The Key Stretch for Gophers this season

I disagree a little, because I don't see Cal as a MUST WIN.

Consider:

@ Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue

In my opinion, we MUST win at least 2 of these games in order to go to any bowl (with the possibility of a quality bowl out there).

In terms of the TOUGHEST stretch, I'd say...

@ Penn State
@ Ohio State
Michigan State

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Go Gophers!

I agree with GoGophersRah...@NW, Wisc, Purdue is more important than Cal. All those conference games are winnable and could build momentum into the brutal stretch of @PSU, @OSU and MSU.

Isn't it amazing that Minnesota will play 8 teams that were ranked last year?

And AFA was almost ranked in at least one poll.

Of course, wisky and NU owned brewster the last two seasons.

Owned him? Do you realize that the total point difference in those 4 games is 18 points? 4.5 points a game. If the Gophers are 1 or 2 plays better in each of those games, those are all wins. That being said, 8-4 or 7-5 are reasonable predictions. 9-3 is also a possibility, as is 12-0 until proven otherwise.

Owned him? Do you realize that the total point difference in those 4 games is 18 points? 4.5 points a game. If the Gophers are 1 or 2 plays better in each of those games, those are all wins. That being said, 8-4 or 7-5 are reasonable predictions. 9-3 is also a possibility, as is 12-0 until proven otherwise.

If the games are played that closely two years in succession and all 4 games are lost, that is a symptom of very poor coaching. These were teams that Minnesota should have beaten, but did not beat. Especially the 2007 NU game in Evanston. Minnesota had a 3 td lead very late in the 3rd quarter. For the Gophers in 2009, worst case: 4-8. Best case: 6-6. Most likely: 5-7 I think the 2009 schedule is by far the toughest that we have seen in the brewball era.

I disagree a little, because I don't see Cal as a MUST WIN.

Consider:

@ Northwestern
Wisconsin
Purdue

In my opinion, we MUST win at least 2 of these games in order to go to any bowl (with the possibility of a quality bowl out there).

In terms of the TOUGHEST stretch, I'd say...

@ Penn State
@ Ohio State
Michigan State

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Go Gophers!

I don't see that as a must-win either, but I didn't read Rittenberg's comments that way (unless I misinterpreted it). I think he just meant we need to be competitive, which is also my opinion.

I think the 2009 schedule is by far the toughest that we have seen in the brewball era.

This schedule seems tougher than anything Mason or Wacker had. It almost feels like the type of schedule we had in the 70's and early 80's. Can anyone think of when we had a tougher schedule?

I don't think that would be too hard to do. One only has to go back to the 2006 season. Minnesota played Kent State. At Cal. Temple. @ Purdue. Michigan. Penn State. At wisky. NDSU. At Ohio State. Indy. At MSU. iowa.

In the final season polls for the 2006 season Ohio State finished number 2 in the nation. wisky finished #7 in the nation. Michigan finished #8 in the nation. And Cal finished #14 in the nation.

In 2009 we have Cal, OSU, PSU and no other seriously good teams. All the rest (MSU, Illinois, NU, wisky, iowa and Purdue have serious question marks for the 2009 season.

Granted, the schedule is more difficult than the 2007 schedule and the 2008 schedule...but...that 2006 schedule really was tougher than the 2009 schedule.

northwestern is a dam huge game ........friggin HUGE

you win and come home to wisconsin and purdue...........you have a dam good chance at starting 3-0

lose the NW game and we have to win the wisconsin and purdue games

Top Bottom