The peak of the Pitino era

howeda7

Reaction score
To me it was the the Alabama game in 2017 before the 5-on-3 situation happened. Looked like we were headed to back-to-back top 5 finishes. IIRC, we were 6-0 and running a ranked team out of the building. Then it got weird. Then the whole season went south. The Pitino era never got back to that level. Nail in the coffin tonight.

yup.
I decided about midway though last year that I was out on Pitino.

I personally don’t think he will get fired until after next year though. Because Croyle had to know we would be average this year

yup.

I personally don’t think he will get fired until after next year though. Because Croyle had to know we would be average this year
At this point we might end up 13-18. That's not even average.

Fire him! We just need a great recruiter and a average coach with all the talent in the state

giphy.gif

yup.

I'm not saying this is your mindset, because I wouldn't be shocked if it's Coyle's. But Pitino has been here so long now, if an under .500 season and 12th place in the Big 10 is so expected that we'd have to wait until next year to fire him, that says everything you need to know about the state of our program.

I think the peak was him winning the NIT. That is the reason he has hung on for 7 years.

To me it was the the Alabama game in 2017 before the 5-on-3 situation happened. Looked like we were headed to back-to-back top 5 finishes. IIRC, we were 6-0 and running a ranked team out of the building. Then it got weird. Then the whole season went south. The Pitino era never got back to that level. Nail in the coffin tonight.

We got past that level last March. Winning an NCAA Tournament game > winning non-conference games.

That being said, he needs to be fired and we need to start over.

I think the peak was him winning the NIT. That is the reason he has hung on for 7 years.

The peak was winning an NCAA tournament game. I'd rather win 1 NCAA tournament game than back-to-back-to-back-to-back NIT Championships.

yup.

So, what do we have coming into the program next year? I'm asking because I've been a Pitino Apologist up until tonight. Tonight was a must win game, and well, I'm asking because Oturu has not been improving his Draft status, if he comes back next year, well hopefully he improves, maybe Curry finally gets to play helping out bench, maybe Gabe fixes his shooting issues, if Carr matures and improves, I guess what I am saying is we don't lose anyone worth a damn, do we? If you add some young talent, everyone improves, maybe some of our competition loses some players and so if the B1G isn't as deep as it was this year, Pitino could have a much better season and then of course, that decreases the chances of him being fired. I'm thinking then we opt to stick with him for a few more years? If we are going to part ways with Pitino, it needs to probably happen at the end of this year so whoever the new coach is will have some talent to work with.

The curse of Reggie Lynch

Hate that we won't get to see Mashburn Jr. in a Gopher uniform. I'd bet the house that he's going to reopen his recruitment. Same can be said for Mitchell. But that's the price you have to pay to get the program back on the right footing. Walton was likely waiting to see MNs coaching situation at season's end also.

We got past that level last March. Winning an NCAA Tournament game > winning non-conference games.

No, I think the OP had had it right. The program peaked at the Alabama game. Last March was a disappointing end to and incredibly disappointing season.

Hate that we won't get to see Mashburn Jr. in a Gopher uniform. I'd bet the house that he's going to reopen his recruitment. Same can be said for Mitchell. But that's the price you have to pay to get the program back on the right footing. Walton was likely waiting to see MNs coaching situation at season's end also.

Why would Minnesota let them out of their NLIs?

I'd say the peak of the Pitino era was the 2016 8 game B1G winning streak. That was the best his offense ever looked and the most consistent play from the team.

I don't think 2017 was ever going to be that good. We really missed an Akeem Springs type on the perimeter who was physical on defense and a vocal leader. We started strong, but after the 5-3 game and before the Lynch suspension the Gophers lost a huge game at home to Miami, got blown out in terrible performances at Nebraska and Arkansas and then came home and barely snuck by Drake. The fact that the team basically rolled over and quit for much of the B1G schedule that year didn't say much about there mental toughness either. Wisconsin won more with less (just like they are doing this year) that year.

I actually think Pitino's best coaching job was his first year. That group got within a game or two of the NCAA tournament.

Last year we were a below .500 B1G team who got hot and won a tournament game. In terms of overall direction of the program, that game was the peak.

Last year we were a below .500 B1G team who got hot and won a tournament game. In terms of overall direction of the program, that game was the peak.
I think that's right especially direction of the program. He certainly peaked with his highest ranking during that time.

To me it was the the Alabama game in 2017 before the 5-on-3 situation happened.
If somebody needed any bigger indication that a person was just flat out a below average coach, that was it. I mean....what coach nearly loses a game of 5-3 after having a large lead?

If Oturu bolts for the draft, next year is going to be very, very ugly, IMO.

If somebody needed any bigger indication that a person was just flat out a below average coach, that was it. I mean....what coach nearly loses a game of 5-3 after having a large lead?

I guess I would put him at below average Big Ten Coach. This, by definition, probably makes him an above average coach...

If Oturu returns, and he might as his draft stock has been dropping recently, if Curry can play next year, then 6 of our Top 18 recruits in the 247 era, will all be on next year's roster.

#3 all-time Oturu, #8 Mashburn, #9 Ihnen, #15 Curry, #16 Tre Williams & #18 Mitchell.

Add to that Carr and Willis, Gabe and Omersa and hell, that almost seems like a lineup that could improve a great deal compared to this year's?

Now I am not necessarily trying to defend Pitino, but I guess I'm saying, lets try to make sure to have a coach next year that can keep all of those players on the team and can win with them.

If Oturu returns, and he might as his draft stock has been dropping recently, if Curry can play next year, then 6 of our Top 18 recruits in the 247 era, will all be on next year's roster.

#3 all-time Oturu, #8 Mashburn, #9 Ihnen, #15 Curry, #16 Tre Williams & #18 Mitchell.

Add to that Carr and Willis, Gabe and Omersa and hell, that almost seems like a lineup that could improve a great deal compared to this year's?

Now I am not necessarily trying to defend Pitino, but I guess I'm saying, lets try to make sure to have a coach next year that can keep all of those players on the team and can win with them.

Pitino is getting fired and there will be transfers and recruits leaving....Mashburn for sure......The cupboard will be bare but a change has to happen...46-79 in the B10 is not good enough.

So, what do we have coming into the program next year? I'm asking because I've been a Pitino Apologist up until tonight. Tonight was a must win game, and well, I'm asking because Oturu has not been improving his Draft status, if he comes back next year, well hopefully he improves, maybe Curry finally gets to play helping out bench, maybe Gabe fixes his shooting issues, if Carr matures and improves, I guess what I am saying is we don't lose anyone worth a damn, do we? If you add some young talent, everyone improves, maybe some of our competition loses some players and so if the B1G isn't as deep as it was this year, Pitino could have a much better season and then of course, that decreases the chances of him being fired. I'm thinking then we opt to stick with him for a few more years? If we are going to part ways with Pitino, it needs to probably happen at the end of this year so whoever the new coach is will have some talent to work with.
If Oturu came back next year I think a reasonable expectation by everyone would be 6th or better in conference. I think next years roster with Oturu is good enough to do that.
We will have more depth of experience next year. I think Mashburn Jr and Jr Omursa is better than Demir and Soph Omursa. That combined with the backcourt being a year older and we probably win a couple more of the close ones next year that we lost this year.

As I said, Coyle is probably smart enough to know that we were going to take a step back this year. So if he is going to fire him for 7-13 or 8-12 this year...he probably would’ve just fired him last year.

if we were being non-competitive I also think it would be different. We are 3 games out of 3rd place having played the bottom two in the conference only one time. Not saying I think we are close or I think he has done a good job. Just saying I don’t think he gets fired this year. We would’ve had to be 4 or fewer big ten wins OR getting blown out consistently.

I'm not saying this is your mindset, because I wouldn't be shocked if it's Coyle's. But Pitino has been here so long now, if an under .500 season and 12th place in the Big 10 is so expected that we'd have to wait until next year to fire him, that says everything you need to know about the state of our program.
Agreed. It’s not a good sign for the program.

I don’t think our athletic department is flush with cash to do two major program rebuilds at the same time. I think Coyle clearly wanted football first. I think Coyle clearly thinks/thought Pitino was doing enough things correctly either on the court or off the court to merit giving him some time.

Who should the new coach be, STAN? Put up.

Git er done, STAN!!!!!

If Oturu came back next year I think a reasonable expectation by everyone would be 6th or better in conference. I think next years roster with Oturu is good enough to do that.
We will have more depth of experience next year. I think Mashburn Jr and Jr Omursa is better than Demir and Soph Omursa. That combined with the backcourt being a year older and we probably win a couple more of the close ones next year that we lost this year.

As I said, Coyle is probably smart enough to know that we were going to take a step back this year. So if he is going to fire him for 7-13 or 8-12 this year...he probably would’ve just fired him last year.

if we were being non-competitive I also think it would be different. We are 3 games out of 3rd place having played the bottom two in the conference only one time. Not saying I think we are close or I think he has done a good job. Just saying I don’t think he gets fired this year. We would’ve had to be 4 or fewer big ten wins OR getting blown out consistently.
To me, this is the strongest case for retaining Pitino: that this year's team more or less met expectations and that next year's team will be better. Of course, you have to be careful making that point because any program where a 12th-place finish is meeting expectations hasn't set the bar high enough. Ultimately the question is whether it's reasonable to judge someone on a 7-year body of work, and of course it is.

Top Bottom