The more I read about this search

pel76

Reaction score
I'm more convinced a 10 year old kid could lead a better search than Joel Maturi. What a trainwreck this guy is.

Well, then I guess we can expect you to apply for the job in a couple years.

Maturi might have lucked out with this one but his style was atrocious and he really laid a public relations bomb with the whole thing. Hopefully Kill will last a long time though and Maturi won't get another chance to hire another coach.

Great OP. After weeks of "fire Maturi" and "Maturi is an idiot" threads, I still wasn't sure what people thought about him. Thanks for clearing that up, but I think I'll move on and focus on something positive.

I just saw the Mona quote . . .

I'm more convinced a 10 year old kid could lead a better search than Joel Maturi. What a trainwreck this guy is.

where he said that Kill was the only offer made. If that is true, Maturi should resign tomorrow. I know that the kool-aid drinkers will consider this heresy, but no matter how good a guy he is, Kill should not have been our first and only offer when you consider that there were any number of more qualified candidates out there.

broken-record.jpg

For you young ones, that's called a record.

The really cool thing about them is they had music on BOTH sides. I tried to sell a bunch of old LP's at a garage sale a while back. The way kids were looking at them reminded me of the scene in 2001 when the Ape first picks up the bone.

All kidding aside, yeah, Maturi didn't cover himself with glory on this one. While this may turn out to be a good hire, the big issue isn't how the search firm performed. Where we really get a fail is how the whole PR angle was handled. Especially in terms of managing expectations. WTF was Mona doing, aside from carrying Joel's bags. Was he there just so Maturi wasn't drinking alone in hotel bars?

The really cool thing about them is they had music on BOTH sides. I tried to sell a bunch of old LP's at a garage sale a while back. The way kids were looking at them reminded me of the scene in 2001 when the Ape first picks up the bone.

All kidding aside, yeah, Maturi didn't cover himself with glory on this one. While this may turn out to be a good hire, the big issue isn't how the search firm performed. Where we really get a fail is how the whole PR angle was handled. Especially in terms of managing expectations. WTF was Mona doing, aside from carrying Joel's bags. Was he there just so Maturi wasn't drinking alone in hotel bars?

Mona's job was to help sell coaching candidates on everything Minnesota and the U has to offer. Obviously, it was too big of a job for even Mona. There are many better places for big time coaches to go. Minnesota is a burial ground for DI college football coaches.

We really dont know all the inside scoop on the search process. I agree with most of the posters here. That said, we all want our new coach Jerry Kill to succeed. There is no doubt he is a good and sincere man who can coach and has won. This program is riddled with many good men with sincere intentions, who can coach, are good men, but have not succeeded. The realities are that it takes more than a coach to build a program. I hope Coach Kill gets the commitment and support (not LIP service) from the Presidents office down to be given a real chance for true success. Many other great men and coaches have tried and are considered as failures only to be ridiculed and made scape goats for systemic problems that make it almost impossible to create a winner at the U of M.

I hope the difficulties experienced by the U of M leadership in this search have made clear the new realities and an environment that will give Coach Kill a fighting chance. We all crave the resurrection of the Gophers of old. Hope is the key word.

Mona's job was to help sell coaching candidates on everything Minnesota and the U has to offer. Obviously, it was too big of a job for even Mona. There are many better places for big time coaches to go. Minnesota is a burial ground for DI college football coaches.

The coaching candidates turned down this job for one reason only = Maturi. He's a complete wreck, no high profile coach will put up with him. For Kill it's worth the risk because the big ten is such a jump from northern.

THere were other factors, like that St. Thom alum that gave 5 Million to San Diego in order to keep Hoke around.. I really believe that Hoke was the primary target and then it shifted at the last second..

There are things people just aren't going to know about for a while but I am sure it will come out... I don't like the way it was handled but there may have been circumstances beyond what Maturi could control. His main error was the mention of a Tubby Hire..

The coaching candidates turned down this job for one reason only = Maturi. He's a complete wreck, no high profile coach will put up with him. For Kill it's worth the risk because the big ten is such a jump from northern.

If people think Maturi is the one reason, they don't know the history of the last 40+ years of Gopher Football.

Come on people get over it.

This is a problem with some of you. You are not being realistic at all and it clouds your opinnions. Everyone wants to say Maturi is the reason we don't have a big name coach right now. Maybe he is part of the problem but I would think the biggest problem is 40 years with no titles. This is not a good program period end of story. I am a huge Gopher fan but its so bad that we as fans are thrilled with 8 win seasons. 8 win seasons at some schools will get the coach fired on its own and that is something we are hoping for. When was the last time we played in anything but a mid tier to lower bowl? Hell the students are not willing to fill their section at a brand new stadium and you wonder why a big name coach wouldnt want to be here? Money is only part of the problem the lack of success for over 40 years and the fact that nearly every head coach who has left this school has struggled to get any significant job afterwards are bigger problems. This is a place most coaches have come to see their careers end not take off. Go ahead and blame Maturi if it makes you feel better and I am not saying he isnt part of the problem but 40 years of nothing special is a bigger problem.

Bigger Mistake?

Firing Mason or Hiring Brewster?

If people think Maturi is the one reason, they don't know the history of the last 40+ years of Gopher Football.

Like a majority of Badger fans, it's difficult for some to look more than 6-8 years back.

Let's keep beating this horse though. I don't think everyone has heard just yet that the majority opinion of the Athletic Director is a low one.

Keep doing the Lord's work... get the word out.

Bigger Mistake?

Firing Mason or Hiring Brewster?

Hiring Brew and it isn't even close. That said, the timing of Mase's firing is probably the biggest mistake of all because it lead us to Brew.

Don't forget that Michelle Tafoya 'happened' to be on that plane.

The more I learn about Coach Kill the less I care about the search process.

I think the biggest problem Maturi has is that this should have been the type of hire after Mason and he completely wiffed on Brewster. Maturi set himself up for any and all criticism.

I think the biggest problem Maturi has is that this should have been the type of hire after Mason and he completely wiffed on Brewster. Maturi set himself up for any and all criticism.

In late 2010, that is completely clear to everyone.

But at the time it happened, Brewster "appeared" to be what was needed. Think about the football climate at the time. Mason year after year lost big leads late in big games. He schedule cream-puffs to pad his record. He had no relationship with "everyday Minnesota people", nor the HS coaches. He hid from criticism. Brewster "appeared" to be the opposite...restore pride, quit apologizing. So he hired Brewster, thinking he could also coach.

But Brewster did not have a history of having a plan to win...and kept changing his plan all the time. And he could not adjust. I remember sitting thru the 55-0 Iowa disaster until he changed QB's...it was 55-0 before he put Mortenson in. What an idiot. Good way to ruin a young QB and the hope of a Senior who had stuck by the program all that time.

But he did make a mistake...hiring Brewster was a disaster, not getting rid of him earlier was a bigger disaster!

His 2nd mistake was blurting out in a moment of enthusiasm that he was going to make another Tubby type hire...a big name. He was trying to say he wouldn't hire another Brewster and he wanted to be emphatic...but it really was stupid to say what he said.

So Maturi has made mistakes, no question about it.

But I think that the search produced the best candidate available for the job and when it works out, Maturi should get credit for it!

Top Bottom