The open 3 pointer is a vulnerability of Tubby's defense

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
I see a lot of people complaining about the open 3's by teams that play the Gophers. Actually, this has more to do with ball line defense than our players. Let me preface by saying that no defense is perfect. Ball line defense is designed to make the offense take a lower percentage shot, which would be the 3 pointer, while contesting shots inside the arc.

Tubby's defense depends on long, athletic wings to make up for this vulnerability. When we get players that are quicker and more athletic, we'll then be able to defend the 3 a whole lot better. Right now, we don't have the roster for that. So when a team, like Michigan, gets hot from the outside, it spells trouble for any Tubby coached team.

Like I said, there are positives and negatives to any defensive scheme. One positive of Tubby's system is that you'll hardly ever see back door cuts. Unless I missed a game, I don't recall anyone hitting the Gophers on back door cuts. Also, this defensive scheme "should" make it difficult to score inside. The beauty of it will come to light once Tubby gets the right players in here. If you want to see Tubby's work at it's best, check out the 2003 and 2004 UK teams.

I just wanted to give some insight to folks who wonder we have trouble defending the 3.

Stay at home.

It just seems to me we have our wings (except DJ who guards the other teams best player) help too much. Watching the tape, Devoe and Hoff especially like to pinch in on any penetrator, and can't get back to their man once the ball is kicked back out. Heck we lead the nation in shot blocking let the bigs take care of that.

Also, last night night Sims hurt us when our bigs went to help and he found some open space on the outside.

Part the post game post mortum for me is trying to figure out whether we played poorly or the other team played well, and last night I think we have to tip our cap to the Wolverines. While our defense wasn't stellar, I don't think they were getting "wide open," looks.

The Wolverines didn't shoot until end of the shot clock, and our defense got looser the longer the possession goes. That hurt us too. I actually don't think we played poorly. We played better than we did the past 2 games I think. I think Michigan was just a bit hungrier than us.

"I think Michigan was just a bit hungrier than us."

I believe they were hungrier...and I can't for the life of me understand why.

Top Bottom