The protect 5 schedule

Some guy

Reaction score
Protect 5 every year
Rotate the other 4 amongst the 8 teams left.

See every team home and home in a 4 year stretch. Play 5 protected per year.

This is the first schedule I see that makes sense:
Team - protected

Illinois - northwestern, Purdue, Ohio state, Iowa, Indiana

Indiana - Purdue, Illinois, northwestern, Rutgers, Michigan

Iowa - Minnesota, Nebraska, wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue

Maryland - Penn state, Rutgers, Michigan state, Michigan, wisconsin

Michigan - Ohio state, Michigan state, Minnesota, Maryland, Indiana

Michigan state - Michigan, Penn state, rutgers, Maryland, Ohio state

Minnesota - Iowa, Michigan, wisconsin, Nebraska, Purdue

Nebraska - Iowa, Minnesota, wisconsin, Penn state, northwestern

Northwestern - Illinois, purdue, wisconsin, Indiana, nebraska

Ohio state - Illinois, Michigan, Penn state, Michigan state, rutgers

Rutgers - Maryland, Penn state, Indiana, Ohio state, Michigan state

Penn state - Maryland, Michigan state, Rutgers, Nebraska, Ohio state

Purdue - Illinois, Indiana, northwestern, Iowa, Minnesota

Wisconsin - Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, northwestern, Maryland

Closed circles:
1) Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska wisconsin
2) Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, northwestern
3) Michigan, Michigan state, Ohio state
4) Maryland, penn state, Rutgers

So impossible to have more than 4 unbeatens where none played each other. Could design the schedule so that 2 of those four circles always close each other.

though it is possible to see every team home and home in 4 years. If you extend it to 6 year cycle
Year 1 and 4:
Group 1 crosses with group 2 (some are already locked)
Group 3 crosses with group 4 (some are already locked)

Year 2 and 5
Group 1 crosses with group 3 (some already locked)
Group 2 crosses with group 4 (some already locked)

Year 3 and 6:
Group 1 crosses with group 4 (some already locked)
Group 2 crosses with group 3 (some already locked)

Essentially what this does is create scheduling divisions that move every year.

Year 1 and 4 here are the divisions
Big ten west + Indiana (8)
Big ten east - Indiana (6)

Year 2 and 5 here are the divisions
Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, wisconsin, Michigan state, Michigan, Ohio state (7)

Penn state, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, northwestern, Indiana (7)

Year 3 and 6 here are the divisions
Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, wisconsin, Maryland, Penn state, Rutgers (7)

Michigan state, Michigan, Ohio state, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, northwestern (7)

The biggest flaw I see in the schedule is in year 2 and 5 Penn state could walk to a “division” title however, division champions don’t go…number 1 and 2 go and Penn state is locked into games with Michigan state, Ohio state, and Nebraska so it isn’t like they’ll play nobody

Minnesota in a 3 year stretch of schedules
Year 1:
Purdue
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
+1 random

Year 2
Purdue
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan state
Ohio state
+ 2 random

Year 3
Purdue
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan
Maryland
Penn state
Rutgers
+1 random

Pool of “random” teams for Minnesota is:
Ohio state, Penn state, Rutgers, Maryland Michigan state, Illinois, northwestern, Indiana
Fill in opposite site of when you play them as part of the scheduling cycle.

In 3 years you would play every team.
In 3 years you would play 9 of the other 13 teams home and home but for 4 teams it might take up to 6 years to get a home and home.
5 teams you would get every year.

There will no longer be divisions.
There will be a few protected opponents for every team.
A computer will make the schedule.
And some folks have some dead time to fill in.

There will no longer be divisions.
There will be a few protected opponents for every team.
A computer will make the schedule.
And some folks have some dead time to fill in.
The computer will make a schedule based on the inputs into the computer. Yeah

Guy on message board accuses others of having too much dead time lol

GUILTY but at least I’m self-aware

The computer will make a schedule based on the inputs into the computer. Yeah

Guy on message board accuses others of having too much dead time lol

GUILTY but at least I’m self-aware
As a retired programmer, computer are neither smart nor stupid. For sure they do not make schedules. I used to think in the real world someone always gets their way and the rest follow. Who will get their way in this issue?

As a retired programmer, computer are neither smart nor stupid. For sure they do not make schedules. I used to think in the real world someone always gets their way and the rest follow. Who will get their way in this issue?
I’ve built schedules before. And you certainly don’t do it all by hand. But you do have to pick the parameters of what you want before you run a program.

For a fan, what those parameters matter to me. I guess it doesn’t matter to Plato. Plato doesn’t have enough time to think about such things. But Plato does have enough time to come talk about how he doesn’t have enough time

I’ve built schedules before. And you certainly don’t do it all by hand. But you do have to pick the parameters of what you want before you run a program.

For a fan, what those parameters matter to me. I guess it doesn’t matter to Plato. Plato doesn’t have enough time to think about such things. But Plato does have enough time to come talk about how he doesn’t have enough time
Reminds me of someone I worked with who would wander the building telling people how busy she was. But we digress..........

I like the idea of 4 pods. Then in order to avoid a "East vs West" you make the final week of the season being the "pod" winners from each group playing in a defacto playoff. Seeding being based on what they are currently ranked in the BCS rankings. Every other team plays teams from other pods they haven't played yet with similar records. It would impact a lot of end of season traditional games, but would be great for TV to have a Big Ten end of season playoff that creates a compelling championship game.

I like the idea of 4 pods. Then in order to avoid a "East vs West" you make the final week of the season being the "pod" winners from each group playing in a defacto playoff. Seeding being based on what they are currently ranked in the BCS rankings. Every other team plays teams from other pods they haven't played yet with similar records. It would impact a lot of end of season traditional games, but would be great for TV to have a Big Ten end of season playoff that creates a compelling championship game.
I don’t think conference love the idea of flexible scheduling because game day for football is such an event/production

Maybe they could do it so they know who is home when well in advance just opponent is unknown…but I don’t think the conference wants spur of the moment games

You can’t have 4 pods with 14 teams. Ask a computer.

Did you ask a computer?
I just don’t understand why people come on a message board and post about how people post too much

It’s like, do you realize where you are?

It’s like going to a library and complaining about too many books.
Or going to a bar and complaining about drunk people.
Or going to Wisconsin and complaining about bestiality

Minnesota in a 3 year stretch of schedules
Year 1:
Purdue
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan
Illinois
Indiana
Northwestern
+1 random

Year 2
Purdue
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan
Michigan state
Ohio state
+ 2 random

Year 3
Purdue
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Michigan
Maryland
Penn state
Rutgers
+1 random

Pool of “random” teams for Minnesota is:
Ohio state, Penn state, Rutgers, Maryland Michigan state, Illinois, northwestern, Indiana
Fill in opposite site of when you play them as part of the scheduling cycle.

In 3 years you would play every team.
In 3 years you would play 9 of the other 13 teams home and home but for 4 teams it might take up to 6 years to get a home and home.
5 teams you would get every year.
Appreciate the time you put into this. Thanks. 👍🏼

to each their own.

If Some Guy wants to spend all day thinking about football schedules, he has every right to do so.

it is clearly something he thinks about a great deal.

Shoot, he may think about schedules more than the people who actually make the real B1G schedule.

In the end, someone will come up with a schedule. and the fans of (probably) 13 teams in the B1G will complain that they got hosed.

to each their own.

If Some Guy wants to spend all day thinking about football schedules, he has every right to do so.

it is clearly something he thinks about a great deal.

Shoot, he may think about schedules more than the people who actually make the real B1G schedule.

In the end, someone will come up with a schedule. and the fans of (probably) 13 teams in the B1G will complain that they got hosed.
I appreciate your support

The problem for Minnesota is that our rivals (approximated by the trophy games) are a giant scheduling murdersaurus - the historically best football teams in the conference ex. Ohio State. Yeah, I know Nebraska sucks now but NIL will help them and they won't be awful forever.

The more games they protect, the bigger pod they build...the worse it gets for the Gophers winning any kind of season-long race. It will be nice week to week to still have our big rivalry games and to play the big trophy games (including the Chair) every year but the days of having a real shot at winning the Big Ten in football may be over.

Top Bottom