The question must be asked….

Yeah they are. All the B1G schools except maybe Nebraska are elite academic and research institutions. There are justified reasons to criticize the U, but it's a very good school.
Im not criticizing the U. They are a very good school. They aren't elite. Princeton is elite. The only BIG school that can hang with schools like Princeton is Northwestern.

You still throw that $6 million dollar figure around like it has been verified. To my knowledge, it has not and, given past history, it's kind of hard to believe. Once you get an idea you seem to be extremely confident about it despite insufficient evidence for such certainty.

If you read my post the way it was written, it should be clear that I was talking about Penn State historically in comparison to recent history. Historically, Penn State has not tried that much to make much of a splash in basketball. I think Shrewberry's brief tenure was a bit of a surprise to the athletic department and they decided to pony up more than usual for a replacement.
Verification from a couple weeks ago

All I'm going to say is that mistakes have consequences, and success isn't free. That circles us back to the theme of the OP. The thing I question is whether Minnesota knows what they're missing by having middling to poor revenue sports. Imagine being so prominent in the national pop culture that Smith of Minnesota is made today.

We fans think in terms of playing a sport to win and it is a priority for our favorite team to do so.

Here’s a question: What if there is no plan for winning in major sports at the U? What if the higher minds actually see sports as drain on academic goals? What if diversity, equity and inclusion means that a women’s volleyball win is a bigger deal than big time basketball programs? What if we care more than they do and our idea of winning and competing at the highest level is really no more than an irritation to the elites?

If that were true then we would see it in their decision making…and maybe we do. We will find out in the next 6 months.
Tour the Athletes Village and then let us know what you think. The basketball, and especially football, facilities FAR surpass other sports. Sure, probably still behind other schools. But compared to what it was before and compared to our other sports, it's not even close. Seriously though, schedule a tour, it's really fun.

The Metrodome was such a colossal mistake that it's taking decades to recover. That's my broad assessment. In the past 15 years or so, we've build a gorgeous brand new stadium and Athletes Village. If that's not commitment, I don't know what is. Short answer, f**k Holtz.

As for Ben specifically, we tried the up-&-comer (Monson), HOF-er (Tubby), and pedigree (Pitino). Why not try the local kid? MN has lots of basketball talent, and I assume Coyle saw value in the local AAU angle. High upside, low downside. It's not like we were a perennial powerhouse when Ben got here. If Ben doesn't work out, we lose a few years and are right back where we started. I don't buy the conspiracy stuff.

The u would rather bump shoulders with the academia elites of the world..... Thats all they care about...
Ironically, the UoM, with all their focus away from athletics has also fallen in college academic rankings. National University overall ranking # 53, behind (in order): Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue, Illinois.

I read and commented on that post previously. If you think that post gave a definitive answer to the amount of Johnson's buyout after three years, then I just don't know what to say. Even the author conceded that he couldn't pin down the exact amount of the buyout.
This is what he confirmed in the article:
"Sports Headliners has confirmed with the U that if notice was given March 15, 2024 the buyout amount is $6,519,340."
Seems pretty definitive to me?

This is what he confirmed in the article:
"Sports Headliners has confirmed with the U that if notice was given March 15, 2024 the buyout amount is $6,519,340."
Seems pretty definitive to me?

That absolutely IS NOT confirmed in the post you linked. If you think it is, then you have reading problems. The following is stated explicitly in that post:

- Johnson has a 1 year rollover extension go before the Board of Regents
- If approved (it was) the financial terms of Johnson's contract won't change - the salary, nor the scaled termination fees.

I believe that. After seeing the way Coyle maneuvered to pay as little as humanly possible upon Pitino's termination, I find it hard to believe that Johnson's buyout years would have been extended for another year after his first season and Coyle did not extend Pitino's buyout years with the last extension given to him.

The post continues with ----

Unless Johnson got an undisclosed raised, which would be possible given Coyle's quote, the absolute maxium the buyout could possibly be would be $1.95 million times the 3 remaining years on Johnson's contract

Then, the author goes on to say that the buyout could be 75% of his salary for the remaining years and it is not clear whether the amount per remaining year is based on FULL SALARY or BASE SALARY.

I think you just read a headline and stopped there.

That absolutely IS NOT confirmed in the post you linked. If you think it is, then you have reading problems. The following is stated explicitly in that post:

- Johnson has a 1 year rollover extension go before the Board of Regents
- If approved (it was) the financial terms of Johnson's contract won't change - the salary, nor the scaled termination fees.

I believe that. After seeing the way Coyle maneuvered to pay as little as humanly possible upon Pitino's termination, I find it hard to believe that Johnson's buyout years would have been extended for another year after his first season and Coyle did not extend Pitino's buyout years with the last extension given to him.

The post continues with ----

Unless Johnson got an undisclosed raised, which would be possible given Coyle's quote, the absolute maxium the buyout could possibly be would be $1.95 million times the 3 remaining years on Johnson's contract

Then, the author goes on to say that the buyout could be 75% of his salary for the remaining years and it is not clear whether the amount per remaining year is based on FULL SALARY or BASE SALARY.

I think you just read a headline and stopped there.
This is from EG#9 on GopherHole in the same thread but not part of Shama's piece.
I'm quoting the journalist David Shama who actually spoke to the University for verification.

Im not criticizing the U. They are a very good school. They aren't elite. Princeton is elite. The only BIG school that can hang with schools like Princeton is Northwestern.
I think Michigan is considered pretty close.

This is from EG#9 on GopherHole in the same thread but not part of Shama's piece.
I'm quoting the journalist David Shama who actually spoke to the University for verification.
Calling Shama a journalist is like calling me the pope.

Calling Shama a journalist is like calling me the pope.
Not exactly....he has been earning a living as a journalist for 40-50 years. You may dress up in your pope custome on Halloween and we'll all call you the pope for a day but it's unlikely you'll earn a living doing it.

EG#9's post is what you linked.

The Shama post that appears at the top of the thread was written last spring and made the case that the buyout at that time (after two years) was about $8 million. That would be close to the amount you would get by multiplying 4 years by $1.95 million. There wasn't anything in there about a buyout after 3 years.

However, the buyout drops by 25% after year 3 and, AGAIN, it is far from clear that a 6th year was added to the buyout. If the contract life for buyout purposes remains at 5 years, the buyout after 3 years could be roughly 2 x 1.95 x .75 = $2.925 million. There was other information posted within the last month or so indicating that the buyout would be close to this amount. Even if there were 3 instead of 2 buyout years, the amount using the same methodology would be around $4.39 million.

So, the figure of $6 million after three years that you insist on throwing around like it's gospel has not been verified! Stop acting like it has been.

Not exactly....he has been earning a living as a journalist for 40-50 years. You may dress up in your pope custome on Halloween and we'll all call you the pope for a day but it's unlikely you'll earn a living doing it.
Cosplay Sid is not making a living off his Geocities-era website.

Getting a four year Bachelors Degree was sufficient.

Nice attempt at deflecting. Those events make you question what is being taught. Accountability and responsibility seem to be missing from the lesson plan.
I deflected nothing. I have no stake in defending the U of M for their stupid actions...I was just pointing out that their stupid actions are not that out of whack with what happens at colleges all over the place. That doesn't make it better, just a worthwhile fact.

But hey man you do you...I bet you feel all tall on your soapbox!

Oh how I agree .. I fully expect the u to join some sort of ivy league just to bump shoulders once the dust settles.... I love but hate the u of m
So your problem with the U of M as a college, the reason you "hate" them, is because they (again as a COLLEGE) want to have a high degree of education and be thought of or have the ability to rub shoulders with some of the best known and highly respected universities in the country/world? Am I reading that correctly?

Do you see how ridiculously illogical what you are saying is? The U of M doesn't exist to have a football or basketball team, the basketball and football team exist because of the U of M. One is infinitely more important than the other and here is proof. If the U of M shut down tomorrow there would be no Gopher Athletics. If Gopher Athletics disappeared tomorrow the U of M would not miss a beat.

For all of the talk about how much Big Ten Athletics makes...take a look at how much the Big Ten Universities bring in in research.

As a 2nd gen alumnus I (and my father for that matter) would hope the U of M is putting every effort in to making their education top notch. Then again I am one of those silly people who think a college's first duty is to educate those they are overcharging for their services.

Last edited:

Sid got paid longer and was wrong all the time. Reusse has been around forever and he is wrong quite often. Jim Souhan, Judd...need I go on.

You can choose to believe Shama if you like...if so I have a poker game coming up with some buddies and we would love to invite you out to hang! Don't worry if you get beat early we allow as many buy ins as you can afford!

EG#9's post is what you linked.

The Shama post that appears at the top of the thread was written last spring and made the case that the buyout at that time (after two years) was about $8 million. That would be close to the amount you would get by multiplying 4 years by $1.95 million. There wasn't anything in there about a buyout after 3 years.

However, the buyout drops by 25% after year 3 and, AGAIN, it is far from clear that a 6th year was added to the buyout. If the contract life for buyout purposes remains at 5 years, the buyout after 3 years could be roughly 2 x 1.95 x .75 = $2.925 million. There was other information posted within the last month or so indicating that the buyout would be close to this amount. Even if there were 3 instead of 2 buyout years, the amount using the same methodology would be around $4.39 million.

So, the figure of $6 million after three years that you insist on throwing around like it's gospel has not been verified! Stop acting like it has been.
If the link goes to EG#9 my apologies...it was not my intention. I linked the top of the thread or intended to.
This Shama article is dated Nov 19th. It is not old. Again he spoke to the U this month.

I deflected nothing. I have no stake in defending the U of M for their stupid actions...I was just pointing out that their stupid actions are not that out of whack with what happens at colleges all over the place. That doesn't make it better, just a worthwhile fact.

But hey man you do you...I bet you feel all tall on your soapbox!
Yes, when you have encountered this behavior and it negative impacts you, then you do remember it... vividly.

So your problem with the U of M as a college, the reason you "hate" them, is because they (again as a COLLEGE) want to have a high degree of education and be thought of or have the ability to rub shoulders with some of the best known and highly respected universities in the country/world? Am I reading that correctly?

Do you see how ridiculously illogical what you are saying is? The U of M doesn't exist to have a football or basketball team, the basketball and football team exist because of the U of M. One is infinitely more important than the other and here is proof. If the U of M shut down tomorrow there would be no Gopher Athletics. If Gopher Athletics disappeared tomorrow the U of M would not miss a beat.

For all of the talk about how much Big Ten Athletics makes...take a look at how much the Big Ten Universities bring in in research.

As a 2nd gen alumnus I (and my father for that matter) would hope the U of M is putting every effort in to making their education top notch. Then again I am one of those silly people who think a college's first duty is to educate those they are overcharging for their services.
If you are going to ask donors for millions of dollars to build stadiums and practice facilities because they support the U, then follow through and do things in a way that would facilitate winning on the court/field etc. A university benefits hugely from fielding really good athletic teams.
It's one of the best advertisements they can get.

Is sports the main priority? No. But if you are going to play in the highest level, then play to win. That includes picking a winning coach and paying for it.

If you are going to ask donors for millions of dollars to build stadiums and practice facilities because they support the U, then follow through and do things in a way that would facilitate winning on the court/field etc. A university benefits hugely from fielding really good athletic teams.

Is sports the main priority? No. But if you are going to play in the highest level, then play to win. That includes picking a winning coach and paying for it.
I am not disagreeing with any of that. I just find it bizarre that someone would complain that a major research university is hoping to be thought of as a high class research institution. The job of of the U of M is to educate students and do research first...a very distant second is have winning sports teams.

That said you are correct that just because they want to be thought of as a high end educational institution doesn't mean they should half ass their way through athletics. You can be successful at both.

When my dad was at the U that was sort of the beginning of the academic side trying to force a de-emphasis on athletics and he watched for 20 years as it got worse and worse. He would completely disagree that the current administration is acting in a way that is not trying to be successful because he saw how bad it can really get. It is better now than it was before but they still have a long ways to go to keep up with the Joneses.

I am not disagreeing with any of that. I just find it bizarre that someone would complain that a major research university is hoping to be thought of as a high class research institution. The job of of the U of M is to educate students and do research first...a very distant second is have winning sports teams.

That said you are correct that just because they want to be thought of as a high end educational institution doesn't mean they should half ass their way through athletics. You can be successful at both.

When my dad was at the U that was sort of the beginning of the academic side trying to force a de-emphasis on athletics and he watched for 20 years as it got worse and worse. He would completely disagree that the current administration is acting in a way that is not trying to be successful because he saw how bad it can really get. It is better now than it was before but they still have a long ways to go to keep up with the Joneses.
The Ken Keller era

Yes, that's it in a nutshell. Philosophically, I think the US made a major blunder a long time ago in linking sports with universities. It didn't have to be that way. Europe produces many fine basketball players without that system and Major League Baseball in the USA traditionally has not relied on that system. What US universities have done in football and basketball is provide the professional leagues with a minor league free of charge.

But, like you said, if you make the choice to participate then you should try your best to achieve. If not, then make the choice not to participate or drop to a lower-level conference. The University of Chicago was a member of the Big Ten from 1917 through 1946 and the predecessor Western Conference before that. They decided to no longer participate at that level (mostly they have been D3 since) and they are doing just fine as an elite academic university.

Yes, that's it in a nutshell. Philosophically, I think the US made a major blunder a long time ago in linking sports with universities. It didn't have to be that way. Europe produces many fine basketball players without that system and Major League Baseball in the USA traditionally has not relied on that system. What US universities have done in football and basketball is provide the professional leagues with a minor league free of charge.

But, like you said, if you make the choice to participate then you should try your best to achieve. If not, then make the choice not to participate or drop to a lower-level conference. The University of Chicago was a member of the Big Ten from 1917 through 1946 and the predecessor Western Conference before that. They decided to no longer participate at that level (mostly they have been D3 since) and they are doing just fine as an elite academic university.
This was around my father's years he didn't attend UMN or U Chicago. He graduated from Augsburg. He told me what a blunder U Chicago made because they lost a disproportionate amount of donors to the school when they dropped football in 1939. They added football back in 1969, btw.

What we have seen is that de-emphasizing athletics, especially football and basketball, drives down donations to a school. U Chicago did it in one fell swoop and had to back track 30 years later. UMN has been gradually doing it and suffering the same fate both at the donor level and state-funding level.

The hubris is strong on both sides of the argument, but I have only witnessed malevolence on one side, academia. Academia has a jealous streak that taints every discussion because of economies of scale. You have a chance to get more wealthy alumni from sports than you do most any other department and a majority of them would be football and basketball players.

This was around my father's years he didn't attend UMN or U Chicago. He graduated from Augsburg. He told me what a blunder U Chicago made because they lost a disproportionate amount of donors to the school when they dropped football in 1939. They added football back in 1969, btw.

What we have seen is that de-emphasizing athletics, especially football and basketball, drives down donations to a school. U Chicago did it in one fell swoop and had to back track 30 years later. UMN has been gradually doing it and suffering the same fate both at the donor level and state-funding level.

The hubris is strong on both sides of the argument, but I have only witnessed malevolence on one side, academia. Academia has a jealous streak that taints every discussion because of economies of scale. You have a chance to get more wealthy alumni from sports than you do most any other department and a majority of them would be football and basketball players.

The University of Chicago plays football but at the DIII level. Here is a list of universities that are among the Top 30 in endowments who do not play D1 sports:

MIT (#5)
Emory (#9)
Washington (St. Louis)(#12)
Chicago (#13)
Johns Hopkins (#16) - they play D1 in a couple of sports but not football or basketball
NYU (#21)
Cal Tech (#23)
Williams (#24)
Amherst (#26)
Pomona (#28)
Rochester (#29)

Most of the others in the top 30 do not play FBS football.

Obviously, you can get people to donate to your institution without playing high level sports. I suspect that most of those who donate to universities because of their sports programs donate most of their money to the athletic programs.

First you have to pick a winning president and pay for it. You can't bring in the provost from from the University of South Carolina who made her bones at Mizzou and expect great things.

A great university can have great academics, great research, great facilities and great sports....if it has great talent. That starts in the president's office. Use a different search firm than the one who promoted the Gabel candidacy. The search committee needs fresh faces. Be prepared to pay the highest salary in the B1G, by far. Make it a job that the best candidates can't turn down, climate be damned.

If you get and keep the right president, everything gets easier.

Top Bottom