovative and bringing something new to the table. In that part of the conversation, I could tell that he loves football, he loves the chess-match aspect of the game, and is very confident in his ability (not in a conceded way) to be able to out-maneuver the guy on the other sideline.

We also talked some about recruiting, the Crabtree contract negotiations, politics, ghosts, electricity, etc... All-in-all, Leach is exactly what you see on tv. He is very smart and does not hold back his opinions. In the end, the Gophers would be very lucky to have Leach. It would be a tremendous boost to the program (having a coach that actually knows what he is doing on the side-lines) and I have no doubt that we would finally make it back to the Rose Bowl under his leadership.

I would also add that he was genuinely interested in getting to know everyone at the table and had detailed conversations with each of about our jobs and interests. There were about eight people at the table and there was one guy there that obviously did not know much about football. It impressed me that Leach sought him out, asked what he did for a living (an electrician), and then preceded to talk to him for twenty minutes about being electricity. He did not dominate the conversation, but talked to everyone as if his job was not any more prestigious as ours. We was a 'straight up', GOOD guy.

It is my understanding, as is the understanding of most of us down here in Texas, that this whole ‘James incident’ is about a booster that Leach rubbed the wrong way. Instead of winning football games, the booster had rather go to parties and introduce the head football coach of Texas Tech as his personal friend. He (the booster) had been edging to get Leach fired for awhile, and has a close connection to the chancellor and the a.d. The James incident is just the vehicle that the group used to force Leach out.

As far as the reaction in Texas is concerned, I would say that just about everyone down here, especially Red Raider fans, are still upset. Everyone that I have talked to are in unanimous opinion that Leach got the shaft and that Texas Tech is paying dearly (in terms of program momentum) for forcing Leach out.

Mike leach is the only sure-fire candidate that will turn this program around. I have a feeling that we will be regretting letting this opportunity slip through our hands.

Interesting read.

I actually work with a guy who went to law school with him as well, and he says similar things about him being a decent guy. The guy I work with knows nothing about football, so he had no opinion of him as far as a football coach goes.

Thank you for the insight...it helps our cause a lot to have someone who has actually sat down with the guy.

Thank you for the insight...it helps our cause a lot to have someone who has actually sat down with the guy.

"Cause"? You don't have a cause. You want Leach hired. Your opinion has nothing to do with the process, and daoes not create a "cause". I'm not against Leach, I just want the right guy hired. It might be Leach, it might not be.

I wasn't the greatest Brewster fan, but I supported him until he was fired. I support the playerrs and staff.

I will support the new coach no matter what. Can you say the same?

"Cause"? You don't have a cause. You want Leach hired. Your opinion has nothing to do with the process, and daoes not create a "cause". I'm not against Leach, I just want the right guy hired. It might be Leach, it might not be.

I wasn't the greatest Brewster fan, but I supported him until he was fired. I support the playerrs and staff.

I will support the new coach no matter what. Can you say the same?

Buddy chill I will support whom ever is hired for the good of the program. My cause is to strongly support who I believe to be the best choice for coach for the good of MN football and I strongly believe that to be Mike Leach. It has nothing to do though with my unyielding support (or lack of as your implying) for the program and players. I supported Brew till probably no one else did. I have no problem saying that. But don't start throwing my a** under your little righteousness bus just because you feel the need to attack someone else and edify yourself as a damn fan.

Mike leach is the only sure-fire candidate that will turn this program around. I have a feeling that we will be regretting letting this opportunity slip through our hands.

Leach would be fun, but there are no sure-fire candidates. With the hole that Gopher football has been in since the 60's, timing, circumstances, and luck are all going to play a part. Most hopeful sign for me is that there seems to be more determination to get it right this time.

Haven't heard what Leach said directly. However, at a time when everybody else is being careful and noncommittal, he seems to be the one most in open campaign mode. Might be a sign of his genius, honesty, creativeness, etc. It could also be seen as a sign by the people who hire that Leach is trying to dictate already and isn't going follow the rules. I would think it is another red flag for a guy suing his last employer.

Not just talking about us. With about half a dozen major openings, it'll be interesting to see if the "best" candidate is hired by any of them.

I don't know who brought it up in some other thread, but the Leach situation highlights the key factor of risk in this hire. It's always going to be a risk / reward proposition, so the trick is to understand the magnitude of both of those factors.

Based on history, Mike Leach is a high risk, high reward proposition. The guy could blow up on you in a bad way. The guy could also conceivably win a national championship at Minnesota. I don't say that lightly. He's that good.

I think life is geared toward favoring the bold. I think it's also geared against the reckless. So it's important to understand the line between bold and reckless and stay on the right side of it. It's equally important to not play it safe and be scared of being bold. I think Maturi's reacting to the Brewster fiasco by being too conservative in this hire. I hope I'm wrong.

To cut to the quick, the reward of hiring Leach is so high, it overwhelms the risk. The guy is the surest thing coaching-wise that's out there. The risk can be accepted and minimized/mitigated by the way you can deal with the person and the situation and write the contract. The more I think about it, the more I conclude that the biggest risk of all is not taking the risk. Leach is the way to go.

Since I am probably the only person on this board that has ever met Mike Leach, let me tell you a little bit about him. About a year ago (a week before the ‘James incident’), I actually got to sit down and talk with Leach for about two-and-half hour. I am still not sure what he was doing in New Braunfels (a long way from Lubbock), but he, his wife, and another couple came into the bar that I frequent. As it was a Sunday night and not very crowded, Leach asked if me and my friend would like to join their group. I tried to keep myself from talking too much about football, but he seemed not to mind talking about it. One of the most interesting things he said (which may be related to the James incident) is that the biggest difference between Texas Tech and the Longhorns is the gap in talent level between the second- and third-stringers. His biggest difficulty, he said, was that he had to some way convince his starters that he would bench them, when, in reality, there is no way he could afford to take them out of the game.

Someone also asked him what his favorite NFL team was. Interestingly, he said that he did not really have a favorite team, but that he followed NFL schemes. He said that he was a fan of whatever coaches and coordinators that were innovative and bringing something new to the table. In that part of the conversation, I could tell that he loves football, he loves the chess-match aspect of the game, and is very confident in his ability (not in a conceded way) to be able to out-maneuver the guy on the other sideline.

We also talked some about recruiting, the Crabtree contract negotiations, politics, ghosts, electricity, etc... All-in-all, Leach is exactly what you see on tv. He is very smart and does not hold back his opinions. In the end, the Gophers would be very lucky to have Leach. It would be a tremendous boost to the program (having a coach that actually knows what he is doing on the side-lines) and I have no doubt that we would finally make it back to the Rose Bowl under his leadership.
I would also add that he was genuinely interested in getting to know everyone at the table and had detailed conversations with each of about our jobs and interests. There was about eight people at the table and there was one guy there that obviously did not know much about football. It impressed me that Leach sought him out, asked what he did for a living (an electrician), and then preceded to talk to him for twenty minutes about being electricity. He did not dominate the conversation, but talked to everyone as if his job was not any more prestigious as ours. We was a 'straight up', GOOD guy.

It is my understanding, as is the understanding of most of us down here in Texas, is that this whole ‘James incident’ is about a booster that Leach rubbed the wrong way. Instead of winning football games, the booster had rather go to parties and introduce the head football coach of Texas Tech as his personal friend. He (the booster) has been edging to get Leach fired for awhile, and has a close connection to the chancellor and the a.d. The James incident is just the vehicle that the group is used to force Leach out.

As far as the reaction in Texas is concerned, I would say that just about everyone down here, especially Red Raider fans, are still upset. Everyone that I have talked to are in unanimous opinion that Leach is got the shaft and that Texas Tech is paying dearly (in terms of program momentum) for forcing Leach out.

interesting stuff!...could you possbily email this to Maturi?

Most importantly

Was he wearing a pirate hat?
6a00d83451c9c869e201287692133b970c-800wi

If they hire him / don't hire him. Whatever. Maturi Is crazy if he at least doesn't give him an interview. Unless he does already have his top candidate locked up.

Rewards

Sometimes in life, if you want a big reward, you have to take a big risk.

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, and glory lives forever.

How do you want to be remembered Maturi?

Leach seems to have a very dry wit and sense of humor.
Some of what he says is with a wink.
Very refreshing,

Sometimes in life, if you want a big reward, you have to take a big risk.

Pain heals, Chicks dig scars, and glory lives forever.

How do you want to be remembered Maturi?

Hmmm I wonder if we could get Falco on staff as OC or at least QB coach.

If they hire him / don't hire him. Whatever. Maturi Is crazy if he at least doesn't give him an interview. Unless he does already have his top candidate locked up.

This is all I ask. They better hit a homerun, or I will be pissed they didn't at least talk to Leach.

More about the ghosts please.

Supposedly, the bar that we were at (Uptown Piano Bar) is haunted. I have been going to that bar about twice a week for about ten years now, sometimes staying with the manager until very late at night (or early in morning), and I have never experienced anything supernatural there. However, the place is mentioned in some ‘Haunted Places in Texas’ books.

After several drinks in, someone mentioned to Leach that the bar was haunted. Leach said that he believed in the supernatural but has never experienced anything himself. He said, "I just don't know what the big deal is about ghosts. They are not anything to be afraid about. More people die from water moccasins every year then they ever have from ghosts. If people are going to be afraid, they should be afraid of water moccasins.” I replied that if people died from ghost-related activity, it probably would not get reported as such, but it would rather get reported as a heart attack or something similar. He agreed and said, “you’re probably right…maybe people should be afraid of ghosts.”

The man has an amazing , yet dry, sense of humor. I had so much fun that evening!

If someone with his qualifications and interest wants an interview, only an IDIOT would not do it. Oh yea Maturi is that IDIOT!!

Agreed. Not sure why he wouldn't at least grant a quick interview. He might actually see something he likes. I can already see this hire dribbling down his leg. I have no faith whatsoever in Macturi.

Top Bottom